Looking for first 7 string. Budget with intent to mod it?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by jbacolyte, Sep 12, 2019.

1. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

Never really played seven strings but there are some songs I want to learn and some styles I want to write that make it something desireable.

Thought maybe to pick up an Agile but then thought maybe there are some other options to get what I need.

Right now I am playing a squier strat that I have modded extensively but it just is not making me feel the metal anymore.

What is something I can pick up that can get me there learning that I can mod later to get better sounds as time goes on.

2. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Harley Bentons are hot right now in the budget and modding community. IIRC you can only order directly from Thomann so shipping might kill the deal depending, but they do pop up used here and there, they're just not as common yet. Agiles are great and can be picked up for basically nothing on the used market. Ibbys too, given how popular and common they are you'll never be at a shortage for finding parts.

3. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

Any specific models worth mentioning? I actually love my Agile AL 3200. quality of that instrument is very high

4. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

I've owned maybe a dozen or more Agile's of varying quality levels, and none really disappointed me. They have a heap of really nice looking stuff up right now, and if I had the money right now, I'd probably snag up the tribal purple Septor 727. (Only $360)

The only real issue I ever had with them was with a floyded interceptor. The string spacing was kinda wide at the bridge, so the high E was super close to the edge of the fretboard. Still playable, but noticeably more difficult. Never tried any other floyd Agiles since, but all the hard tails have been delightful. A lot of the parts are quality, too... Really, you'd only probably end up swapping out the pickups. (though, honestly, I like the pickups in the Agile.)

5. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

from what I have read with Agile you get a higher quality than something at a comparable price point from say jackson or ibanez. I might never own a mayo or anything like that so maybe Agile is my best bet.

6. Señor Voorhees

Señor Voorhees SS.org Regular

They're a pretty safe bet in my experience. You might need to do some setup work, but the fretwork and such were always decent. On top of that, if you live in the US, the return policy is top notch. If you get a lemon, you can return them with little to no hassle.

I used to have nothing but budget guitars, and for the price nothing was ever quite nearly as close. As an example, the Ibanez 7421 (indo made variant) I had was more expensive than the above mentioned 727 by about $50 and it's fret ends were like a cheese grater. (truly awful)

Agile also does offer some sick options that a lot of brands don't. You have a choice in scale lengths, which is huge... I noticed a 25.5", 27" and 28 5/8" scale variants of the septor. (the most expensive of which is still only $560 and comes with EMG's... Love them or hate them, they cost money.)

7. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

never had emgs. My guitars are noisy as hell in my apartment. think that or fishman will help that?

8. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

Find a used LTD H-207.

9. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

how does it compare to an Agile?

10. gunch

gunch Riff Chugman

I'd get an old korean schec, ibanez or LTD if you have the intent to mod/hot rod

An old WMI LTD H-207 would compare fairly close to a high spec Agile, just it would have worse pickups (duncan designed most likely)

Merrekof likes this.
  11. Bforber

Bforber SS.org Regular

I've had one for like... 16 or 17 years. I put some new tuners and pickups in. I love it, but I don't downtune a lot so the 25.5" scale is a non issue for me like it might be for some.

12. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

Yeah im thinking of getting into the 27 range so I can get some of those downtuned tones. I wonder if i might skip 7 altogether and just go 8

13. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

do you guys think bolt on necks are ok or if im going agile is it worth it to spring for the neck through construction?
    Actually love the neck through on my al3200

14. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

I find that EMGs tend to make the guitar signal cleaner, less hissy/noisy, especially with high gain setups. I imagine that would be similarly true of other active designs.

15. jbacolyte

jbacolyte SS.org Regular

right on maybe ill give them a try. trying to decide if i need a neck through or not.

16. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Member

Neck-thru is amazing, but be ready to wrap the strings above the nut and below the bridge (if string-thru), or you'll hear those lengths of strings chiming and resonating.