Looking for feedback on a metal mix

Discussion in 'Recording Studio' started by sezna, Nov 14, 2019.

1. sezna

sezna undermotivated Contributor

Hello! This is my very first time doing a "full" production by myself without outsourcing any part of it. It sounds a little bootleg. I did some "mixing" and "mastering" according to the guides I could find out there, but I'm sure this is still sufficiently nooby. If anybody has the time to give it a listen and throw me a few tips or criticisms, I'd appreciate it.

My workflow is a Helix into Reaper for guitar and vsts/hardware synths for all the other stuff.

Thanks!

https://soundcloud.com/ahansen14/rosedale

2. HelloImDavidHaha

HelloImDavidHaha Has back problems

Hey dude! A good place to start would be doubling your guitars and panning them hard left and hard right. That way you can create some space for the rest of the instruments and vocals cause it sounds like everything is mixed in mono. Cool riffs though!

3. sezna

Thanks! I have the guitars as left/right 60% with a center guitar track as well. Is it common to completely forego the center guitar track and hard pan the guitars?

4. sezna

5. HelloImDavidHaha

HelloImDavidHaha Has back problems

Sounds good man! I usually leave my guitar leads in the center and sometimes I throw these one shot riffs in the middle as well. The only time I put my guitars anywhere else (50% L/R for example) is if it's supplementing the hard-panned L/R guitars or if I want a lead that isn't super distracting i'll double the leads and pan them that way. Keep it up though, you're doing great!