Looking for examples on "bedroom-produced" music

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Zalbu, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

No, I'm saying that he made it popular amongst us djent kids. How far back does home recording go, anyways?

2. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Home recording goes back to 4-track tape devices, even earlier really. I'd still argue that *he* made it popular. You're misdirecting your credit. You know who made it popular?... the companies that made these software's and devices that allowed us to get full on drum kits and amplifier sounds in our bedrooms. Misha merely used tools that were already in existence and was tech savvy enough to use them well to get great sounding results. I was using DFH Superior (Superior Drummer's predecessor obviously) before I even knew Misha's name. And before DFH Superior was Drumkit from Hell. So my point is the makers of these items (Toontrack, Line 6, Cubase, ProTools, Logic, Reason, Native Instruments, AxeFX, etc) are all innovators in home recording.

Rev.

3. Zalbu

Zalbu More time than skill

Well of course they're the innovators, but you still need somebody who comes along to show people that it's possible to get studio-level recordings when all you have is some gear and a PC. It would've happen sooner or later without Misha but he was at the right place at the right time and now he's the poster kid for all the new wave of prog metal solo projects.

4. Narrillnezzurh

Narrillnezzurh Sir Clipsalot

possible != popular

5. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

It was happening well before Misha. He wasn't in "the right place right time" the tools were and had matured. They'd gotten better and better over several revisions.

You're a fan and admirer and that's great and he deserves it, but please don't try to falsely write a place in recording history for the man. You're on one forum whose users are mostly geared toward a specific genre of music and its subsets. There are musicians in Rock and Roll, Country, EDM, Pop, Industrial etc all who have been making studio quality recordings in their bedroom and never even heard of Mr. Mansoor or even of the word "Djent".

Rev.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Periphery 1

Vildhjarta

Cyclamen

Enter Shikari

Glass Cloud

Plini

Meshuggah's Koloss was recorded with Superior Drummer and VST plugins, so I'd consider that to be "bedroom" as well

7. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

The guitars were recorded with the Cubase instrument rack. Everything else is real. The drums on Catch 33 used Drumkit From Hell.

8. QuantumCybin

QuantumCybin Lost In Thought

Weren't the drums on the 8 string re-release of "Nothing" programmed as well?

9. The Mirror

The Mirror SS.org Regular

I honestly can't tell you, but in my head he was the first to do the Canon Rock and started the whole "cover me in your style" thing.

10. PlumbTheDerps

PlumbTheDerps SS.org Regular

Yep. Not on Koloss though.

11. SilentCartographer

SilentCartographer Creator as Observer

Symphony -X The Odyssey was recorded and all that Jazz in M.Rs house.. maybe was his bedroom, maybe his livingroom, not sure on teh actual room, but I know that album is super solid and was way before the "misha" craze, if thats a thing