Looking for bridge pickup for Epiphone Les Paul Classic.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by TheBlackBard, Nov 17, 2021.

1. TheBlackBard

TheBlackBard SS.org Regular

So the pickup that I have now sounds way too trebley, even through my Rockerverb. I think it's the stock pickup. The neck has a Seymour Duncan Phat Cat which I adore, so that's staying. I'm looking for something round, not sharp, healthy low end, no shrill highs, and lower mids. Thinking something maybe a bit more old school, maybe the DiMarzio Super Distortion though I'd be open to SD suggestions as well. Things I don't like about my current pickup is that's virtually no low end, it seems to be all treble while being a very weak pickup at that. Felt like no matter how much gain I used, doing pinch harmonics was nigh impossible and that's with raised pickup height. Thank you in advance!

2. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

JB will match the Phat Cat perfectly. (I have that exact set in a guitar)

Manurack likes this.
  3. TheBlackBard

How's the low end on the JB?

4. Hoss632

Hoss632 SS.org Regular

I'd say the Duncan Pearly gates. More low end than the JB and they sound really really good under high gain and of course clean up nicely as well.

5. ScottThunes1960

ScottThunes1960 SS.org Regular

@TheBlackBard Other “thick” Dimarzio offerings that come to mind are Breed Neck, Air Zone, Gravity Storm, and Tone Zone, in order of output and fatness.

akinari likes this.
  6. Xaeldaren

Xaeldaren SS.org Regular

7. USMarine75

It’s voiced like a hot PAF so it’s more mids than lows. It’s very tight sounding under distortion IMO.

There’s also the SD ‘78 or Custom (or EVH Frankenstein) or if you want similar tone but hotter I’d go EVH Wolfgang.

8. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Did you try lowering the pickup first?

9. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

JB or Custom5 would be my choices for that guitar with a Phat Cat on the neck if you want big lows and sweet too end... The JB is more high-mids while the Custom5 is a beast on the low-mids, very grunty...

The DiMarzio SuperDistortion is a great option, for sure, but if you want to keep the aesthetics (I am absolutely sure the Phat Cat has a gold or chrome cover) then one of these Duncan's will match a lot better unless you want to go open-black bridge and covered neck...

USMarine75 likes this.
  10. USMarine75

Yes.

upload_2021-11-18_15-51-24.jpeg

Marked Man and Zhysick like this.
  11. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Aye... Not my cup of tea but that's a thing... And that beauty would look a lot better with both pickups covered! Lol

USMarine75 likes this.
  12. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Duncan Custom would be a good fit. I had one in a PRS Clint Lowery and it had a big, chunky low end with fast response and a nice bite to it. Great pickup for anything rock/heavy IMO. It was a little overwhelming in the low end in my case, but that guitar was also very dark acoustically. I bet it would fill out the tone of your LP no problem :yesway:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  13. TheBlackBard

It's just called the Custom right? Not the Custom custom or Custom 5?

14. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

The Custom, Custom 5, and Custom Custom are all separate models. The only difference between them is the magnet used.

Custom = ceramic
    Custom 5 = alnico 5
    Custom Custom = alnico 2

15. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Yes, and precisely because that's the only difference between the Custom and the Custom5 (ceramic Vs alnico5 magnet) is why I suggest the Custom5 instead since you asked for not harsh no shrill highs. The Custom5 because of the magnet is maybe a bit brighter but a lot sweeter. The ceramic (Custom, SH5) can be shrill specially if the guitar is on the bright side... But in any case you are a magnet swap away of the other model

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  16. SubsonicDoom99

SubsonicDoom99 SS.org Regular

One of my favorite pairings is the SD Phat Cat in the neck and the SD Custom Custom (SH-11) in the bridge of a PRS I played.
    That guitar sounded so full and warm, had well balanced mids and treble and didn't get too shrill or harsh.
    The Custom Custom has an Alnico II magnet in it that might give the impression that it won't get hot and aggressive enough but I found it gives plenty!
    I'm a big fan of the SH-5 Custom pickup too but I agree with Zhysick that there's a chance it could be a bit shrill in the upper-mids in certain guitars that tend towards being bright.
    The JB can tend to suffer from the same issue in certain guitars as well, at least from my experience.
    Something about the Custom Custom just hits the sweet spot for me and balanced out really nicely with that Phat Cat for my tastes.

AkiraSpectrum and Zhysick like this.
  17. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

Personal tastes, of course. I don't see the Custom Custom as a good contender for mahogany guitars as I find it too bland but on alder or ash is amazing, that's why I prefer the Custom5 or Custom if you want to go full throttle but I have heard good tones from full mahogany guitars with the Custom Custom on the bridge but while playing is not my thing but in any case it would be a perfect match for the Phat Cat, that's something I agree 100%

18. Atefred

Atefred SS.org Regular

I would go for a dimarzio Steve special. Plenty of low end, but still aggressive and good amount of clarity.

19. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Did OP lower the pickup yet?

20. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire neuken in de keuken

The super distortion probably isn't what you want tbh. It has a good low end, but it also has a fair amount of high end and upper mids.
    Duncan black winter might be more up your alley. Low end is Chunky and chugs with ease, has pretty broad midrange with solid low mids, isn't overly bright.
    A satchur8 bridge would also be a good fit. It's thicker and warmer sounding. Highs are pretty mellow and not overly sharp.
    Both also have pretty good output levels. They won't punch the front end of an amp like the super distortion, but they're still relatively hot pickups.