Looking for advice on an EQ pedal.

Dumple Stilzkin

I like the girls with the pumps and a bump.
Reaction score
So. My tone is pretty damn good, but there’s a bit more tone shaping I’d like control over that the amp just isn’t exact enough. There’s the ol’ MXR 10 band, but I know there’s other options (Empress). What’s your preference? I’m not really limited by budget, though cheaper is always appealing. But if the results are really that much better I don’t mind forking out the extra dollars.

Reaction score
... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
Are you interested in analogue or digital? If you don't mind going digital, you have the Boss EQ200 (stereo) and the SourceAudio EQ (mono I think) or the more recent EQ2 (stereo) which are programmable. All of these can be controlled via MIDI to a certain point (patch recall at least). The Source Audio EQ2 can also receive MIDI Control Change messages (it can work as a wah pedal as well) and is stereo.

For analogue pedals, there's the true and tested Boss GE-7 or the GEB-7 (bass version)...

These are what comes to my mind...

Spinedriver

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I agree, the Boss EQ-200 is a pretty good buy. They introduced a firmware update that allows you to save up to 128 pre-sets and there are 3 different frequency ranges you can choose from.

ATRguitar91

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For analogue pedals, there's the true and tested Boss GE-7 or the GEB-7 (bass version)...
That's what I was thinking. I've had mine for over a decade at this point, great swiss army knife of pedals. If I was buying one today, I'd probably go for the MXR 10 band since there's a bit more control over lower frequencies.

If you want something parametric, that's a whole different ballgame. Either way, every guitarist needs a good EQ.

KnightBrolaire

meet me in the pit
Reaction score
caline's 10 band pedal is essentially an mxr for like 40 usd. It's a solid pedal ime.

Hybrid_Child

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Out of the EQ pedals I've tried the MXR 10-band is my favorite. Great sounding and usable guitar EQ.

I never got along with the Boss GE-7. It seems that no matter how I set the controls it always makes the sound worse. This is my subjective opinion of course, lots of people seem to like the Boss.

I had the Empress ParaEq as well but found out I don't really like parametric style EQs.

Emperoff

Not using 5150s
Contributor
Reaction score
The Boss PQ3-B (bass parametric EQ) is my weapon of choice. One more parametric frequency than the guitar version, and cheaper since guitarists tend to believe bass pedals don't work for them.

Meeotch

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I vote MXR 10-band. I bought and sold both the Boss EQ-200 and the Empress Parametric. The MXR has more "warmth" to it and sounds less sterile IMO.

Never tried a GE-7 but have been tempted by the Analogman modded version.

Matt08642

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
+1 for the MXR 10 band, love mine in front of an amp or in the loop to really shape things

Reaction score

budda

Do not criticize as this
Contributor
Reaction score
Being Canadian, Im going with Empress (they are also good people making great stuff).

Reaction score
I'd rather buy a Helix Stomp than a 350€ EQ :shrug:

That has been my "fight", I can get a local used Helix Stomp for 450€. Full MIDI integration, lots of additional FXs (don't care for amp/cab simulations)... kind of kills all the competition... I find this "Free the tone" thing interesting for being analog with digital control, which is something unusual, but all the other digital EQs are way overpriced in my opinion, the Boss EQ200 included and the Source Audio's EQ2 more so...

r33per

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Have you seen this yet? I haven't tried one, or even seen one in person but there's been some buzz about it and I like the concept:

https://www.freethetone.com/en/products/detail18/

Programmable, MIDI capable, looks alright to me...would pair nicely with something like a Dirt Clod.
-m
I use this in the loop of my Triaxis. Works a treat for midi and set/forget. Slower for "on the fly" adjustments. Analog all the way, digital control.