Looking for a new pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by HerbalDude420, Jan 29, 2018.

1. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

I have tried the BKP aftermath set, EMG and Lace deathbucker. None of those are to my liking hopefully people on here can help me find one and ask the right questions. Hopefully, I'll have the right answer. I know for sure I want to go medium output have been looking at a SD Pegasus and the SD line any boutique handmade stuff is welcome to. All the ones have I have tried have been to hot for my liking. Looking for punch and clarity and note separation.

2. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire thy fart is murder

clearest pickup I've tried besides the lace x-bar was the elysian goliath pickups. Very clear and quite punchy, with a snarly midrange. Stays clear even on extended chords with my 8 strings. The bkp impulses are also very tight/punchy and clear sounding, though they have a different midrange than the goliaths (impulses are more of a growling midrange and less snarl). The pegasus wouldn't be my choice if you want a punchy sounding pickup since it has a round low end, but it does have pretty good clarity.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  3. AkiraSpectrum

AkiraSpectrum SS.org Regular

As mentioned above, the Pegasus is quite clear but isn't necessarily 'punchy.' I'd say a Custom 5 is on the punchy side and is fairly clear as well.

I haven't tried one yet but the Omega supposedly has great clarity and is supposedly has some punch to it.

4. HerbalDude420

The elysian pickups have definitely peaked my interest they just came out with a new one called Hellfire. I'll look into the custom 5. But the elysian pickups supposedly have a new tech that I have never heard of.

5. KnightBrolaire

I'm actually in the process of getting and testing a hellfire bridge pretty soon. I'll post about it in my pickup shootout thread. Adam described the pickup as being pretty beefy/powerful and the video he sent me demoing it is pretty much a testament to that.

6. oneblackened

oneblackened Tube Amp Dork

Punchy and clear, middling output?

BKP Black Dogs are a solid option here. Guitarmory also has some solid options though I'm not quite up to speed on their middle output line.

7. KnightBrolaire

black dog is a good choice. the alnico 8 version of the scud or the orion would be somewhat comparable to that from guitarmory. the polaris is also quite tight but it's fair bit hotter than the matador or orion and feels like their version of the titan.

8. HerbalDude420

The Claymore and the Orion have caught me eye from guitarmory. Leaning towards the Claymore but would love to know what the alnico 9 vs the alnico V would sound.

9. KnightBrolaire

I haven't tried the claymore but I really liked the orion. It's basically a mid-output pissed off sounding pickup with tons of clarity. I prefer the voicing of the matador a bit more but the orion is pretty well rounded imo. The alnico 9 is very close to a ceramic magnet so it usually bumps the lows and highs up a bit more than an alnico 5 in the same pickup. Depending on the wind of the pickup it can compress the sound more too.

10. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

what EMGs did you use OP?

11. HerbalDude420

Classic 81/85 set. Came with the Schecter C1 Platinum. Never got along with any active or any other ceramic loaded pickup to harsh sounding. Also don't want to be wasteful with the batteries.

lewis likes this.
  12. Curt

Curt Where we're going we don't need neck pickups.

If you are fine with a magnet swap, I would track down a seymour duncan custom and an alnico 8 magnet. I find it sound a little more present in the mids than the custom 5, but isn't as harsh or stiff in the treble response as the ceramic sh-5.

13. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood SS.org Regular

The Custom 8 (and even the Custom 5) have tons of clarity and note separation, as well as percussive thunk to the notes. They are on the 'high' side of medium output, though.

14. xAGx

xAGx Active Member

The clearest pickups ive ever used are far and away the Fishman Fluence Moderns. They arent super gainy sounding either unless you really wind the gain knob up. Not to mention they have a wiring configuration for a reduced gain setting with their switch selector setup. Definitely check them out if you haven't already

15. HerbalDude420

I have heard of them. They do sound good but they do still just sound like something trying to dethrone EMG. I did how ever pull the trigger on a Foxbat set from guitarmory with padauk bobbins.