Looking for a new "dark" sound amp, any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by ozzman619, Feb 7, 2017.

1. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

I've recently fallen in love with what I'm going to call darker sounding amps and I'm looking for recommendations on amps that might fit my sound. So far the two amps that have sounded the closest to the tone I'm chances are; the Orange Rockerverb 100, and the Soldano Hot Rod 100 Plus. If anyone has are suggestions on any amps you'd think I'd like I'd love to hear them! So far the only other amp I've found that I'm interested in is the Verellen SkyHammer but finding one used has proven to be a difficult task.

2. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

Orange Dual Dark 100

3. Wizard of Ozz

Wizard of Ozz Arch-Mage of Metal

Mesa Rectifier
    Bogner Uberschall
    Most any Diezel

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Definitely any Rectifier variant, especially the Roadster.

An Uberschall may do what you want, depending on the revision. I have a Twin Jet and it's a lot more mid-focused and tight than most other Uber versions I've found good demos of, so I'd look at a Rev 2 or Rev Blue.

A more budget-friendly option would be the Egnater Tweaker 40 or 88. They aren't really designed for metal, but can be pushed to do so with a boost out front. I've used a number of these heads and actually really like the voicing. It's like a regular "hard rock" sound, but a bit darker and less abrasive depending on how you set it. Sort of like Phobia-era Breaking Benjamin if memory serves me. As the name suggests, there are plenty of tonal options available, though a shared eq for the two channels has always been a turn-off for me.

5. BurningRome

BurningRome SS.org Regular

If you can afford it get the Orange thunderverb 200. I had the rockerverb 100 at the same time and the thunderverb was just meaner and more percussive.

The Rivera tre is another awesome choice. Dark and mean. The clean channel is so nice too.

6. pearl_07

pearl_07 SS.org Regular

I can attest to the Dual Rec Roadster. Just got one 6 months ago, and I love it. Definitely the darkest in the Dual Rectifier family, but that makes it much easier to dial in without all the added fizz. For the versatility of 4 channels, switching and power options, spring reverb, etc., you really can't find another amp in that price range.

7. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

Darkest amp I've ever heard is the Engl FB100. I also have a FJAMODs 5150 with mid sweep mod that sounds super dark (for a 5150) the way I dial it in.

8. Oklep

Oklep SS.org Regular

It depends what kind of music/tone you are after. I owned Dual rec Roadster and now I own Framus Dragon (I like dark sounding amps too), but Framus is in other league in terms of tone IMO. I suggest you to try dragon, its pretty much the best sounding amp I ever heard. Roadster was way looser and grainier, Dragon has more liquid tone, tight and with great note separaton

9. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

I've only a dual and triple rec and they did the job but dialing them in I just was never happy with the EQ. Budget isn't really a factor. I have been thinking of trying out a Diezel Herbert they've really caught my interest along with the Bogner Uberschall

10. protest

protest SS.org Regular

Roadster
    Engl Fireball

If budget isn't a factor, KSR. Put it in thick/super thick modes and roll down the treble a little.

11. MetalHead40

MetalHead40 SS.org Regular

I'm sure there's more than a few, but of the amps I own/have owned:

Engl Fireball 100
    Diezel Herbert

12. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

ENGL Fireball.

13. CaptainD00M

CaptainD00M Lungsman

This.

I play Doom and generally look for dark amps - the Dual Dark is a dark amp. More so than the Rockerverb.

Generally (in the broadest sense) Orange's will sound darker than Marshalls/6550/5150s etc… because of their circuit design. I'm not an expert but Nick from Dunwich Amps explained it too me once, that due to a combination of cap values in the bass section of the preamp and how the circuit is built more bass will bleed through into your final signal with an Orange hence why they generally sound darker.

Their Dark series of amps sound Darker than Dark (blacker than the blackest times infinity?) however due to the cap values in the bass section of the preamp. So yeah the Dual Dark is great for filth :D

14. MrYakob

MrYakob SS.org Regular

Count me as another vote for Orange, love my rockerverb and if that's not dark enough then the Dual Dark will do the trick!

15. JD27

JD27 ESP Cult Member

Yeah the Dual Dark can do that. It's more similar to a Thunderverb than a Rockerverb. Has a good amount of midrange in it, makes it sound thick. Also, just stupid amount of gain.

16. cGoEcYk

cGoEcYk SS.org Regular

Ibanez Thermion is a great amp for the money. Dark high-headroom clean channel that grits up in a coarse fashion (doesnt sparkle but it "crusts"). Gain- sounds great but needs to be opened up quite a bit on the Master to get there. It can also take 6550/KT88's.

17. oceanrose

oceanrose Pete

ENGL fireball 100 and powerball ii are dark sounding amps.

18. IGC

IGC SS.org Regular

Love my Randall solid state RH 200, had it for 13 years now... brutal

19. ozzman619

ozzman619 SS.org Regular

I'm surprised by the amount of love for the ENGL Fireball, I've played one once and from what I remember it was just another modern sounding amp, not anything special at all, maybe I'll have to give it a second chance.

20. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Another vote for Orange here.