Looking for a new 8 string.

Discussion in 'Extended Range Guitars' started by Benadon, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

I look for a new 8.
    Used to have a rg8 ibanez with abasi fluence i sold a while back, and just didn't have the time to replace.

My budget would be around 2000$ but i could totally spend more.
    Sadly i am limited in terms of trying guitars.
    I have tried some strandbergs that i have in some local store, they were good, but they didn't click for me and the tuners were stiff. still they did vary in terms of comfort too, although they seemed to suit me well in terms of sound.

I look for a versatile 8 string multiscale that won't look too big or massive that doesn't insist being a metal mechine (headless is nice just because of size) stainless steel are a must

I have seen the corrent run of ormsby Goliath, but i dont like the esthetics of what they will offer in this run.

2. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

Goc guitars look around what i need too. Although they dont have anything nice at stock

3. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak Last of the famous international playboys

Schecter?

4. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

If you wanted a good platform to upgrade, I highly suggest the newer GOC Materia 8s. I upgraded mine with Fishman Fluence Reyes pups and gave it a good setup, and it plays very well and sounds amazing. I modded it to fit a freeway 6-way toggle switch and push-pull tone knob.

5. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I am not a pro, so there are tons of mistakes and crappy playing, but if you wanted to hear how the Reyes Fluence set sounds in a GOC materia utilizing all the voices (minus the middle position on voices 2 and 3--voices 2 and 3 are the last 4 examples in each demo), you can check out this playlist I made. The "clean" tests were done with an overdriven clean tone, sorry:

https://soundcloud.com/berial-feilo...yes-8-string-pickup-sound-tests/s-DJ3LwZedzTF

6. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

With all the great reviews as of late of goc, i might aswell hop on the next materia batch.

7. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

people can say what they will about Kiesel guitars but I am pretty sold on them. They have the best value in your price range, objectively the best quality, and are going to offer the most options on 8 strings. I play mostly 8 string and have yet to really be impressed with other companies 8 string models. Not to say that there aren't great 8 strings out there. There are but you are going to pay quite a bit more for them than 2k.

I own a Zeus 8 string and it is one of the lightest guitars I have ever owned. I would say look at the Zeus, Osiris . They have a couple of other models but those two are probably going to offer the most options. Do a simple build with the standard alder body, standard trans finish or solid finish, and whatever neck and fretboard wood you want. It should be returnable if you aren't doing anything crazy options wise. I recommend you call them, or at the very least email them to talk options.

It is harder to find used Kiesel 8 string multi-scales but they do come up for sale from time to time. They are holding their value pretty well though.

Hollowway likes this.
  8. Vyn

Vyn Not a Sparkly Vampire

Sub $2k, Multiscale, can't go past the Ormsby GTR line. Their Goliath headless model is good (I've got a 6 and a 7) however getting them used is tricky, people like to hold onto them.

Hollowway and Un1corn like this.
  9. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

I have considered going the kiesel route, although i cant refund since i am not from the us as i understand. But that's a good option.
    I just not really set about the specific gtr run they make at the moment. Plain black with gold hardware... It could look good i guess, might give them a look again.

jarledge likes this.
  10. Marv Attaxx

Marv Attaxx SS.org Regular

I was part of the Materia 2.0 run, something I deeply regret and it caused problems over 2 years. Even if the newer ones are nicer (and I know they can put out nice guitars), I'll never be part of this shitshow again.

Hollowway likes this.
  11. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I feel for y'all that got a crap batch of guitars with the 2.0, but the 3.0 have been great, no issues. Companies can learn from their mistakes, so I think they definitely moved in the right direction.

12. Thaeon

Thaeon Cosmic Question Asker

I'd save up a bit. The $2500-$3000 range is where shit gets REALLY good and your options for a really well made instrument expand quite a bit.

13. Un1corn

Un1corn Instant Djent Machine

I would save up a bit and find some second-hand custom shop guitar or just go with Ormsby GTR if you dont want to save. If you don't like the hardware now you could always buy a second-hand with lower price and save your money to buy something else

14. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

The GOC are priced according to what they are. As are Agile. But those are $650 or so. If you've got the budget, I'd also go Kiesel. Plus, there's the sale right now. Just don't do anything that is non-standard (aka option 50, color matching, etc) or you'll potentially have to try to work out problems with Jeff, and that never ends well. But if you get a standard build, and not a bunch of upgrades, they're crazy good value for the money.

15. lurè

lurè Fake Shredder

Another vote for the kiesel.
    If you don't go crazy with the finish, you can have an 8 string multiscale headless with less then 2000$.
    Quality is usually really good.

16. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

whenever people say multiscale 8 I cant help from chirping in the ormsby hype 8. theres definitely higher quality guitars as these are sub 1500~ dollars but these really hit the nail on the head as well and I think could fit anybodys multiscale 8 string needs. biggest percs are the stainless frets and the scale itself being 25.5-28.2 which I would say is both ideal for high e to low f# bringing exactly 16.5lbs of pressure with a .74 (which is why it ended on an odd scale length)

17. Benadon

Benadon SS.org Regular

just the trouble is finding and waiting for one.
    i feel like a headless guitar will suit me better on the 8 string realm. but their next headless guitars batch will hit only next year, that is a awhile.