Looking for a "hidden gem" pickup configuration.

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by Legion, Mar 30, 2018.

1. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

So I just got myself a new RG652FX. It came stock with the Tone Zone/Air Norton. Nothing wrong with them, fantastic pickups. Except I have had another Ibanez with those pickups for ~4 years. So I'm looking for something new, a little different. What I mean by "hidden gem" is...well, for starters, not a BKP :lol: I have a third guitar with a PAF Pro bridge/Humbucker from Hell neck, and a fourth with Steve's Special/PAF Pro, and that's a good example. Pickups/pickup combinations that aren't necessarily talked about all that much but still are fantastic sleeper pickups.

I'd like something that isn't silly priced (I'm not paying $300 for a pair of humbuckers). Looking at ~$150 ish, happy to look at used pickups, and has the following characteristics:

Bridge: Warm tone for lead work, EXCELLENT note separation for distorted chords (I don't use silly high gain sounds, more like Exivious/Cynic-levels of gain)

Neck: The closer the neck pickup is to a single coil like tone, the better. I love bright, attack-y neck pickup tone.

Amp: usually VST plugins or a Yamaha THR5 with a Marshall style amp setting with moderate gain, I'm more than happy just running a single channel setup and cleaning up with the Volume knob when I need to.

Fire away!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  2. BigViolin

BigViolin breakfast foods

Dominion bridge/Gravity Storm neck.

3. Andrew Lloyd Webber

Andrew Lloyd Webber Super Duper Moduraturr

For full-sized Dimarzio neck humbuckers that kind of sound like strat single coils, in order of most authentic/lowest output to least authentic/highest output:

Bluesbucker > PAF Joe > Gravity Storm

I have all three in different guitars. Alternatively, just put any number of other humbuckers in parallel. Shame your guitar has direct-mount pickups; because the Satch Track is a single-sized version of the PAF Joe that sounds even more stratty.

Descent likes this.
  4. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

Gravity Strorm Bridge / Bluesbucker Neck

Legion likes this.
  5. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

I'm REALLY intrigued by the Bluesbucker...right up my alley!
    So I take it the Gravity Storm bridge is a very clear pickup on extended chords?

Last edited: Mar 30, 2018
  6. Andrew Lloyd Webber

I’m biased because the Bluesbucker is my current favorite neck pickup (series sounds like a jazzy Gibson, split is an overwound strat in the SRV vein - And how you set the height makes a huge difference). The Suhr SSV is also a very sweet-sounding humbucker that reminds me of a tele neck pickup with doublestops and single note bends.

I like the Gravity Storm bridge, but it has a “love it or hate it” voicing that can sound like the pickup has a stuffy nose. I’m thinking something ceramic but with a similar voicing (such as an Evo 2) might do the Cynic/Exivious thing better - But someone else may have a better grip on the matter.

7. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Have you tried the Bluesbucker in parallel?

Fair enough, waiting for further input by other on this, thank you!

8. Andrew Lloyd Webber

It’s not really an option: The Bluesbucker is a weird takeoff on a humcancelling single coil (the screw coil is wound to 7k with two ceramic spacer magnets, and the slug coil is a dummy wound to 3k with a single spacer magnet of opposing polarity). So series/split acts more like a voicing switch; with a negligible drop in output. Those are your only “usable” options - The nature of the beast is that putting the coils in parallel will make the pickup sound broken and unlistenable.

Legion likes this.
  9. Cynicanal

Cynicanal SS.org Regular

That bridge sounds like a Parallel Axis Distortion. Or, alternatively, a Carvin M22SD.

Can't help with Neck pup, I've never used a neck pup for anything in my life other than to briefly switch any new guitar to that position, say "yep, the neck pup works", and then set the switch back to Bridge forever.

10. HerbalDude420

HerbalDude420 SS.org Regular

You can take a look at guitarmory's offerings they offer high medium and low output humbuckers. $237 with shipping and optional choice wood bobbins.

11. Lemonbaby

Lemonbaby SS.org Regular

Was that meant to be the other way around? Just from the position itself, the bridge will just be "bright and attack-y" while the neck will by default always be better for a fat, warm lead sound...

12. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

Sd phat cat in the neck and a 59 in the bridge.

13. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular

Those were 2 that I was going to suggest, Blues Saraceno Trembucker is also really interesting in a slightly less overdriven way. I personally love the PAF Joe and Distortion Trembucker as I have these in a guitar, the PAF Joe neck gives you great smooth vocal-like lead tone and the Distortion Trembucker is clean while has a bit of bite that takes all kinds of pedals well. It is not overstated. The Saraceno TRembucker is a slightly milder version of the Distortion Trembucker that brings out a bit more of your fretwork.

14. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

Trembucker? You mean the Parallel Axis?

15. zarg

zarg SS.org Regular

the DiMarzio Titan really has that. its super clear.

BigViolin likes this.
  16. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

I wouldn't call the Titan warm though.
    +1 for something PAF-like in the bridge.

17. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I have this pair in my TL60 and it's never going anywhere, ever. I think it'd be a perfect setup in this case :yesway:

BigViolin likes this.
  18. Legion

Legion is a bloody army.

I am considering Dominion/Bluesbucker at this point.
    Thinking of creative ways to use a 5 way switch to wire it up though.

19. Descent

Descent SS.org Regular