Looking at strats - project or go all in?

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I haven’t owned a strat in 15 years, regret selling it, and want to get another one.

My main guitar is a Schecter c1 platinum with emg 81/85 and I want to get some single coil sounds and doesn’t need to be too hot of a pickup.

I’m more or less torn between the Squier CV, Fender Player, the Am Performer, or the Am pro II. My thoughts below, looking for advice/opinions.

I feel like the Squier CV will end up being a bit of a project with replacing pickups, electronics, hardware. So probably at the cost of a player by the time I’m done but at least it would be set the way I wanted.

Player seems to tick all the boxes, as soon as I start any sort of upgrades/mods though I quickly enter US models.

Performer probably has it all, except it’s vintage style tuners and a vintage term which aren’t my favorite…but at the end of the day I don’t use the trem much.

Am pro II is the one I don’t think I’d do anything to it. Spec wise its already my end game.

I’ve played them all before but it’s been a few months. I’ll go play then again.

My gut tells me to buy once, cry once and just get the Am pro II, but I don’t know if I’m missing something, or if there are other considerations to make?

cardinal

F# Dive Bomber
Reaction score
I would decide what radius and fret size you want most and go from there. The Player Plus has a 12" radius. I think the rest are 9.5". I think the Performer has true jumbo frets, the rest are tall/narrow?

CanserDYI

Yeah, No, Definitely.
Reaction score
For what its worth, my most recent Classic Vibe (tele) is probably just as much guitar if not more than all my MIM's (strats, so not apples to apples) from the late 2000's.

Every component on the squier is perfectly fine, except the damn neck pup, which I'm not a fan of any tele neck pup I've played so ymmv.

All I'm saying is don't sleep on Squier CV line, super great value there.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I would decide what radius and fret size you want most and go from there. The Player Plus has a 12" radius. I think the rest are 9.5". I think the Performer has true jumbo frets, the rest are tall/narrow?
I’m looking for a rounder radius, and I don’t like the noiseless pickups so the player plus is out.

From the specs it looks like only the squier has tall narrow but they didn’t seem that tall when I played it.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Just buy used. There's a million Strats out there from various brands. If you want Fender, buy Fender. If you are more adventurous, try e.g G&L.
Used prices are still a little stupid, but I’m checking those as well.

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
For a project strat, try an EART

Better hardware than a CV, imho just needs pickups

RevDrucifer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Those are really close in quality, so I’d definitely be looking more at individual specs and just grab whatever hits the most buttons.

Or go the Partscaster route and get EXACTLY what you want for maybe a couple hundred bucks more. My last two guitars are Partscasters, one I put together myself and the other someone else did, I haven’t touched any of my other guitars since I got them and now I have 5,000 ideas for more partscasters.

I spent under a grand on both.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score
Build your own from parts. Way more satisfying and you get what you want.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
The only really bad thing about doing a partscaster is that resale is rough, and you may run into weird minor fitment problems with parts, but yeah you pretty much can get spec'd to whatever you want.

Last edited:

Adieu

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only really bad thing about doing a partscaster is that resale is rough, and you may run into weird minor fitment problems with parts, but yeah you pretty much can get spec'd to whatever you want.

Depends.

I lost track of what's up now, but until recently one could get $400-ish if it had all good stuff.

More if Fender USA neck.

possumkiller

Square Dance Caller
Reaction score

David Gilmore unloaded a home made relic partscaster a couple years ago for like two million or some shit.

Dekay82

I WANT the fret nibs
Reaction score
If you’re dead set on a Fender and want to dip your toe in, just get a used Mexistrat. I got mine new in ‘97 and it still feels great. From what I understand, Mexistrats 2008 and onwards had a huge jump in build quality.

Or you can go hardmode and go down the partscaster route and make exactly what you want. I’m a huge DIY proponent.

Choop

n______n
Reaction score
David Gilmore unloaded a home made relic partscaster a couple years ago for like two million or some shit.

Unfortunately most people are not David Gilmour lol (well most all but one!)

Depends.

I lost track of what's up now, but until recently one could get $400-ish if it had all good stuff.

More if Fender USA neck.

I mean that isn't bad -- I guess it's all relative. Just seems like I see partscasters sit for sale for a good while, like poeple are generally more leary of buying one versus buying a branded instrument.

SilentStrummer

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I had an HSS that I contemplated going full “ship of theseus” route but ultimately decided I didn’t want to end up with something worth more parted out than whole.