Looking at ABY Pedals

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by TeeWX, Apr 7, 2016.

1. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

So I've got two tube amp rigs which will both have 4x12's underneath them. Naturally, I thought it'd be a ton of fun to run them both at once for when it's just me playing by myself. If anything, I figure I'll get more experience dialing in two tones that work together. I also wouldn't mind having one set up for cleans as they're both single channel amps.

So the two main options I've been looking at are:

Loop-Master ABY
    ABY Box Pedals - Loop-Master Pedals - - ABY Pedal (LED Version)

Radial Bones ABY
    Radial Bones Twin City A-B-Y Amp Switcher | Sweetwater.com

Now, my biggest concern is loss of signal. I like to be lazy if possible so when run through the pedal on just a single rig I want it to sound as if the pedal isn't there. Same goes for when both are engaged. I don't want any loss in volume or tone suck. I have some Loop-Master pedals here and while they are great they could use a rubber shoe and some extra weight, but it's not a big deal considering they are incredibly well priced for what you get. The Radial Bones looks like it has a good build but I've got no experience with them.

Does anyone have any input for these?

2. pkgitar

pkgitar SS.org Regular

I've been using the Radial TC extensively for about a year now and I can't recommend it enough. It's really, really great. The ground lift and phase switch along with the active buffer makes it very versatile in terms of eliminating common issues when running two amps. And it's built like a tank.

As a side note, to you or anyone else, if you have a MIDI rig and want to use two amps. The Decibel Eleven Split Personality does the same that the Radial does, but it also has MIDI capability so you can program your patches to also switch amps/use both.

3. TeeWX

TeeWX All The Br00tz

Well that was extremely helpful! I didn't even realize that the Loop-Master was without phase switching until you mentioned that the Radial TC had it.

I see the Decibel Eleven is roughly the same price as the Radial TC.

4. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

5. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

Buy the Radial you have linked. ABY box shopping is really hard because music stores might carry one. You never really get to try them out. The Radial Twin-City simply works. It's a great pedal!

6. oracles

oracles Australian in Canada

7. Unburdened

Unburdened SS.org Regular

I love my Radial Switchbone. Absolutely no noise, and lots of options for tone sculpting and line adjustments. The Radial Bones ABY won't let you down.

8. MajorTom

MajorTom Supreme Being

[​IMG]

Seriously the Radial Bones Twin City ABY pedal is so much better than it's passive counterparts, I've tried them both and found that the passive ones drop in volume and alter your sound, the Radial Bones Twin City ABY is really really worth the difference in price between it and it's passive counterparts from the same brand.

9. broj15

broj15 SS.org Regular

I scored a used Morley ABY pedal for $25 and it's super sturdy and has little to no noticeable affect on tone. Looks like you can get them brand new for ~$50. I like that it lets you run either amp separately or both at once.

10. crankyrayhanky

crankyrayhanky SS.org Regular

I have the Morley ABY and compared to when I has a Creation Audio Labs MW1, it is garbage, sucking out 50% of the liveliness. Different price levels, so Morley is good if you want to get a taste, but know that it is splitting your signal in half.
    (1) HumX is a must have IME or suffer ground buzz.