Long & McQuade frustration stories?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by WintermintP, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coupe89

coupe89 SS.org Regular

I remember the late 90s the price of gear where I am from was around the price they charge now.

2. erdiablo666

erdiablo666 I'm from Canada...and they think I'm slow...eh

I've always had good experiences with them. Their return policy is phenomenal by the way. 30 days, no questions asked (as long as it wasn't a special order).

Yes, I've waited weeks for strings. It happens. This is why I buy multiple packs at a time. I get GHS 8 string sets for reference. When I buy NYXL singles they're a lot quicker to arrive.

90% of the time when I special order strings or picks they come in less than a week. The staff are always friendly and knowledgeable. If they don't know something, they'll tell you and then go look it up. Really can't say enough good things.

XPT707FX and budda like this.
  3. TedEH

TedEH Cromulent

The only complaint I ever really have about L&M is that some of the salespeople at the one closest to me like to hover around you once they realize you're someone who spends money. The last time I bought an amp head in store, the sales guy suddenly became my best friend every time I've entered the store since - in the sense that he sticks to me like flies on sh*t in hopes that I'll go through him to get my next purchase, given my "expensive tastes".

The Steves in Ottawa on the other hand..... basically only employs opinionated older guys and naive kids. If you want to spend a bajillion dollars on a strat, Steves can help you out, but they're clueless when it comes to anything else. Not only that, but they're kinda stuck up about it. If you walk in with long hair and a black shirt, you get the eye rolls and that look that says "the pointy bullsh*t guitars you want are in the back, don't talk to me until you learn to play real music".

I've heard some wacky/dumb lines in that store:
    "If we don't carry it, trust me, you don't need it."
    "Nobody would be stupid enough to record anything with EMGs."
    I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of them right now.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    erdiablo666 likes this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Steve's is also known for being a bit of a front, and I won't recommend anyone go to their stores :lol:.

L&M staff aren't on commission, so there's nothing to be gained for that employee who follows you around. Have you tried... asking him to stop?

DiezelMonster likes this.
  5. erdiablo666

Only complaint I have about Steve's is that they won't order single strings for me. Otherwise they're great. Only shop in town where you can get Schecters too.

6. budda

L&M carries schecter, and they price match. I feel like spaceman and maybe another would have some too?

7. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

Let me dry your eyes, little bear.

[​IMG]
    Need a hug as well?

8. vortex_infinium

vortex_infinium SS.org Regular

Positive story from when I was in college, me and my friends would go to L&M down the road maybe once every other week and play their guitars and amps in a respectful manner. They have some good people, one guy who started to get to know us and knew we weren't buying anything (I was already buying my strings and accessories online by that point) was more than happy to pull from a stand behind the counter their fancy $4000 Gibson and their not-so-expensive but hard to find for the time Ibanez 8 string for us to noodle around on.

That being said they're the Wal Mart of guitars. That's my expectation. I've had employees say they're doing something for me only to disappear. I've had employees charge my credit card, gesture to hand it back to me and as I reach for it throw it down on the counter. Don't expect anything they don't carry normally to get ordered anytime soon and don't expect returns on things they consider special orders that are a dime dozen online but they aren't willing to stock otherwise.

I've had better experiences with the L&M staff than Steves though. :ugh:

9. erdiablo666

Not the one in Ottawa unfortunately...As far as Spaceman goes, they're mostly used gear. You may find a Schecter but it won't be new.

10. budda

Given they are a national chain, i dont see how the ottawa location doesnt carry them.

erdiablo666 likes this.
  11. erdiablo666

Something to do with Steve's having exclusive rights...Someone explained it to me once but I forget the details. I know it's weird but trust me, they don't carry Schecters.

12. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

If everything else were to make sense, here's the one detail that doesn't. WHY is it that the order reaches the supplier for a little while and then it's on backorder again when it already got there? Are they trying to shift what used to be my order to someone else when I ordered them first?!

@budda Also, London has two L&M stores and I go there often enough to know they don't carry Schecters here either.

WintermintP

13. budda

Carry and have in stock are two different things. They carry schecter. They stock mostly fender, gibson and epiphone with the splash of prs se's/s2's, ibanez and whatever else has come through. Guaranteed you can grab your next C1 at l&m though ;).

14. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

One good thing about Steve's....before I guess, they used to carry Reverend guitars. Sadly I only found out after they stopped carrying them and only had two models left that I'm not feeling. The (extremely passive and casual) search for a Sensei continues...

15. budda

Cask music in toronto carries reverend.

Splenetic likes this.
  16. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Sorry, dude. I play 7-string guitars almost exclusively now. 6-string guitars just aren't the same anymore.

WintermintP

erdiablo666 likes this.
  17. buriedoutback

buriedoutback SS.org Regular

I've experienced having to wait weeks and weeks and weeks for a pack of strings. Ended up that a full order was needed before it was shipped. This wasn't L&M.

My local L&M is small, and they never have anything in stock that I want, but they did take back a defective product that I ordered off their website without any hassle, so meh.

I start with 1. Kijiji 2. Axe Music 3. Amazon 4. other sites. (order changes based on new/used/etc).

Like 99% of all the shopping I do, it's done online. Yes, there are limitations to that, but I do a metric shit-ton of research before purchasing, so I have a good idea what I'm ordering.

Sometimes, like with guns, I'll go into a local store and fondle the product (if they have it), then buy it cheaper online.

18. erdiablo666

Imma go ask them just for fun then. Here's the thing though: When you're a dealer, you MUST have product on display. I know guys that used to work at Steve's. For example, they're required to have certain models on hand. Ie whatever they happen to be pushing at the time. Doesn't matter if it sells or not. Ibanez requires the same thing. That's business.

Edit: Their website confirms they have Schecter. I'm still gonna ask what the deal is though.

19. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

@budda Excellent, thanks! Never checked Cask out before, but good to know.

budda likes this.
  20. budda

Im gonna say it again - you know l&m price matches non sale prices, right? I had them match amazon when I bought my flashback x4.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.