Long & McQuade frustration stories?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by WintermintP, Aug 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WintermintP

WintermintP Lead/Rhythm Guitar, One Minute Winter

Hi.

I'll try and tread carefully here as much as I can but...

(sigh)

Okay. I've seen several rants of Long & McQuade and how frustrating and dodgy they are/were but those were back in the 2015 days so I've been wondering if anything changed in the other cities, but here where I live, has actually worsened over the years.

Let's start off with the first signs of trouble.

I bought like, at least 5 or 6 instruments from them now? And I've bought tons of other stuff from them such as picks, cables, gig bags... you name it, I bought it.

The first problem is that whenever I bought something from them, to start things off, they never provided any perks for being one of the main buyers. Even Guitar Centre in the U.S. at least provides deals, even for first-time customers. The Canadian dollar still sucks and it's bound to worsen even more than 2015 so that's expected. Okay fine.

The second problem is, I'm not one of those customers who swear by the "you just find what you want, you buy it, and leave" mentality. There are so many questions I have about one product alone and I tend to have trouble making a clear decision half the time. And the things that the clerks say... are often misleading. The thing here is, I'm not even a beginner at guitar by any means. I think this is my 11th year playing guitar/bass now?

Third problem. Now we're getting to the bigger problems. Whenever I get a guitar or bass set up, I have really specific needs. So I'll be asking for really obscure tunings like Drop G. One guitar in particular that cost me over $1K (I didn't ask for Drop G with this)... I bought new strings for it for Free Setup Day but the top string just fell off before I could even play. Also, these guys don't know what a drop tuning is. Whenever I ask for a Drop tuning such as, say, Drop A 6-string, for example, which should be A E A D F# B, I get A D G C E A. Aftermath? No compensation whatsoever. Even on the other guitar I had to specifically name down all of the open notes just to get the strings set up correctly, and I was lucky those gauges were really heavy.

Now for what happened recently. I ordered DR DDT bass strings from them last month. When I first called for an update, they said it's on backorder but I'll be able to get it 1 August. 1 August arrives. They're saying they just reached the supplier and said it will take an additional two or three weeks or whatever. I called again just yesterday. The guy said he'll contact the supplier. I get a message today. Now they're telling me they're on backorder again and it'll take an additional two weeks. I end up having to call them and snap back at them and reminding them that it's already been at least six or seven weeks, but their excuse is that they're only going by what the supplier is telling them. Based on my past experiences, I have no clue if I can believe them or not.

So yea, has Long & McQuade gone better or worse in other places in Canada? I'd love to hear how things are like now.

Thanks,
    WintermintP

ImNotAhab likes this.
  2. Bdtunn

Bdtunn SS.org Regular

At least they stopped wearing those awful pastel shirts and ties. I never wanted to buy a guitAr from a guy in a tie Hahahaha

3. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Rule #1: Learn to set up your instruments.

Paying someone to set up your guitar to your needs is like paying someone to adjust your car seat to your liking.

Gmork, AdenM, Flappydoodle and 10 others like this.
  4. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

So your "big gripes" are the fact that *most* guitarists and techs don't do downtuning below C, and that you ordered niche strings that aren't a regular stock item?

Seriously?

L&M is fine. The staff are fine. They don't know everything, and if you're asking about things they don't know, then they'll tell you that and you gotta look it up on your own.

As for perks, L&M has sales. L&M has deals. They don't have the deals like GC because we aren't the USA. Period. That's all it is. We don't have the population, and the product doesn't come in way cheaper (shipping in US vs. shipping in Canada). Don't act entitled and just maybe you'd be able to take something home without renting etc.

It doesn't sound to me like the store is the problem here.

5. eightsixboy

eightsixboy あなたのお母さんを犯さ

Honestly I wouldn't let anyone touch any guitar I just bought unless it was myself or a proper tech. You asking for issues getting a shop to do work for you UNLESS you know they have a proper tech.

With the backorder thing that might not even be their fault, sometimes ETA's for things gets shifted from one day to the next etc. Its no different to when ordering an Ibanez, store tells you supplier said shipment due X date, rocks up a month later, then other hurdles etc etc you end up chasing the store waiting for what you ordered. In my experience if you order something be prepared to have delays and the unexpected.

6. Captain Butterscotch

Captain Butterscotch PRS Guitars

I charge people $15 to change strings. They stand and watch me do it. While I do it they talk about how it's just insane to imagine themselves doing the same thing. Don't be those people, OP.

erdiablo666 and I play music like this.
  7. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Never had any issues with the L&Ms in the Vancouver area. I don't typically ask the staff questions as I already know everything about the gear I'm interested in, or I can read a spec sheet that's sitting with the price tag. They threw in cables and picks or whatever for me way back when I made 3 digit purchases from them in the mid-late 00's (last time I ever bought anything there really).

Also, are you saying after 11 years of playing guitar/bass you can't set up your own instruments? This is especially important when you're not using standard tunings. I think this should be beyond obvious.

And finally, for products going into Canada it's always slow as shit regardless of what you're buying or ordering. That's just the nature of the game in Canada. Things take 6-8 weeks to arrive from anywhere. You should know this by now.

L&M is also far more pleasurable to deal with than basically every guitar shop in Tokyo. L&M is great.

XPT707FX likes this.
  8. Splenetic

Splenetic SS.org Regular

Have no issues with them either. The other day I went with my co-worker to help him pick out his first guitar, an acoustic.

We went to Steve's first which is a block away from our workplace.... The acoustic section of the store felt downright oppressive hahah....I didn't pay it much attention but at one point my buddy says "Holy shit it's so fucking quiet in here, no one is talking, it feels like they're listening to us and judging silently i wanna get the fuck outta here" hahah, it made him uncomfortable to a point he didn't even wanna try the guitars..... and the funny thing is, he was kinda right. The FOUR sales dudes were dead silent lined up along the counter just not saying anything, it was bizarre.

We then went to L&M on Bloor near Ossington, and the atmosphere was 10 times better. The sales dudes were doing their own thing and talking amongst each other, didn't pay attention to us until we asked for one of them to help us out. After that, the older gentleman, Matthew, helped my buddy out in the most pro manner a salesman can. He didn't shill, gave solid advice, no complaints.

Plus it was thanks to their once per year clearout sale that I started playing seven string axes in the first place. :hbang:

9. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

never been there, but this thread gives me the idea they're a top notch establishment

10. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

I've been to an L&M once when visiting some family. Not sure which one, somewhere in Southern-ish Ontario.

Reminded me a lot of Sam Ash over here.

11. WintermintP

Just a little bit of context before any more of you get at me for "not learning how to set up my instruments" because I forgot to bring that up and I knew that was going to be an issue.

I did learn how to set up my own instruments. I didn't know how to do it back then. Besides, when that incident happened was like, a long while ago, so... yea...

That means you, @Sogradde... =.=

@Avedas Really now? This is the first time I had to wait more than six weeks to get a pack of strings.

Again, though, just so everyone's clear, I didn't know how to set up instruments back then. I know how to do it now so that's not really an issue anymore.

The main point here, was that there have been more than a small number of incidents that's been causing me to really grit my teeth against L&M.

WintermintP

12. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

How can you possibly expect a guitar store employee to know everything about every guitar.
    They aren’t some nerd living at home spending all day on the internet. They actually have to go to work and shit.

AdenM and Avedas like this.
  13. WintermintP

Well I don't expect them to know everything per se. I just expect them to be more honest and less misleading. If they don't really know I'll look for other sources to find my information.

I'm not trying to say I'm entitled. It's just that there have been a bunch of instances where they were really frustrating to deal with.

First of all, even though I almost always downtune below C, I can still find the gauges I need usually. Even if they didn't have the gauges I needed, it usually didn't take long for them to fetch me the right gauges. This is the first time it's taking this long, as I said earlier.

Second, that's not the "big gripe" I'm talking about. The real problem is that there have been more than a handful of frustrating experiences with those guys. Heck, there have even been numerous occasions where they tried to talk their way out of pricematching and so on and so forth. Also, there were other occasions when I tried to buy a specific item they tried to sell me a lesser brand instead (saying it's a better brand when it's not) just because they don't carry the brand I want (that's what made me lose faith regarding the DR DDTs in the first place).

WintermintP

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  14. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah man Canada border guards are dicks and will hold basically anything in customs for weeks, or your package will sit on a truck and go across the continent a couple times before getting to your city.

15. WintermintP

Well in this case I know exactly what's going on. The supplier won't ship anything until the crate's completely filled so that the shipping wouldn't be as expensive. But still, this is the first time it's taking this long...

Okay, fine, I was a little too worked up over the matter, but I just had to rant because this has been really frustrating (as this never happened before; and maybe in case this happens again I'll plan better) and as I said earlier, there already have been other instances that caused me to lose faith in those guys.

(sigh) Sorry for the rant. I just had too many frustrating experiences with those guys so I just had to vent it out.

Just so we're on the same page, it's not that I was trying to imply that I'm entitled or anything. It's just that there have been so many cases where I either clearly knew what I wanted but ended up having to get something else instead, or I needed help figuring stuff out but the staff were saying some misleading things. And again, it's not that I expect them to know everything, but I just at least didn't want to be misled.

WintermintP

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
  16. Avedas

Avedas SS.org Regular

Yeah, exactly. They only have to do stuff like that because shipping to Canada is an expensive pain in the ass. Sad harsh realities of living up north.

17. WintermintP

Welp... okay, looks like I learned my lesson today then... :'<

WintermintP

18. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

Ok so it's the first time there's been a delay with strings... that's a pretty good track record for 11 years no?

Did they "try and talk their way out of price matching" or did you bring in a sale price and they said they couldn't match it? That's every store by the way, from groceries to guitars.

What exactly was the item you wanted, and the "lesser brand"?. I'm curious to know. It makes total sense that as an employee of a retail company, they tried to sell you a similar product that probably fits your needs because... they are there to sell stuff. As a company, it's better to sell a similar product than lose the sale ;). Why didn't you check online to see if they have the brand you want, before spending your time going to the store? Why not cover due diligence on your end when the information is available without leaving your house?

It still sounds like you didn't do your research in situations where you should have.

If it's that frustrating then go to the PA shop or Bellones.

DiezelMonster likes this.
  19. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Wasn't trying to shit on you mate. I'm just saying, do your own research and make your own setups. Don't expect the people at guitar stores to know their stuff. I know it's disheartening but from my experience, most of them are dadrockers or teens who play acoustics to pick up chicks. There is a massive difference between "being a guitar player" and "being knowledgeable about guitars".

20. 70Seven

70Seven Ibanez Foerever!!!

If you're one of those customers that give them a hard time, ask for these weird tuning set ups (weird from their point of view), asks a ton of questions and take time making decisions, don't expect to get deals even if you buy regularly.

All my years shopping at long McQuade the guys that worked there were "classic rock" guys, I didn't expect them to know everything about high gain amps or the latest EMG pickups..

The guys at one store started to know me, not by name but I would get a "hey man" when I walked in. They started knowing my string gauges and the kind of music I like. I'd walk in, do a quick walk around, chat a little if one of the guys approached me but was never a "difficult" customer. When I bought my latest guitar with them, I asked for a deal, like no taxes.. guy was hesitant since it wasn't a super expensive guitar(just over 1K). Talked with the manager, and said best he could do was knock off 50$, so basically from 1149$ to a flat 1100$ plus taxes. I said its better than nothing..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.