broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Finally picked up my new Schecter C-7 Hellraiser from guitar center. It's been on layaway and i finally got it paid off. Here are some pics whitch will be followed by a quick review. I'll apologize in advance for the pics being taken inside. When you live in the midwest it gets dark at around 6:00 pm :noplease:

IMG_1612.jpg

IMG_1614.jpg

IMG_1615.jpg

IMG_1617.jpg

IMG_1619.jpg

IMG_1622.jpg

IMG_1624.jpg

View of the neck profile
IMG_1625.jpg

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1628.jpg

you gotta love that binding
IMG_1629.jpg

IMG_1634.jpg

IMG_1636.jpg

IMG_1637.jpg

I think we can get a +1 for the Carnifex shirt
IMG_1627.jpg

So lets get the brief review started.
Finish: Looks great. No flaws. The high gloss doesn't show smudges or fingerprints nearly as bad as i thought it might.
Playability: Once i got my preferred gauge of strings on (.010 - .064) it plays great. The neck is a bit wider/ thicker than my RG7620 but it's nothing i can't get used to. The fret work is really nice. No sharp edges, etc. I do wish the frets were just a bit taller but i'll get over it. Fret access is great. i have no problem playing in the 21st-24 fret.
How does she sound: As you may or may not know this guitar comes with 2 EMG 707's. The neck pick up can produce a really good clean tone with just a touch of reverb or delay and can give you a sweet tone for solos with a bit of overdrive and still maintain a good bit of note definition and clarity. The bridge pickup is just okay. It has decent bass response but the low B could Stand to be a bit less muddy. I will probably end up switching to a 81-7 for the bridge as it is what bands such as Chelsea Grin and Whitechapel have been using and i really dig their tone.
All in all i feel like it was money well spent. Hopefully i still feel the same way after the honeymoon is over.

ibanez4lifesz

@TheGuitarRack
Reaction score
Congrats! Schecters are great guitars if you can get along with the slightly larger neck profile. :hbang:

Stealth7

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Happy NGD! :hbang:

I've always preferred the older Hellraisers over the newer uber binding ones.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
The only feature i wish this had that the new hell raisers have is the new ones have the707 tw with coil tap. For some reason i thought a single coil sound in the neck position could be nice for cleans but oh well lol. The main thing I'm loving about the guitar right now is the extended scale. The added string tension is great (the more tension the better for me at least) I kind of thought the binding on the new one was going to be a bit distracting as well.

Originally posted by Stealthtastic
Nice, looks almost souless in a way.:metal:

Soulless because i'm a ginger lol?

edit: also does anyone have any experience with an 81-7 in a mahogany guitar? sorry for not posting this question in the pickups section.

Desi

You can't handle me!
Reaction score
DAAAAAAAAAMN, dude~

That's an old C-7 Hellraiser model you got there, before Schecter changed it up a bit and installed the coil split and binding on the body and headstock. :eek:

I owned that exact same model before I sold it to help fund for a Fender J5 telecaster. To this day I still kick myself for selling it and not finding another option that would've allowed me to keep the guitar. It was my first seven string and my fondest guitar playing memories were played on THAT guitar. Heck, I nailed My Acid Words in its entirety on that guitar, as it was the first seven string song I promised myself to learn. :shred:

I bought that guitar because of Jeff Loomis and John Petrucci. I could not afford a JP7 at the time, and the Loomis sig had just been released, but my local Guitar Center didn't stock them. :idea:

I am so sorry to have hijacked your thread with my little trip to memory lane, but seeing the photos of the older Hellraiser model made me a little misty eyed..it was like seeing an old friend. That guitar meant a lot to me and I foolishly sold it. :wallbash:

In a few hours, my JPX7 will be arriving at my door. The seven stringed JP model has been my dream guitar for years and it'll finally be mine. I still think of my C-7 Hellraiser with great fondness, and I'll also be finally climbing aboard the seven string boat once more. :cool:

Treat your guitar well, Broj15. May it provide you with many years of joy, stories and songs.

Rock on! :wavey:

Ancestor

Contributor
Reaction score
i like the 707s. it used to be a big deal to get those put into a guitar. they were really expensive and had to be custom routed. now you get them factory installed into mahogany. which is unbelieveably cool.

it's a great guitar. i would a/b the 707 against an 81 in the same kind of guitar before you buy one.

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/105054-emg-81-7-vs-707-a.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/pickups-electronics-general-tech/71535-emg-707-vs-emg-81-7-a.html

http://www.sevenstring.org/forum/sevenstring-guitars/34262-emg-707-vs-81-7-a.html

i've never heard an 81-7 before but i have an 81 in my esp, which is mahogany. it's a really bright p/u. kind of harsh sounding like a super distortion or something. i actually like that because i'm all about the gain and fuzz and stuff.

but the 707 i had in my a7 was really perfect. tbh i did prefer the passive that came with my a7 until the p/u selector went bad. i got a good controlled feedback that i didn't have with a new p/u selector or the 707. but otherwise the 707 was really good.

and congratulations! time to rock. :D

Phlegethon

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
seeing as the emg 81 seems to do well in mahogany bodied six strings there's no reason for the 81-7 to underperform under the same conditions that its six string version does well in. at least they should have the quick connect system so changing pickups will be about as hard as plugging in a lamp to a wall socket so changes are quite reversible if you don't like it

AwakenNoMore

Wrong Handed
Reaction score
Looks great, if your looking for clarity, I just dropped the Duncan blackouts in my 7 and I almost crapped myself from how much better they are, true story.

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
@ Desi: No need to apologize at all lol. On the 3 hour drive to guitar center to pick it up feelings of buyers remorse started to creep up on me as i had bought the guitar without even playing one (damn! am i stupid lol) but all those thoughts left my head once i plugged it into a used 5150 that they had hooked up to some shitty cab. Once i got it eq'd and had just the right amount of gain i was in love. The best part was all the blues wankers and country pickers testing out gibsons and tele's through fender reverbs (this was at the guitar center in nashville) look at me like i had 3 heads as i started to play some brutal death metal riffage lol. I'm looking forward to turning more heads and writing some new material on this beast.

Lasik124

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I love my C7, Its my go to guitar for shred, especially with the 707's congrats!

Michael T

Sea Turtles mate
Contributor
Reaction score
Great guitar. Personally I'm not a Schecter guy but those "old/original" C7 Hellraisers are AWESOME.
It was one of my First 7 stringers, the neck on those is NOTHING like the ball bat neck Schecter has now.
Before you change pups 18v mod that thing & see what you think.
Congrats

PS, that guitar is fo sho a keeper !!

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
I've heard a lot about people doing this "18v Mod" but i must say i have no idea what it does. I've never really researched it as i've always been an avid user of passive pickups. I'll have to do some more research.

x666charlie666x

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
very nice guitar

I've heard a lot about people doing this "18v Mod" but i must say i have no idea what it does. I've never really researched it as i've always been an avid user of passive pickups. I'll have to do some more research.

instead of having one 9v battery you have two, this means that more power is supplied the pickups, this leads to the pickup sounding different, whether you prefer it 9v or 18v is up to you, im sure there are posts around which go into further detail and include sound clips

broj15

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words. I'm still loving everything about this guitar. I can't wait to bring it to my guitar lesson this week and watch my teachers shit bricks. He didn't know i was getting another 7 so his reaction should be funny lol.