lol Harry Potter geeks galore!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Josh, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Hawksmoor

Hawksmoor Wannabe Shredder

For very well written SF entertainment, give the STEN series a go, I love them, reading the whole series for the third time allready.

2. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Actually, I read those Foundation books ages ago, but I don't remember a bloody thing about them now. :lol:

I'm currently between books. I absolutely loved Pynchon's "Gravity's Rainbow," so I'm thinking of taking a crack at "V." Anyone read it?

3. Josh

Josh Contributor

This is exactly why I don't read more. :( I've tried reading a lot of other authors, but Koontz has been the only one to consistently hold my attention. :confused:

4. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

:lol: L ron hubbard is the only auther i can sit down and read, currently i am on the 3rd time through of battlefield earth and in the last 3 years i have read mission earth twice. I thought hitchikers was good but i finished restuarent at the end of the universe and said :ugh: . the first foundation was good and Asimov creates a good picture of what terminus should look like, atleast in my head :wallbash: I am too close minded to try and read anything else.

5. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

I just reread Batlefield Earth a few months ago and I thought, "Wow, L Ron is a pretty shitty writer!"

That's just my opinion. But to me, it's one of those wierd things... he still writes a pretty engrossing story. I guess he can't be THAT shitty! :lol: But I just found the writing so trite and lacking depth, but a very engaging plot I guess. Go figure. I still like the BE book :yesway:

6. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

The book they made the gimp miniseries out of?

Dude if you haven't read all the Dan Brown books, you need to. Immediately.

Prior to that though, if you havent' read all of Dark Tower, you should queue those up first. Fucking best set of books I've ever read.

7. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

I was a HUGE proponent that Koontz was a better writer than King for such a long time (the ol' Three Amigos days with Heise and Jax), and after getting really Koontzed-out, I started diving into King's stuff and I have to say King has it all over him.

Don't get me wrong, Koontz is the fucking man and he's a motherfucking publishing machine. Fear Nothing and Sieze the Night are two of my favorite alltime books and imho Koontz's masterpieces, with maybe One Door Away From Heaven coming in a close third. King is fucking amazing though, and once you get past his handful of shitty horror novels (or more appropriately, decent horror novels made shitty by wretched movie adaptations, like Salem's Lot), King really has some top-notch stuff in his library.

I rave about Dark Tower way too much, but that's King's damned Masterpiece. It's fucking amazing. For lighter King stuff that isn't straight-up-horror, Talisman and Black House are killer, as are the stuff he writes as Richard Bachman, like The Regulators. I've probably read 25 King books in the last year and I'm still not sick of him, whereas Koontz after awhile gets a little repetitive with the 'Three Plots, One Good Guy, One Bad Guy, One Middle Guy, Three Plots Come Together In The End' writing style that he almost always does. Not to say that it isn't great, but after 25 books that way it gets a touch on the old side.

Another fucking bad to the bone author is Brian Lumley, and the poor dude really needs to fire his fucking publicist because his book covers are absolutely rediculous. Look up Necroscope on amazon.com. It's a kickass friggin' book about vampires and modern-day-techno-spy stuff combined with cool ESP backstory, bastardized with this dumbass Manowar-esque bloody skull on the cover. Outstanding book, but most likely passed over by just about anyone but gorey horror buffs since the cover and title script are just absurd.

Anne Rice has some great books too. The first ~5 books in the Vampire Chronicles are totally badass (Interview, Vampire Lestat, etc), but after awhile she gets way too keen on the "All Vampires Are Renessaince Era Flaming Gay" tip and it just gets too cluttery with all sorts of gay overtones, which sucks because the first bunch are really great. :yesway:

My 2c. Or maybe that's a nickel. :D

8. NewArmyGuitar

NewArmyGuitar Fueled by Satan Contributor

Gotta agree with Chris on The Dark Tower and Dan Brown's books. All of those books are incredible. And back to the original subject, the new Harry Potter is only $16.98 at Target.

9. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

The plot is what brings me back to it, but after they blow up psyclo with the nukes in the coffins it drags ALOT!! The whole second half is a little long with only a little bit of action like the tolneps and johnny setting up all the defenses for earth. Oh well i cant complain becuase if i thought it was that boring i would have read it once :flame:

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

Not being familiar with this miniseries, I'll still come out and say that I'm 99.9% sure it's not, Chris. :lol: "Gravity's Rainbow" starts off as the story about british espionage agents in WWII who realize that a map American Lt. Tyrone Slothrop has been keeping of his sexual escapades in London corresponds exactly to a map of German V2 rocket strikes, with the rockets following Slothrop by a mean lag of about three days.

I say it starts there, because as one Amazon.com reviewer put it so much more succulently than I've been able to as of yet, about halfway through the book drops acid. :lol: It's one big twisted mess of paranoia/paranoid theory, conspiracy theory, deviant sexuality, 30's pop culture, drug use, espionage, halucination, polymer theory, and rocket science.

Word of warning - it's one of those books that's a HELL of a lot better on the second pass. :lol:

For the time being, I'm too proud to be another one of those guys sitting every third seat on the commuter rail train with a Dan Brown book. :lol: After the craze blows over I'll give one of 'em a shot within the privacy of my home, but I'll add Dark Tower to the list - not huge on horror, but I'll try anything once. ;)

FWIW, I thought "Interview With the Vampire" (the book) blew - Rice got WAY too hung up on the "education of a vampire" bit, to the point where it was less of a novel and more of a fixation. I read the second one anyway, which kicked ass. Made it through a couple more, but then the guy I'd been borrowing them from loaned one to someone else and never got it back, so I sorta hit a gap... :lol:

(although, you gotta figure, if I was alive for four or five hundred years, I suppose after a while I'd fuck anything too, sheerly out of boredom. :lol: )

11. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

Salem's lot was a great book. The miniseries had Rob Lowe and Donald Sutherland in it, and was only about .001% true to the book.

Dark Tower isn't horror, and it's 7 books long. It's erm.. Fantasy/Western/Scifi/Suspense, I guess. It's impossible to categorize, it's just brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

IVWTV - I liked it, only becasue I have a vampire thing and at the time really dug how into it she got, if it made the story a little slow.

You're missing out snubbing Brown dude. DVC is awesome, but if you want to start somewhere, read Angels & Demons first. I read it in two sittings, couldn't put it down, and I consider myself a book snob like you. ;) (I also majored in English for two years).

12. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

13. Hawksmoor

14. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

15. Hawksmoor

Aw come on... You'd believe it's the second coming or something. Clot that drakh...
    It's awfull when you really get into something and it gets spoiled by some intraweb goons but to take your life for that???
    Truly, this is a sad and disturbing universe.

16. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

That's a joke article. ;)

17. The Dark Wolf

The Dark Wolf Contributor

Oh yes. This series is one of the greatest of all time.

18. Leon

Leon {##[====:::. Contributor

i enjoy reading, but only when i'm relaxed. and i'm only really relaxed when my life is stable. and right now, it's definitely not. when i do read, it's usually non-fiction or fiction based on fact. i do enjoy some pure fiction, though.

i've seen the Harry Potter movies, but haven't read the books. someday i might. someday i'll read the LOTR books as well. and of course, i'll read a hundred million other books that i want to read too :p

19. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

The Harry Potter books are way better than the movies (I read the first four after seeing the first two movies and before seeing the third, and it almost ruined the third movie).

The fourth book is hardly a kids book and gets really dark towards the end, only to be one-upped by the fifth book, which is brilliantly written and really dark compared to the first three especially. By the end of the fifth book, you realize that there's no way that Daniel kid will be able to do the books properly, he's simply not a good actor. Since the characters of Ron and Hermione rarely step out of their very specific roles they won't have trouble, and the adult actors are all great, it's just Harry's character goes through some serious shit in the 4th and 5th books and I really don't think that Daniel kid can pull off the emotions of it without it turning corny.

Not to mention they're cutting out half the story at least for the 4th movie. I may have to wait for some reviews from trusted friends before I go to see it as I'm definitely expecting to be seriously disappointed.

20. Hawksmoor

The fact that I took it seriously only means that IMO it really could happen :wallbash: