lol Harry Potter geeks galore!

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by Josh, Jul 16, 2005.

1. Josh

Josh Contributor

Rachel has been reading the HP books for a while now, and we decided to go out and pick the new one up tonight, just for something to do. We drove by WalMart and laughed at the huge line of people, then to Barnes & Noble and laughed at the even longer line of people, then past Borders'....which was packed to the max with people waiting in line.

Then we went to Walgreens (which was completely void of other customers) and picked up the book before driving back past the other three places to laugh at the chumps again. :yesway: We saw so many people dressed up like the book's characters...it was rather silly. :nuts:

And I'm hoping that a large iced coffee at midnight wasn't such a bad idea. :eek:

2. dpm

dpm Oni Guitars Contributor

:lol: i went past a couple of stores today, it was pretty ridiculous

3. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

when harry plays A seven string I will remotely start to care!

4. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

As an american lit major with a focus in creative writing, I just care that all these kids are reading - it means that one day I may still have a profession. :lol: That said, all the media coverage of the feeding frenzy is what really scares me...

5. Digital Black

Digital Black SS.org Regular

I am a fan of books and printed media myself; I agree with you 100%.

6. Shawn

Shawn Ibanez Guitars Forum MVP

I was at the bookstore today earlier picking up the new Guitar World and was behind three people buying the new HP book.

7. Jason

Jason Forum MVP

what pisses me off was i was reading hary potter before it got uber popular.lol n\but not a biggie i still enjoy the movies and books.

8. jtm45

jtm45 SS.org Regular

That kid (Daniel something?) who plays him in the movies does play guitar and has got a Gibson flying V apparently (no 7's though :noway: ).

9. Vince

Vince Contributor

I initially want to say I agree completely, but being such a Star Wars nerd myself, I can see why people get so crazy for Harry Potter. It's their Star Wars.

10. Josh

Josh Contributor

I just thought it was funny that there were (between the three places we drove by first) easily more than a thousand people standing in line, and we strolled into an empty store just a mile or three from the others and bought the book with no waiting.

I suppose half of the appeal for the fanatics is to be noticed by other fanatics while in the midst of their fanaticism. :eek:

11. Vince

Vince Contributor

Yeah, or they just didn't think to go to Walgreens :D

12. jski7

jski7 SS.org Regular

I work at the Walgreens Dist. Ctr. here in Orlando , and we've had those books in stock for 2 months (at the warehouse) . They were kept in lockdown prior to shipping though .

13. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

Yeah I was a fan way before the movies came out too... I just really like the books!! I always buy the new book, read it in a week, then wait 2-3 years for the next one!!

AHAA! Walgreens eh! Thanks for the tip.... BCrowell leaves to go buy his copy!

14. Jerich

Jerich Contributor

then again i might just wait till the movie comes out . :lol: I wish i had time to read other then Magazines and emails. :wallbash:

15. Josh

Josh Contributor

I like the movies, but the storyline isn't weird enough to keep me riveted to a book I don't think. The only books I've ever really gotten into are Dean Koontz stuff...because I'm oddly intrigued by the bizarre. :lol:

16. Chris

Chris Forum MVP

I bought it today as well. ;)

17. BCrowell

BCrowell Cubicle Dweller Contributor

Believe it or not...I found Best Buy of all places, had the best deal!! 22.99$ and no lines! Walgreens wanted the full price!!

Now I must choose...read a few chapters of Harry Potter, or practice on the seven ARRGGHHHH

18. Josh

Josh Contributor

ouch! It was only a dollar more than that at the Walgreen's here. :yesway:

19. eleven59

eleven59 None shall pass. Contributor

I've read the first 5 in the last year and will read this one too. I love them, very well written. The 4th and 5th get progressively darker. I seriously hope they stop making movies, because the kid actors simply won't be able to do the 4th and 5th books justice (especially the kid who plays Harry), not to mention how much they'd cut out for time.

But then I read a lot. I'm currently on book 4 of Isaac Asimov's "Foundation" series ("Foundation's Edge") for the second time (read them the first time when I was in elementary school) and will probably re-read the "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy: Trilogy in Five Parts" again soon. I'm finding my main problem is that I go through books too fast :lol:

Btw, if anyone has ever read the Foundation series, Adrien Brody would be perfect to play the Mule if movies were ever made of the books.

20. macalpine88

macalpine88 SS.org Regular

I like to read also but my main problem is my mind starts to wander in all direction after a few minutes. :wallbash: