locking tuners and tuners that lock tune

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by The906, Aug 10, 2019.

1. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Maybe you guys could help me with the term "locking tuner". I seem to remember having an aftermarket set of "locking" tuners years ago that acted like a locking nut. The tuners locked in place once tuned, you had to loosen it to tune.
    But then there's the other kind that just lock the string into the post only.
    Anyone know what I'm talking about? I think I got the locking-in-tune tuners from StewMac and they had flat blade style screw locks you could tighten with a coin. I'm just a little confused with the term and how it applies if their are two different "locking" types of tuners.
    I could have been high on whatever drug was big in 2000 but I'm certain I wasn't according to my biographer.

2. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Huh...I've never heard of tuners that "lock the tuning"...any decent tuner does that on it's own. If yours don't, you just need better tuners...not special locking ones.

3. littlebadboy

littlebadboy SS.org Regular

Did you mean the PRS' low mass locking tuners?

[​IMG]

4. Zhysick

Zhysick SS.org Regular

First locking tuners I saw did actually locked the tuning not the string in the post so yes, there used to existe at least back then. It was so confusing to me when I started to read things like "even if you have locking tuners you need a locking nut for your Floyd equipped guitar" because just a few years before I started reading things like "with this locking tuners is like having a locking nut for your vintage teen Strat without having to modify your neck and the tubing stability is radically increased"

Confusing, yes, nowadays I have no idea which one is which.

The one I saw had a "wheel" in the back of the headstock. I guess it just "pressed" the mechanism somehow so the gears were just harder to move... Enough resistance so the strings tension (even with bends) cannot move it out of place but never had ones myself.

The906 likes this.
  5. The906

The906 lifetime novice Contributor

Thanks for the backup man! Maybe these don't exist anywhere any more but it was my first tuner replacement and those were the ones I wound up getting.

Zhysick likes this.
  6. Bearitone

Bearitone SS.org Regular

A spur gear cannot drive a worm gear. Therefore tuning should always be “locked” from a tuner standpoint.

I think a big reason guitars go out of tune is because friction between the nut and string keeps the string from going back to its resting position after a bend. It’s why low friction nut materials are disreable.

There’s also expansionand contraction due to heat and humidity change. This is another reason why wood isn’t the “best” material from a tuning stability standpoint. For the best tuning stability you either need a reinforcement material mated/integrated with the neck, or you need to make the entire neck out of a material that’s dimensionally stable across the temperature and humidity ranges a guitar can experience.

The906 likes this.
  7. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

This!

Locking tuners are mostly about quick and easy string changes, not about keeping a guitar in tune more easily. This is a very common misconception.

The906, TheWarAgainstTime and budda like this.