Locking nut on RG7321?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by AvengedESP, Jul 21, 2011.

1. AvengedESP

AvengedESP Well-Known Member

Basically, is it possible to (relatively easily) install a locking nut on my 7321? If not I will have to go with locking tuners which are a lot more expensive, and don't look as cool (that's what it's all about, right?). I only got it the other day as my first 7 string and I love it, but I hate having to retune the damn thing every 5 minutes...

I can install a standard nut, but I've never done a locking one before and there doesn't seem to be enough space looking at my ESP's Floyd system :scratch:

Anyway, these are what I was thinking about:

7 STRING FLOYD ROSE LOCKING NUT GOLD/BLACK/CHROME | eBay

EDIT: Try this link - http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=390148373043#ht_4853wt_1139

EDIT: Okay link isn't working, but you get the idea.

Thanks guys :)

2. Elysian

Elysian Banned

7321 doesn't have an tunable bridge so it's a waste of time. Go locking tuners.

mod edit: you've been told before, stop trying to sell things outside the classifieds / dealers section... if you can't resist take it to PM

3. AvengedESP

I know it doesn't have fine tuners but I just wanted something to lock it in place... I suppose breaking out the alan keys every time you want to change isn't great anyway :(

I'd love to take you up on that offer but I've just spent £160 on a set of BKPs as well as buying the guitar itself, I'm all spent this month (the locking nut was £8 delivered so that's not so bad), I'll keep it in mind for next payday though ^^

4. Elysian

Elysian Banned

The problem with a locking nut without an adjustable bridge is that the strings go sharp as soon as you lock the nut.

5. technomancer

technomancer Gearus Pimptasticus Super Moderator

Try lubing the nut with graphite and making sure the strings don't bind... while the stock tuners on that are pretty bad, the strings binding on the poorly cut nut tends to cause a lot of problems as well.

6. AvengedESP

Happens on my ESP all the time... have to tune almost a whole half step down before locking it :/

Looking at putting the Sperzels and maybe a new nut (this one looks worn, bought the guitar second hand) on soon, will contact you when I get the cash... also, is there a big difference between getting a bone nut or staying plastic?