Locked on Engl, but which?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Animal, Nov 29, 2010.

1. Animal

Animal Member

Hi everyone. I have always read the forums as a guest, and felt finally it was time to be not just a ghost but to show face. I have always found forums very useful. Without them, I would have no idea about half of the things that I know about. Thanks guys.

I am finally ready to elevate my power, and go into amp/head land. I have my eyes locked on Engl, and have been dreaming about these amps. I love metal. I play metal (as well as rock, I like listening to classical music, as well as trance). I want my amp as versatile as me. Some of my most listened to metal bands are Iced Earth, Fear Factory, Hypocrisy, Children of Bodom, Darkseed and Helloween. I am aware that both of the last bands DO play ENGL. I am going to break down what I would like from each channel, so you get a general idea of where my tiny little head is at.

Clean Channel -The type of clean that I am looking for is bright, and shimmery. I hate it when an amp have a damn good overdriven sound, and can kick it with the rock, and metal - BUT the cleans are not clean at all, as well as dead, and sterile.

Crunch channel - I also like the crunch to be on the bright side, and have some balls to it. I won't use this channel as much as the others though.

Ripper tearer slasher channel - I love the tight staccato riffs that Dino/Christian have come up with Fear Factory and I love solos like Randy Rhoades, Brian May, Chris/Mike Amott,Tom Englund,etc. I want an amp that is tight as hell, BUT as I said before, I like being versatile, so something that can switch from tight to loose (for some solos etc.), I feel would be great for me. I do not like a high hiss at the top, and I don't like anything that sounds compressed or digital sound to it. I like it smooth. I would love to dial in a kickass scooped tone.

The Engls that I am looking at are the following

Savage (really mixed reviews that I have read, and heard it used a lot on youtube from Ola, from Feared) Too bad it doesn't have in a built in nose gate :( It sounds like a real super dark amp.

Invader (Bulb has put some stuff on youtube - lotta mids... and a lot of the other clips don't sound good.) and uploaded something on soundclick which I like a lot MP3 Player SoundClick) Sounds bright. I like bright. This head really is the least reviewed, demoed on the net, from what I have seen. But that soundclick file by bulb really draws me to it. If it had more gain, and some other stuff, I probably wouldn't be writing this. I would already have this. I have read quite a few "reviews" - saying that this amp isn't metal. If that's so, why the hell do Kreator use them, or Universum or Chris Caffery. Your guess is as good as mine. Super curious about this one.

Special Edition E670 (really REALLY pricey. I would rather not go this route if I can find what I want in the Invader or Savage) Sounds interesting. Bit of dark and bright. Also there are two models.

Which amp is the best for me? Are the noisegates the same for the Special Editions and the Invader? (Even though there is an extra option on the SE).

So in closing, I will be buying this without playing it due to where I live. I live in New York, and there is not an Engl dealer around (that I am aware of for hours and hours - by that I mean like 5 hours+). The only closest thing is a store that can purchase it for me, but I can't play it in the store. Please help. It isn't easy to find someone who plays an Engl, as easy as other brands - yet great players are endorsed by Engl.

TimSE likes this.
  2. Rook

Rook Electrifying

Regardless of what you're aiming to, the only ENGLs I like are the Invader and the Steve Morse, and the only one I'd own is the Morse.

I'm sure someone's about to put me in my place, but the only ENGL where all those knob and switches made for a truly versatile and usable amp for lots of applications. The invader just gave me lots of different types of ENGL metal tone, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Morse wasn't on your list, but gets my vote, lol.

3. drenzium

drenzium SS.org Regular

Blackmore or Invader are the ones i'd choose from their line :)

4. mattie

mattie SS.org Regular

Hey I just got my Engl invader 100 this month and I think it will fit you very well. I actually talked to Ola from feared, and asked for some amp advice, he also pointed me to the invader.

First off, I whould like to destroy that rumor "Engl invader isnt metal". Though I agree that its not ONLY for metal, cuz its a really versatile amp. But if I had to put the invader in a genre, it definitely be metal.

Second, not enough gain? :) When I dial in a modern metal tone, I play on channel 2 or 3, with gain at 9-11 o'clock(with bright and highgain switches on). Because the 4th channel, or beyond 12 on ch 2 or 3 has a ridiculous amount of gain, I only use that for some leads and solos.

With four channels, presence, depth punch, bright and highgain switch, its almost a challenge to find a tone u cant do. The bright and highgain switches changes the voicing of the amp completely, 4 different sounds on each channel (off/off > on/off > on/on > off/on :) )

I'm no amp expert, I have only tried mesa boogie dual rectifier(2010), peavey 6505+, mesa roadster, engl invader 150 and 100. And it was an easy choice for me. It is so easy to use, awesome versatility, supercleans>crunch>rock>metal to highgain in different voicings. And it sounds really good at low volumes as well. It's no problem at all to use it in an apartment. That was some of the pros that made med choose the invader.

I use both emgs, blackouts, six and sevenstrings, it takes pedals very well in the fx loop, and it cuts through the mix very well. Actually I cant find any flaws with it. All I can say is that I am super satisfied with my invader 100, and I think u will be too! Oh, and btw, I think Alexi Laiho from Children of Bodom uses Engl aswell.

Cheers, Mattie

5. Darren James

Darren James SS.org Regular

What about the powerball 2? I've personally have never really seen a lot of talk about these amps but they seem to sound good and arnt to to expensive. Maybe somone can put me in my place with thus one.

6. espman

espman Is beardless....

Great amp, but the clean channel could use some work (not very "shimmery" to use the OP's words. It still sounds very good though and if the OP is willing to sacrifice the shimmer, a pb would be a great choice.
    Anyways, I'd recommend an Invader, as with any Engl, there is more gain on tap than any sane person will ever need :lol: And imo the cleans are considerably better than a Powerball, however it also costs quite a bit more.

7. Scar Symmetry

Scar Symmetry Ex Whiny Bitch

Personally I would get the Savage and not even think about the rest, the Savage smokes the other ENGLs IMO.

8. MastrXploder

MastrXploder SS.org Regular

Having owned many engls I'd go the invader 100. Was my favorite when it comes to versatility. You can literally do anything with it. Plus the midi is always cool :hbang:

My personal favorite for straight metal is the fireball 100. The best sounding heavy tone I've ever heard and the cleans were surprisingly good compared to the powerball and older fireball 60.

9. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

You can't go wrong with the nicer Engls, for sure. I'll stake the claim that the SE is the tone of modern metal - nothing else does it better, regardless of the price. Nothing. The Invader can also do metal, very well... I won't even bother listing all of the extreme metal bands using them, and all getting different (but very good) tones.

Both heads are very versatile, and cover a lot of ground. I might look at it this way - both can get you what you're looking for. The Invader might have a slight edge in non-metal tones, but really only slight. Also, the Invader has less of that signature Engl signal path compression than the SE does, which is why a lot of people comment on it being more 'organic' (or open) sounding... maybe that matters to you, maybe it doesn't. I personally love my E570.

Edit: forgot to mention the Savage - it's a great head. Has the signature Engl tone, and a lot of punch. Very dry sounding. I wouldn't say it's as versatile as either the SE or Invader, but if you like it's tone, it's cheaper than either. Not a bad choice at all, but it didn't blow me away. I like my SE pre a lot better.

10. Inazone

Inazone SS.org Regular

Don't make an onboard noise gate a priority. Get an amp with tones that you like, and if it has a built-in gate, consider that a bonus. The more "non-amp" features an amp has included, the more things that can go wrong and be difficult to fix.

11. TMM

TMM UUDDLRLRBAStart

+1

Beyond that, I'll say the noise gate on the SE isn't the best I've ever used (can't speak to the Invader, but I suspect it's the same / similar). The ISP and Rocktron's HUSH are much better gates.

12. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

If you're interested in the SE, then do yourself a favor and save up for it. I sincerely doubt you'll regret it. The SE is the first ENGL I bought, and it's also the one that has lasted the longest. I've owned pretty much everything else since then (minus the Invader).

13. Decimater1

Decimater1 Deci

if ur worried bout the gate.. get the ISP Decimater, its soooo good. and you can dial in exactly what you want. Did you say the Invader needs more gain?!?! that thing is crazy. when bulb plays his his gain is not even close to being all the way up. That amp is a beast!

14. Animal

Animal Member

Hi everyone. Thanks!

Fun111 and Drenzium:I heard very nice things about the Morse. After giving thought to it, I didn't want to go the Artist signature route. I want to find my own tone, and not go down a way that someone already has made, and made an amp for their needs, and tone. I feel like I would sell myself short, me personally.

Mattie - Thank you tons! I am super interested in the Invader. It seems like it has loads of options, and is quite versatile. I haven't heard real great clips of this amp, aside from the Bulb one, and a Kreator clip I heard last night. Do you have any? Do you think I can dial in a good scooped tone for some death metal inspired stuff then get it to say some more, arch enemy type sounding? I love that older Fear Factory sound too. I have to say, you are really convincing me good that this amp might be the one for me haha.

I tried the 6505+ and geez, was not impressed at all. The rectifiers sound too sterile for my taste.

Darren and ESPman: I was looking at the Powerball 2 for quite some time. I got turned off that I couldn't control all four channels and not tweak them all differently if I chose so. I also really haven't heard good clips from them. The Premier Guitar clip left a lot to be desired from.

Scar Symmetry: I love the name. Love the band. Heaven Shall burn uses the Savage, don't they?

MastrXploder: yea, the Fireball sounds pretty nice! But the same reason with the Powerball - not many options, and not many controls :(

TMM: You make really good points. I have now knocked out the SE editions. I think also that it is too too much money and out of my range anyway. Thank you. Not a fan of the compression stuff. If I go the Savage route, I will look into those gates - thanks.

Inazone: Also, very valid points. I only worry about a noise gate taking away tone, so I figure if an amp has it built in, that won't happen as much, but true enough.

Larrikin - thanks. I have heard tons of great things about the amp. I can't reason with the price though. Does it sound compressed to you?

Decimater1 - yea, Bulb doesn't really like putting too much bottom in his sound either, as he said. Never heard of the ISP Decimater. Thanks!

15. drenzium

drenzium SS.org Regular

Dude that's not even a real argument. You could basically consider every amp released to be a signature model of the designers for the amp company, because they're designing it to sound how they want. Behind every amp there is influence on how it should sound, artists just add extra input onto signature models. Price would be the only factor i'd be worried about, not sound.

16. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I played a JSX for a few years and never once sounded like Satch :lol:

that said, go try a Fender 5150III. That was the amp that came to mind when you were describing the tones you want.

17. Animal

Animal Member

Understood and understood. Thank you for giving me a reality check. I just worry about anything when a name is attached to it.

18. Larrikin666

Larrikin666 Deadite

Yeah. I saw Wutain using the Steve Morse and Savage when we opened for them a few weeks ago. The amps sounded killer. I think my SE sounded better, but you can't really go wrong with the Steve Morse IMO.

19. metalmonster

metalmonster SS.org Regular

ENGL SE are awesome , but if you can't afford those , i'll go for the Invader since you seem to prefer the tone of those rather than the Savages (which are my personal preference , even if i'd go with a bogner uberschall if i had money and wanted a beast of an amp for metal \o/ )

20. Krucifixtion

Krucifixtion Duncan Hills

I have an Invader and love it! I know you can never find many good videos on youtube. I have a crappy video up that sounds like shit cause its a camera with a crappy mic and no one seems to care to read the description. Anyway...the Invader is very versatile and can do a lot of different tones from really sparkly clean to Marshall style overdrive to heavy high gain. My gain barely ever makes it to half way! It's got way more gain then you'll ever need! The SE's are pretty sick too, but they are also like $1,000 more!