loadbox for 150w triple rectifier non multi watt

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by teamSKDM, Dec 29, 2020.

1. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

hey guys so im about to venture out and search for a revision F triple rectifier , and did plan on using it with a loadbox of some kind followed by an impulse loader in the DAW.

from what I understand the suhr loadboxes are some of the best available , followed by two notes but both of these manufacturers only make loadboxes up to 100w

Is there any way to run the triple safely at 150w with either of these products , and if there is another product that can do it is it significantly better/worse than the aforementioned?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

You can use a 100w loadbox. I used a Torpedo Live with a Triple Recto for months and nothing caught fire. The Triple's sweet spot is well below any danger zone on the master volume.

But yeah, the Suhr seems to be one of the best loadboxes to run with a Recto, since Rectos seem to not get along with Two Notes ones.

TheWarAgainstTime likes this.
  3. Boris_VTR

Boris_VTR SS.org Regular

Two Notes torpedo reload is probably what you need:
    Reactive Load box
    Adjustable impedance: 4, 8 or 16 Ohms
    Max admissible power: 150W RMS (200W peak)
    Coold by temperature-controlled fan and active thermal security: the amp and musician work in security.

The maximum admissible power of the Torpedo Reload is 150W RMS, your amplifier shouldn't be set to play at a higher output power value. See link if your amplifier is more powerful than 150W: https://support.two-notes.com/knowledgebase.php?article=277

Yes, you can use an amplifier more powerful than the rated power of a Torpedo product. With a Torpedo Studio or Reload, you can use an amplifier rated for more than 150W. With a Torpedo Live or Captor, you can use an amplifier rated for more than 100W. The only thing is : you just have to keep the output volume of the amp low enough.

4. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

The torpedo reload is rated for 200w rms iirc and can be used for even higher voltage as long as you don't run them at max volume. I use my 180w MI Beta with it just fine.

I used a bunch of 120w amps back when I had the captor as well.

From what I've seen the rectos tend to respond better to the Suhr vs other loadboxes due to the impedance curve.

HeHasTheJazzHands likes this.
  5. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

I'm curious about how two notes' load boxes don't get along with Rectos. I'm currently using an original 8ohm captor with my 100w multi watt and haven't noticed anything wrong. Is there a risk of damage?

6. DaZoner

DaZoner SS.org Regular

Oops nevermind, didn't read the previous post. So I'll update question. Is it a large difference of tone between the impedance curve between the Suhr and two notes'? Like more highs... More definition?

7. eaeolian

eaeolian Pictures of guitars I don't even own anymore! Super Moderator

That makes it especially interesting that the Two Notes stuff is built into the new Badlander, as well as their new CabClone IR.

8. KnightBrolaire

KnightBrolaire only the dead have seen the end of GAS

The Suhr is closer to how speakers naturally perform iirc. The two notes curve is less natural. Older rectos are much more sensitive to impedance curves .

@mnemonic had a detailed post about it a while back.
    Yeah I don't know how it affects their newer designs but older rectos are apparently more sensitive to the difference.

I know it doesn't affect Marks though :shrug:

9. Meeotch

Meeotch SS.org Regular

FYI Suhr revisited their max power handling spec and updated it to 150w RMS. You have to go into the user manual and look under specifications to find this updated spec. It is still listed at 100w in other literature but in the thread for the IR version on TGP John confirmed the 150w spec!

10. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

not from personal experience, but ive read several times that the torpedo loadboxes can sound squishy and blanketed in comparison to the suhr which is more defined with a more pleasant transparent high end

11. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

Good to know! For what it's worth to the OP, I love my Suhr Reactive Load :yesway:

Meeotch likes this.
  12. The Thing Upstairs

The Thing Upstairs SS.org Regular

Just to throw an alternative out there - Boss Waza Tube Amp Expander. Will take 150w - not that you would want to turn your recto all the way up anyway.
    I've tried quite a few load boxes and the TAE was my favourite as it also worked as an attenuator (a great sounding / useful one).

13. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I don’t think the load is the same, though they share some chips. Vince tried his Captor X with his Badlander, then the Badlander with the built-in CabClone IR, and it was different in terms of feel and sound. Not night and day, but different. I’ve also used the CCIR+ for quite a while, and now have the Captor X, and I like the latter a bit more.

14. Chebax

Chebax SS.org Regular

+1 for the Suhr reactive load. I´ve been using it with my Rev G Triple Recto for several months now and absolutely zero issues. Sounds and feels amazing.

And as @Meeotch said, it's been officially rated to 150W now, I guess they realized they were too conservative with the previous 100W rating.

15. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Torpedo Reload and Suhr have been mentioned; Ox Box and Torpedo Studio are also rated for 150w.

Class AB amplifiers are measured without distorting the sine wave; so it’s the cleanest signal they can provide without breakup. Saturation and clipping throw those tests out the window, as the peaks are drastically reduced, but the average level increases. You have more headroom than your loudest clean signal. All that is just to say: you will probably never be pushing the amp anywhere near the ceiling, and using 100w load boxes will work in almost every situation; just be mindful with the master volume.

16. sakeido

sakeido Contributor

Captor sounds funny cuz it doesn't resemble a real load. See below, it's not even close. If you want to know why it matters more for some amps than others, read on, otherwise just skip all the charts.. go buy a Suhr Reactive Load, even though it simulates a 4x12 Marshall with Greenbacks instead of a 4x12 Recto OS with V30s.

Every cabinet is going to have a spike like you see on the chart below, it'll just move up or down depending on the speaker & box design. This is the resonant frequency of the speaker box. You don't need much amplifier energy at this point to make a lot of noise. Your speaker will naturally accommodate that, because it's impedance will go shooting upwards at this point. In the example below, a 16 ohm cabinet will have an impedance of 75 ohms at its resonance. As impedance goes up, power output drops - this effect is way more obvious with digital amps than tube ones, but it's still there to an extent so it affects our feel. Note the spike is right around 120hz, important region for TOANZ

Rectos in modern mode have no negative feedback. No negative feedback means a very low damping factor. With a low damping factor, your speaker load will affect the power amp performance a lot more than a heavily damped amp. Marks are very heavily damped (as far as I know) which is what makes them sound so tight and controlled; it also means they don't care about the load. The output at the speaker jack is always going to be more or less the same. The same is not true of a Rectifier. The output at the speaker jack is going to change, depending what that speaker jack is connected to. Or you can also just flip your Recto to Vintage mode, then it has negative FB, damping goes up, load matters less.

Real speaker:
    [​IMG]

Captor:
    [​IMG]

Suhr:
    [​IMG]

credit to this guy here Z.pdf (masterplant.com)

Another way of looking at it - here is a post from a hi-fi forum showing how amplifiers with different damping factors are going to react to the impedance of their speaker load. The differences in magnitude aren't big (+/- 0.5dB) but that's with a DF of 10, and I'm pretty sure a Recto is even lower than that.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...rk-myth-busting-white-paper.13826/post-422677

Edika, Dineley, laxu and 1 other person like this.
  17. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yo load box folks! care to explain why an OX amp top box costs insane moolah compared to most others?

18. laxu

laxu SS.org Regular

It’s not a good buy when the Boss TAE is about the same and the Fryette PS2 is cheaper and you get a really good tube poweramp in there.

The UAD Ox value is in the cab sim department mostly. It is mediocre as an attenuator.