Little more gain on a K7...

meduz

Reaction score
hello
I love this guitar, i love it sound but i want a little bit more gain with the bridge pickup (paf7 in neck is really good)

i don t know what to do between:

install an X2n in bridge (to get always the guitar in passive)
or
install an pair of EMG 81-7 (maybe 81 & 85)...

i don t know how the response of mahogany body will be...

an idea ?

(sorry for my english)

thx,

xtrustisyoursx

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
in my opinion, an x2n =/= "a little bit more gain" because the x2n is suuuuuuper hot. It also doesn't sound that great in mahogany. I'd go with something a little bit less hot in the bridge, because there are alot of things that are hotter than a paf, but not as much as an EMG or x2n.

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
The response with an active in Mahogany will blow you away. I agree with you that the paf7 pickups are very low output compared to many other pickups and that the result is a less gainy sound. Put in some active pickups. Either Duncan Blackouts or an EMG 81-7 would sound amazing in that guitar. I know cause I have an Apex1. I cant play any guitars anymore with my band that dont have actives. They just dont sound good unless they are actives. Everyone is going to have different reccomendations for pickups but since you mentioned EMG you should put in an 81-7. It will sound ridiculously different with much more sharp gain than what you have now. I actually never understood why Head and Munky like passives. perhaps cause they have alot more involved in their rig than just the guitar and amp to sharpen and clarify the sound, in addition they do alot of cleans and the paf7s are amazing fore cleans but IMO they are horrible for high gain chunky sharp tones, especially if you like to palm mute alot. Something they rarely do.

djpharoah

Awwww Yeaaaah
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Replace the PAF7 with an EVO7 and enjoy the party. Don't route the K7 for actives for the love of god!

leonardo7

Banned
Reaction score
I actually do agree that it would be much easier to put in a higher output Dimarzio than route for actives. Absolutely worth trying first I guess.

XeoFLCL

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Evo7s sound more than great. I love them :agreed:

That or a D-Sonic should suit the guitar rather well

TomAwesome

I LIKE JUICE!!!
Reaction score
First, I'd try adjusting the PAF. Move it closer to the strings, and/or adjust the pole pieces out a little bit. If you like the sound of the PAF and just want more power, and if the adjustments don't work, try a Blaze. It's in the same basic area as the PAF 7, but it's stronger.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
If you like the tone, why not just put in an active buffer/preamp like the EMG PA-2 or Afterburner? Keep the tone but make it louder.

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
I've got an X2N 7 in my 7, but it isn't mahogany; it's basswood. But, the X2N 7 isn't too extreme like some people say it is, I can get some amazing cleans out of it, as well as in-your-face high gain.

Also, keep in mind that DiMarzio 7-string pups aren't exact replicas of their 6er counterparts. So, to the people who have tried the 6 version of the X2N in a mahogany guitar and didn't like the sound, it's probably going to sound different with the 7 version.

Teaboy

Reaction score
I've got an X2N 7 in my 7, but it isn't mahogany; it's basswood. But, the X2N 7 isn't too extreme like some people say it is, I can get some amazing cleans out of it, as well as in-your-face high gain.

Also, keep in mind that DiMarzio 7-string pups aren't exact replicas of their 6er counterparts. So, to the people who have tried the 6 version of the X2N in a mahogany guitar and didn't like the sound, it's probably going to sound different with the 7 version.

^ This.

I have both the X2N-7 and the X2N. Admittedly they are in completely different guitars (Les Paul 7 vs. Ibanez S, both mahogany) but I found the the X2N-7 better than the X2N. The low end is tighter on the 7 version.

I recently posted a clip I made with my X2N-7. There's no EQ, just a PODxt patch. SoundClick artist: Andy Doyle - page with MP3 music downloads

BrainArt

Deftones Guru.
Reaction score
^ This.

I have both the X2N-7 and the X2N. Admittedly they are in completely different guitars (Les Paul 7 vs. Ibanez S, both mahogany) but I found the the X2N-7 better than the X2N. The low end is tighter on the 7 version.

I recently posted a clip I made with my X2N-7. There's no EQ, just a PODxt patch. SoundClick artist: Andy Doyle - page with MP3 music downloads

That's an awesome clip, man! I need to get a Pod, badly. I love how the X2N 7 sounds in my 7321FM, so tight. I tuned my low B down a G and the pup still kept it's tightness.

darren

Forum MVP
Reaction score
For what it's worth, i tried out Kevan's RG-GEAR (Mahogany body) with Evolutions in it, and it sounded AMAZING. Granted, these were 6-string Evolutions, but still... incredible pickup in Mahogany. Thick, tight and chunky.

meduz

Reaction score

i say x2n first because i got an x2n on a washburn dime (mahogany body with maple table if i remember right) and i really like it.

it s very cool all your answers but i think lost now...
:)

evo7, preamp Pa2 or Ab...

i don t think about the PA2 but i think now it will be an idea to conserve the tone of the Paf...

;)