Listening to unfinished demos frequently instead of finishing the song

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by thevisi0nary, Apr 8, 2016.

1. thevisi0nary

thevisi0nary SS.org Regular

Anyone else do this?

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  2. Andrew May

Andrew May SS.org Regular

Yep, Mayhem's "grand declaration of war" un mastered version is practically a different album. The rough ideas for MM "antichrist superstar" have been floating around for years, they're not better tracks but they're an enjoyable listen. There's plenty more examples but the mind is blank atm.

3. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

I might be wrong, but I don't think that's what he meant. He said, "instead of finishing the song".

No, I don't do this. Do I listen to my work in progress a ton? Hell yeah, but when I sit down to work on the song I more than anything want to at least get one new part down.

Rev.

4. rokket2005

rokket2005 SS.org Regular

It's called demolitis, and it's a terrible curse. I usually hit it after I have everything done save for vocals, and when you get used to things sounding a certain way they become normal and it's tougher to change things, or even discern what needs changing or fixing.

5. bostjan

bostjan MicroMetal Contributor

I have a solo album that has been stuck in development hell for 3 years now. :(

6. Andrew May

Bugger.

Um, I've only just started writing music again after a long haiatus so I guess I'll let you know!

I might start a thread on the other topic...

7. Nlelith

Nlelith Motion Designer

Guilty as charged.

And after listening to these, I usually go and write another songs, instead of finishing demos.

8. Crescendo

Crescendo Surgical

Yep. It's like looking for an answer and trying to figure out what riff should be coming next, but often I have no fcking idea. I miss the flow I used to have. Maybe I lack flow because I restrict myself very much; I don't want to sound like this or that.

9. Andrew May

I think the key is to remember that NO ONE ELSE CARES about the minutiae of your track, if you can get it to a listenable state then you can get it out there and folk will listen to it on its merits, no one will know that you agonised on whether to repeat riff A for two more bars or not or if the bass guitar is double or triple tracked. :yesway:

10. Demiurge

Demiurge Intrepid Jackass

This is a habit of mine.

Taking a guess at the reason for it, I think that it's an easier form a gratification. It's raw- inspiration strikes, the basic idea gets laid down, and at that point there's still the excitement of possibilities and it feels like a job well-done on its own.

After that comes the hard part, developing & finalizing- with that come the challenges (filling-out the whole arrangement/composition, recording everything just right) and the doubts (Does this part work? Should I use a different tone? Do I still like this?).

Not to sound too hippy-dippy about it, but it's almost akin to how some people don't act on their ambitions for fear of failure: if they try, they may fail, but as long as it's a work-in-progress in their imagination, it's 'perfect' in a way.

11. 3074326

3074326 Local Astronaut

Haven't finished a song in about a year. I have about 15 works in progress that will likely never get finished.

I pretty much only finish songs when it's all done in one night. I hate myself.

And yes I do listen to them frequently. Still.

12. right_to_rage

right_to_rage Avant Temporal

Coming up with ideas requires inspiration, finishing a song requires discipline. You must force yourself to sit down and do the work. Simple to do, easy not to do!

13. gnoll

gnoll SS.org Regular

When the songs are unfinished, listening to them bugs me. If I feel something isn't right about it or that it's not as good as it could be, then I have a strong urge to fix that. That said, I still listen to the songs a lot to actually try and figure out what needs to be fixed and how. And it still takes a stupidly long time to finish them. But if I do listen and feel that they are in fact "unfinished" then that also spurs me on to work harder on them.

14. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Agreed. This sometimes feels like a blessing and sometimes a curse. It can suck your time away like a trip through a wormhole though.......(yes I just watched Interstellar :agreed:)....

15. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

It was the visit to the planet orbiting close to the blackhole that slowed their time, not the trip through the wormhole.

- yeah, I had to be that guy and I don't care! :flame: (and I know you know, I'm just being silly)

Rev.

16. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

:agreed: I can't stand demos, especially my own. They're merely drafts of a song in progress, that are meant to be finished off. Nothing more. The more I listen to my demos, the more I want to finish the song.

Once I finish a demo, I'll spend some time on pre-production: basically if necessary changing, arranging/rearranging, re-recording parts over scratch tracks, instrument changes, proper rehearsal etc. Sometimes the demos don't change, sometimes the change is so dramatic it's sounds completely different. All of this is important to make sure the song gets the proper sonic treatment it deserves. Plus it fully prepares me for the final recording and all post-production procedures.

For this reason, I'll never release demos to the general public. I won't stop others from doing so, but I can't see myself releasing something unfinished when I can do much better.

17. ToneLab

ToneLab Bedroom Playa

Ha ha point accepted :agreed:

18. WishIwasfinnish

WishIwasfinnish SS.org Regular

Listening to the demos over and over is good if you can hear things you want to change and actually do end up changing them, but you gotta finish them before you get too obsessed.