List of MIstakes in Guitar playing

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by meteor685, Sep 25, 2014.

1. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

these are all. obvious, but i figured i would make a thread just listing some mistakes players(me included) make. These are all mistakes i made which made me not improve at guittar at all and meeting others who surprisingly make the same mistakes as me. I think ive improved though in the last few months since making my lightning fast thread, gradually not making any of these mistakes no more =).

1. Workin on too much at once or skipping around things a bunch, like one day u work on scott hendersons video, then tmmrw you work on metal, then the next day fingerstyle, then the next something else, etc. :scream:
    2. Practicing only exercises for technique , but not songs.
    3. NOt learning things by ear, in other words being a guy who asks for tabs. Transcribe at the least, imo its just soo rewarding when u can learn something by ear even if you cant play it right just yet.
    4. Starting too far above ur level, for example a beginner trying to learn technical difficulties by paul gilbert. yep that was me haha.
    5. Looking for a quick solution, there isn't one magic lick or magic lesson that will make u conquer guitar. yes i made this mistake by plowing sloppily through guitar messenger lessons, or being me makin loads of threads lookin for a magic tip. .
    6. Ignoring bends, and vibrato, especially when learning solos.
    7. Not learning the full song, but only learning the solo./
    8. Makin excuses, like you dont have time, theres always time, if u care enough u will utilize the time you have even it was very little.
    9. learnin things cuz u think u'll get good doin it, or cuz ur friends are doin it. Only learn the music you like. Marty Friedman says that somewhere
    10. Quitting.
    11. Not playing slow, if u play fast too soon its gonna sound terrible. :agreed:

Idk if im right about this mistake, but imo so far of workin more on improv, and writing , also learnin more about my fretboard and theory, practicing improv is not putting on random backing tracks and just mindlessly noodling unprepared.

ANyways happy shredding :shred::shred::shred:

2. TaP

TaP Genin

I've actually heard Luke Hoskin say something positive about #1. When you're in a rut, to constantly switch it up, whatever helps keep you on the instrument will help you progress.
    I believe it... if a pro says it at least.
    #9 lol that's me somewhat... I learn things I want to play but somewhere in my head I'm like "I know this'll get me sweet!"

3. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

i meant like learning things you dont like for the sake of others.

Lol im like that alot i always try to find songs nowadays that will help my playing.

4. TaP

TaP Genin

Oh yea' I hear you. I can't even find it in me to stop playing songs that are pretty hard, so I can't imagine playing things I don't like for others...
    Oh wait nvm! I've been asked that a FEW times haha. Once people/friends hear you're a guitarist, they want a cover machine for all of their favorite songs.

5. TRENCHLORD

TRENCHLORD Banned

One of the most frequent "mistakes" I've always noticed is that many players (even some long-time players) seem to not listen closely or honestly to the sound/tone coming out of the speakers.
    Just because a guy can get to all the notes with both hands and stay on beat does not always mean it's sounding good at all coming out the cab. :lol:
    Personally I'd rather hear a simpler riff being nailed with perfect mutes and touch-sensetive picking rather than hyper-tech riffs with string-chopping and everywhere buzzing.

6. neurosis

neurosis SS.org Regular

One mistake I make a lot is what you referenced with time. I noodle around and tell myself I will make a schedule and do a little everyday instead of trying to find the right time to do more on one given day. Mainly this is because I always favor my professional development over everything, so instead of guitar I am rather drawn to picking up other skills. I actually play guitar mostly when I am under pressure or pissed. It's my safe place really.

7. Chiba666

Chiba666 SS.org Regular

Biggest mistake getting an account on SSO. My bank balance has never been the same since. Stay away and go to UG.com it saves you money and the dreaded GAS.

Lol

8. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

My mistake/problem:

"Im more of a rhythm player." so no lead practice gets done... :(

9. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

>> being lazy b*stard

That about sums it up . I haven't learnt a full song in yonks!

10. ghost_of_karelia

ghost_of_karelia Utrydd dei Svake

Oh hell yes, the feels are flowing. I play rhythm in my prog metal band so I spent probably October 2013 through to July 2014 practicing my chops for the album recording, probably without touching the upper 12 frets at all :lol:

Got to college a few weeks ago and started my diploma course... everyone (younger than me to a man) is shredding like Yngwie. :noplease:

11. ghostred7

ghostred7 Banned

I'd like to add one that has been and still is a crux of mine after 28yrs...

* Learn theory and learn ability to sight-read sheet music

On your list #3 = so much (directly proportionate to my above statement lol). I can't sight-read, can barely slow-read, etc.....I **HAVE** to rely on my ears b/c I hate tab lol

12. meteor685

meteor685 SS.org Regular

yep, made that mistake. Also another mistake i made especially in lead tunes, like the one below im soon going to be working on(for maybe a few weeks or months idk, cuz its sooo harddd)), is not paying attention to the vibrato or the bends, or the whammies, and only transcribing the shred parts.

For anyone who hasnt heard of jake Guy, do so now, he is such an amazing player

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDkoCbVuHVo

13. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

Spending too much time on forums and YouTube when you should be practicing.

14. redstone

redstone SS.org Regular

- avoiding difficulties and questions, lacking curiosity
    - underestimating ear (and vibrato) training
    - idealizing theory, harmony, instead of realizing it
    - composing with hands instead of mind
    - not making any use of mirror neurons
    - misplaced pride

15. FILTHnFEAR

FILTHnFEAR Dread it, run from it....

Soooo much, this.

16. 80H

80H Banned

Literally getting called a djent hipster, Californ
    Conversely, spending too much time on the fretboard when you need feedback and perspective from other guitarists, lessons & videos. Gotta find that sweet spot and get up in it if ya namsayin

17. edsped

edsped SS.org Regular

Not a mistake, but a thing that people should do:

Actually applying aspects of theory to your playing in meaningful and useful ways instead of just knowing it.

18. vansinn

vansinn SS.org Regular

I might add:
    * not playing songs and riffs enough on acoustic - which will reveal lack of the feel into the music, simply because nothing will be masqueraded [like electronics/effects might do].

19. Gregory Frus

Gregory Frus Active Member

Biggest mistake:
    Mindset...buying into the lie that you need talent to play at a high level.

20. JustMac

JustMac ss not-so-regular

Redstone what's vibrato training? Is it when you bend to every note of the scale? It's effing hard with harmonic minor modes due to that big minor 3rd gap in them.