LiquiFire in the bridge?

Discussion in 'Pickups, Electronics & General Tech' started by onefingersweep, Feb 14, 2010.

1. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

Has anyone tried that? How does it sound?

2. guitar4tw

guitar4tw SS.org Regular

I haven't tried it, but I have a feeling it would get a little muddy in the low end.

3. onefingersweep

onefingersweep SS.org Regular

I have the opposite feeling since it's mainly designed for the neck and it's only a medium output pickup, it should have good clarity in the bridge with the right setup.

I'm not looking for djent sound anyway, I want something more mellow to shred on.

4. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

Sorry to bump an old thread, but has anyone tried this? I'm wondering how it would sound in a brighter guitar (e.g. maple or ash).

5. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Nope, but why not be the first. It definitely wouldn't be muddy though, as bridge position has much less lows.

6. MetalGravy

MetalGravy Making a meat suit

Yeah, I figure that it would be kind of chunky, but not muddy.

7. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Crunch Lab vs Liquifire:

They sound pretty similar.

8. guy in latvia

guy in latvia SS.org Regular

shows people how little pickups affect your guitar tone...

9. guy in latvia

sry double post.

10. Chelseadevil21

Chelseadevil21 Well-Known Member

I have it in the bridge position of my Caparison Dellinger MC Aluminum and it sounds great.

11. SirMyghin

SirMyghin The Dirt Guy Contributor

Not necessarily, it shows how similar those 2 particular pickups are in design through heavily compressed youtube audio and likely mediocre computer speakers.

12. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

:cool: thats like saying woods don't really affect your tone. I have recordings from when I used the Crunchlab in my bridge and it sounds completely different from my recordings with the BKP Aftermath. If you've never swapped your pickups out you may have that vary assumption you just stated but pickups have quite a bit to do with tone bro. :noplease:

No hard feelings we cool though. :yesway:

13. guy in latvia

Haha, dont worry, no hard feelings. Ive got lots of experience with pickups, there are pickups that obviously just dont work for a guitar and also actives sound very different to passives, but to my experience any high quality pickup sounds good with a good guitar. im not saying that a CL and an aftermath sound the same, there are slight noticable differences, but the majority of the tone comes from the actual guitar and the rig its played through, pickups are just a small part of the big picture.

14. Quitty

Quitty Hates 'mojo'

Sure enough, they're similar - but i can hear a clear difference through my Sony in-ear-with-a-busted-right-diaphragm POSs, via the on board soundcard:lol:,
    which should mean it's quite evident.

The liquifire is a tad more notched and has far more pick attack - i actually like it better.

It is strange, though - it doesn't seem bassier or lower output than the crunchlab, which only asserts my previous, uncomfortable notion that Dimarzios work very differently than my 'natural' notion of how pickups should.

15. Racerdeth

Racerdeth SS.org Regular

I use the air norton in the bridge of my strat and it does the biznitz. It's defined but not evo-ARGHMYEYES defined. It's a good option for those that want a calmer output pickup without that PAF chime/clonk.

16. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Well I was at Sonisphere all weekend so I can't hear crap at the moment. I'd love to hear a sample of all the dimarzio metal pickups done like this. Its so hard to decide on a 7 string bridge pickup.

17. Antenna

Antenna Oh God Damnit!

yeah I wish Dimarzio would revamp they're site like how Nolly recorded all those samples with the BKP pickups for that site. Hearing the exact same riff in the same mix each time lets you know what things change when you introduce only one new variable like a pickup into that equation.

Dimarzio has samples of songs that used the pickups but it doesn't give you the same experience as the BKP site. I mean I pretty much blind bought my Crunchlab 7 because it had the "Petrucci Stamp Of Approval" ...which usually will never fail you btw.

18. jymellis

jymellis Talk To DeWalt

liquifire seemed just a small bit brighter in the video. not necessarily the overall tone. but seemed to pick up the high strings better.

19. yingmin

yingmin Parker ├╝ber alles

Incidentally, a friend of mine has a Liquifire in the bridge position of one of his Caparisons (can't remember if it's one of his Horuseseses or his Dellinger), and he loves it. Really clear, but not overly bright.

20. guitarplayerone

guitarplayerone SS.org Regular

Necrobump to say I now have it in my J custom and it sounds great, though I needed to raise it all the way up to the strings and drop the neck (also a liquifire) quite a bit to get both the levels I wanted and the output I wanted.

Compared to the crunchlab in my mahogany 7, it's much less compressed, a little lower output, but super clear and can still do metal quite nicely. It suits the guitar a lot better. Reminds me of a Blaze or evo with a little more output and not much ice-pickiness. It also does the hum cancelling inner coil middle position thing a lot better than the CL. On the other hand I have the CL/liquifire in my RGD and I do prefer the extra output and little bit of extra compression in that basswood (bari) guitar.

Note I did try the CL flipped with the bar towards the bridge and IMO it did not help with the muddiness in the J custom.