Line 6 spider Valve sound

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Ibanezra, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Rick

Rick ALL HAIL DJOD Forum MVP

Those weren't too bad.

2. TheManInBlack

TheManInBlack Well-Known Member

i jammed on one..i dunno sound good but i dont see in payin that much more for it

3. LionHeaRT

LionHeaRT Vintage Metal-Head

They sound pretty good, I'd like one just for kicks around the house or at band practice when I don't feel like lugging my 5150 around.

4. Celiak

Celiak SS.org Regular

I tried one and while it isn't prefect it is a good modeling amp. The thing is they are really eazy to use and give a consistant wide range of sounds. Usefull, but they won't sway anyone that wants their tone to be perfect.

5. darren

darren Forum MVP

I tried one right when they first came out, and was pretty impressed. I wish it had MIDI control, though, or at least regular 1/4" jacks to do the channel switching so i could use an external MIDI switch box with it.

6. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

I jammed on one, it is pretty sweet but the 699 price tag for a 112 gives me a yuck feeling.

7. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

I played one for about 45 minutes using a Hell Raiser, and honestly, it sounded like shit. I know a lot of clips floating around have been pretty good, but I struggled to get a decent mid gain tone out of it. I am so glad I didn't ditch my JSX for this.

8. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

I think they sound totally decent if you sit down with it and tweak a good sound. I'd love a 1x12 combo for a bedside amp.

9. skinhead

skinhead Manager / RHLC ©

It's like a POD with a tube power amp, right?

10. FortePenance

FortePenance SS.org Regular

At first when I tried it I didn't like it because I kept my mids on max with bass and treble on 5 lol. Then when I recently tried it again at the store using the presets and only messing with presence and gain, it sounded pretty sweet. I liked the Meshuggah/Cowboys from Hell presets.

I must agree with the price tag. That shit's expensive!

11. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

The problem I have with them is that they sound just like a Spider at low volumes; the tubes don't warm them up at all.

Then by the time you get to the point of any warmth or dynamics, it's loud as fuck, in which case you might as well stick with a regular tube amp.

12. Mr. S

Mr. S tacos?

i was playing through one of the spider valve 4x12's yesterday and i was surprised at how awesome they sound they even seem to be a rather decent price too

13. Dave R

Dave R New Member

You can get an HD147 used on ebay for that. If you're going to go line 6 and throw $700 on it (and if you feel comfortable using ebay) you can usually find HD147's in that range. I've seen Vetta II's for under $800.

14. zimbloth

zimbloth Nick // Axe Palace Vendor Forum MVP

I respectfully disagree. I bought the SpiderValve HD to try out, spent hours and hours tweaking it, I could not get one semi-usable sound out of it. Sounds plastic and fake like all Line 6 amps. In no way does it sound or play like a tube amp. I personally get 100x better tones out of the Behringer GMX212 at 1/4 the cost.

15. Ryan

Ryan SS.org Regular

Meh, to each their own I guess. :shrug:

16. Jeff

Jeff Banned from Reality

+1. Just feels like a really expensive Spider III. On the other hand, if modeling is the direction one wants to take, I still think a PODxt Pro through a nice poweramp (the one I heard was through a 2:90) into a cab is pretty killer. Still modeling, yes. But warmer and more dynamic than the SV. Perhaps that's because the Mesa wasn't as neutral as the Bogner power section on the SV, and was coloring the tone more. Regardless, it definitely sounds better than the SV.

17. darren

darren Forum MVP

Somewhat related...

I was in the studio the other night and had to cut a quick guitar track to add into our final mix. The only thing readily available was a PODXT. I don't know how anyone can work with these things. It took me forever to dial in a tone that was even remotely decent-sounding, and even at that, it was really plastic and fake sounding. I thought the Spider Valve was a pretty decent-sounding amp, but a POD recorded direct just sounded like complete shit to me.

18. JPMDan

JPMDan IT'S OVER 9000!!!! Contributor

lol I'm not even wanting to buy any line 6 stuff, right now I"m looking for a cheap solidstate amp, and when I get a halfstack it's going to be tube.

Frank, it has Power amp tubes and Preamp tubes.

Jeff, I agree the JSX is 100% better.

19. Toshiro

Toshiro .... Contributor

It has 2 preamp tubes, one is a filter set-up after the modelling(sorta like how the tube works in a Valvestate), the other is the phase inverter.

I've yet to even see one of these, but I don't like Line 6's modelling tones in the first place.