Line 6 Spider Valve - 1, POD Go - 0

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Bentaycanada, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

I A/B'd my Spider Valve HD100 against my POD Go, and I honestly have to say that the SV held its ground. I also did the same with a Spider Valve 112 combo, and again the same results.

Both were going thru the Spider Valve's power section each time, and both had the same results. The POD Go (Helix) does have a great variety of amp models etc.... For many this will instantly set it apart. I get that. Plus the Helix line is still getting software updates, which is awesome.

I'm strictly talking about tone for tone. The tones on the POD Go are great, but when going into the SV power section it felt like there was that 10% missing, compared to straight into the Spider Valve. On the POD Go I used the 'preamp' models for this, as the tube power section brought it's own character that did not mesh well with the full amp models.

When I plugged back into SV I noticed that not only were the tones just as good, but they felt fuller and had more depth. Looking at it, the SV preamp section has 2 12AX7 preamp tubes, which are bypassed when going directly into the power section. As usual YMMV, but I found that the 10% was all there going directly into the SV.

This is just my experience, but definitely a surprising one at that. The head is light, and looks cool. The combo is pretty bland looking in comparison, but is only 10lbs more, 40w tube and has a V30 stock. They definitely deserve more praise than they get.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It looks like you go through the "preamp tubes" when using the "power amp in".

2C6F891B-1023-4F16-B673-830AA4C225E2.png

It looks like the actual "preamp" is the DSP and it's fed into the power section, which has tubes acting for the input stage and PI.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  3. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

No wonder people wanted a Vetta tube when this was released. I tried an SV, it sure is much better than the regular Spider and even the tube VYPYR in the same studio. But it still sounded very smooth. None of the abrasive aggression I like with full blown high gain tube amps.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  4. Bentaycanada

There goes my theory then!

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

It seems like you just really dig the XT/X3 series models. That's pretty much what all your favorite Line 6 amps are running in some form.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  6. Bentaycanada

I think when it comes to their amp modelling, it's mainly the IR's that have had the most improvement. The amp models into a power amp + cab, everything from the original POD to POD HD are very usable. Yes, the Helix is awesome, but the stigma that has been laid on the older models isn't deserved.

7. Bentaycanada

I get what you mean here. I have been comparing the tone I'm using on the SV (KSE Chuggernaut preset) as what essentially would be running a Recto / 5150 + OD808 + Noise Gate. So it does feel smoother than going straight into a full blown tube amp. I think that's another thing I like about it. Nothing extra to think about, it's just Guitar > Amp > Cab.

8. Emperoff

Emperoff Hasta la vista, Baby Contributor

I see the 212 models for around 300€ very often and I always think they are great as "powered cabs". I used one in a gig straight into the poweramp with an AMT D2 and it sounded massive.

And you always have the digital sounds of the preamp in case your pedalboard goes wrong for some reason.

Bentaycanada likes this.