Line 6 Spider V Mrk II

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Thorshammer1980, Jan 19, 2021.

1. Thorshammer1980

Thorshammer1980 SS.org Regular

I did a quick search and didn't see any threads about the Line 6 Spider V Mrk II.

I use to have a Spider 2 back in the early 2000s and remember loving it for a practice amp.

Has anyone demoed one and/or used one at all? I've watched a few videos on it and wanted to get some opinions.

I might want to get it for someone just starting out with guitar.

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Everyone shits on it because it's a Spider, but the V really is a great little practice amp. It's the same old XT series models and big pedal effects, which is a good thing, IMO.

That said, depending on what exactly you're looking for, the Boss Katana, Yamaha THR, and Peavey Vypyr are similarly priced and featured.

You really can't go wrong with either for a beginner.

Thorshammer1980 likes this.
  3. _MonSTeR_

_MonSTeR_ SS.org Regular

I’m using a Spider V mk 2 as my home amp these days.

I think it can sound as good as any other "all in one" practice amp, certainly any that I tried and the way in which the models are arranged mean it's easy to get the basic character of lots of well known amps into an existing patch very easily. I also pair it with an iPad to edit and assign patches and use the floorboard to access the different sounds at the touch of a foot switch.

I do think that there are a lot of amp models in there that I probably will never use (usually the "clean" fendery sort of stuff). I did think about going Helix and FRFR or even Kemper, but it's too much hassle for me and the Spider was the right balance of quality of sound with ease of access to everything I'd need. I particularly like the Bognor Ecstacy and Soldano SLO models and actually find that I seem to end up using them for most of my patches!

For a beginner I think it's a great amp, for someone like me who is happy with 90% of the tone for 120% of the convenience it's also spot on. If anything it's still too complicated for me but I simply ignore the stuff I don't want and make use of the stuff I do. It really does work best with the floorboard though.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021