Line 6 powercab 112+ experience?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by budda, Dec 9, 2019.

1. budda

budda Do not criticize as this Contributor

I just bought a helix LT and the seller has one of these he's willing to part with for a good price. Barely left his house, still has the label on the top haha.

I'm considering the headrush 112 (moreso, 2 of them) but the price on this one has me considering.

Currently not in a band or gigging, but I'm slowly working on starting up something low and slow with some friends. Primarily home use at this point.

Thanks all :yesway:

2. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

I have a power cab and am running an eleven rack in to it. Is it the most amazing thing ever ? no, it is pretty solid for the price and even better of a deal if you can pick one up that is in good shape. If i had to do it again i'd probably spring for the + version because the built in speaker emulations aren't super good IMO, but the plus version lets you use your own impulse responses and that is pretty damn cool. It does get loud, and isn't very heavy which makes it great at doing what it is intended to do.

I had the eleven rack for a while and never really used it until i got the power cab. I like the setup enough that i am considering selling most of my other heads. I could see upgrading to a helix or one of the floor unit AxFx and still use the power cab. It could do a show or gig but really it is a monitor for you to hear what sort of sound is going to the PA.

I think with you having the helix already it would be prefect because the helix can control the cab as well.

budda likes this.
  3. budda

The seller said he wished the helix could control it, but wasn't sure if that was a new feature of the latest FW. I'll check the video out after work.

4. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Why not just use a used SS cleans amp --- keyboard, PA, bass combo with a speaker that handles highs well...?

5. budda

Because the system is optimized for FRFR and there's products designed specifically for it :yesway:.

6. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Solid 1x12 and pairs really well with the Helix. For the price, it was a better deal for me to go with a powered wedge. Relatively similar output volume (my ZLX12P feels a little louder in the room) but a much higher price. I got two brand new wedges for the price of one PC112+. For home jamming, you'll probably dig it because it does have a very guitar cab-like feel to it, I just didn't feel like it would survive volume-wise outside the rehearsal room. I was interested in the 2x12 they just put out till I saw the price tag.

7. jarledge

jarledge SS.org Regular

yeah i have tired using keyboard amps, and a couple of different powered pa speakers with no luck on having a tone that was decent. Things have come a long way from when i first tried all that but the power cab is designed specifically for this situation.

IRs have also come a long way in helping get a decent tone when running in to a full range speaker setup so I suppose you could look at other products that let you load your IRs in to but as an all around solution, the power cab is a good choice. There are other products out there, and you could go in to the FX loop of an amp. You would probably be happy with the results but that means you still have an amp, or head and cab without the IR capabilities.

budda likes this.
  8. Adieu

Adieu SS.org Regular

Oh, the IRs are on the powered cabinet side of that setup?

9. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

If the LT has the L6 Link jack you can change setting with each patch, what you can't do is change what IRs are loaded into the PC+.

10. budda

Good to know! He included the L6 cable.

11. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

since it is your friend can you borrow it for a few days?

12. jsmalleus

jsmalleus SS.org Regular

The PC+ is pretty sweet if you use IRs (you can load them into the cab with the + or just load it in your patch), I found one on local CL for pretty cheap and wanted to see if it would be viable to replace my tube power amp & 2x12 cab setup. I found myself having the same issue with the stock speaker sims as I did with the L6 cabs with the helix and the old Pod HD Pro, they just had this whirry garbage frequency you couldn't notch out without neutering the tone a bit or putting extra EQ's on it. With the right IRs though, that's gone and it sounded great. Gets really loud but I think I'd want the 2x12 if I were using it live just so the butt is all there for venues where we don't get mic'd.

If I could find a good deal on the 2x12, I wouldn't hesitate to switch my rig up, but for now I'm going to keep using the tube power amp and 2x12. If you're not playing out though and it's a good price I'd say scoop it up, it's great with the helix and would work for pretty much anything except that loud live music with no guits to PA scenario. Even that it could work once you crank it up a bit, it just might not have as much oomph as you'd like with the one speaker.

budda likes this.
  13. budda

Kijiji deal, so unfortunately that's a no go. I could rent one from the local distributor though.

@jsmalleus thanks for your thoughts. I do plan to gig again and Im hoping to reduce weight. I hauled my biamp rig and the other biamp rig, my back has earned the break :lol:. Because of that though, I am used to pushing a lot of stage volume through at least 4 speakers.

One venue in town has a great cab backline and the other main one does mic to PA. I would be hesitant to run a FOH chain since Im new to it.

I dont really plan to buy any IR packs. I was surprised to see some ownhammer cabs, as the seller said he didnt buy anything (guess he did).

I dont really want to run LT-power amp-cab (though power amp + cab was the first idea) mostly for consolidation reasons.

The 2x headrush setup still sounds fun. I have enough surplus gear that I could do power amp + 212 cab if I wanted to as well. Too many options :lol:

14. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Of all the shootout videos of these class of things that I've watched, the Line 6 one sounded good if not better than most of the other ones to my ears.

Budda, you're one of the most levelheaded gearhounds on this site... I suggest you take your own advice.

15. budda

The 2x Headrush? I'm not sure what the advice is :lol:

wakjob likes this.
  16. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Looks like Dustin from Thrice uses one on stage so must be decent. I may grab the non plus version at some point unless I can find a deal, since you can turn off the speaker simulations and I already have the IRs loaded on my Helix.

budda likes this.
  17. MASS DEFECT

MASS DEFECT SS.ORG Infiltrator

In my experience the 212 is the better option but the 112+ is an awesome deal. It is not as beamy as the others I have tried from Matrix or Atomic. Can do that "amp in a room" sound. And can be loud in a small gig. The other one I liked was the Matrix Fr212. Those just fill up the room.

budda likes this.
  18. budda

I wonder what his stage volume is - I've only seen that band once, years ago. But I suspect I'd be going for similar tones. His move to the Helix was mentioned at practice :lol:.

19. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Yeah I'm curious as well I have seen Thrice several times, most of those times they were doing the mesa 2x12 and 4x12 stack. one time they both were using vintage Marshall 8x10 cabinets. Then they had like Vox AC30 Combos but always with a mesa 4x12 kicking around, haven't seen them in like wow 8 years I guess it has been, sad now lol.

20. spudmunkey

spudmunkey SS.org Regular

Definitely worth it if you play live and bump into the DSP limits of the helix once you factor in IRs, because you can offload those IRs to the cab.
    One of the advantages of the higher-end PowerCab is that you can off-load the IRs onto the cabinet from, say, your Helix, so free up some of that juicy DSP on the Helix itself.

budda likes this.