Line 6 POD HD Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Variant, Sep 30, 2010.

1. bioburden

bioburden Member

I'm hoping that my Victory Kraken preamp arrives soon, I plan on using it with the Pod HD500x (FX loop) and into a Magnum 44 poweramp and Marshall 4x12. I've no doubt that it will sound killer.

Bentaycanada likes this.
  2. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

Minus the Line 6, I’m going to try out the same thing.

L6 G30 > Victory Kraken preamp > L6 HX Stomp > 44 Magnum:)

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

How do y'all find the tone suck is when in the 4CM? Im thinking about getting an HD500X instead of spending all the dosh on a Helix LT again.

4. bioburden

bioburden Member

Maybe try the Mooer Radar.

5. bioburden

bioburden Member

I've no idea, will see when the Kraken preamp arrives

6. bioburden

bioburden Member

Seems like a killer setup alright, the only thing I wish the Kraken preamp had was midi channel switching, then I could use my Pod HD500x to control everything. I may eventually look into getting a midi channel switcher, it's just an added expense I don't fancy right away.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Bentaycanada likes this.
  7. HeHasTheJazzHands

That would help a lot. The HD would hold me over until I got a Helix down the road.

And FWIW, when I had my HD500, impulses were a huuuuuge improvement.

8. bioburden

bioburden Member

You mean disabling the cabs and running it into a VST IR loader/Mooer Radar? That's not an issue for me, as I'm going into a poweramp and cab, but wooul definitely go into a Mooer Radar if going to a PA (I'd probably still go into a poweramp and cab for on stage volume).

9. HeHasTheJazzHands

Sorry was talking about the dude above asking about impulses.

10. Carl Kolchak

Carl Kolchak SS.org Regular

All things considered, I think I'd much prefer buying a used HD500X for $350, and saving the other $650 you'd have to fork over for a Helix LT and put it towards a new guitar. In fact, that's exactly what I just did the other day.

11. HeHasTheJazzHands

I really want another LT because I honetly really loved it. I just needed to sell it to put the money towards important things.

The LT was really great for the 4CM. Could get crazy with the FX and it was totally transparent. Just worried the HD500X isn't as transparent.

12. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Balancing the I/O to keep tone suck to a minimum was a PITA when I had the HD500X. Even with everything leveled there seemed to be some "beef" missing in that configuration for me (with an old Carvin X100 head). I've since gone full-digital, but I know from first-hand experience the Helix is much, much more flexible, and the FX sound better.

13. HeHasTheJazzHands

Yeah, like I said I loved the helix. I'm still thinking about getting an HD500X in the future, but we'll see. May end upjust skipping that and getting a used Helix LT instead.

And FWIW, the Helix was the *only* modeler I tried that did a convincing Roland JC120. :lol: The POD HD500 struggled, and I felt the AX8 did as well. But the JC120 on the Helix + the '70s Chorus was spot on.

14. Djentlover666

Djentlover666 Good case of the djents

Hello all, I never used anything like a hd500 or hd500x but I want to get a hd500x. Can I use this with any amp? I saw one on Ebay used, and the description says it only works with a line 6 amp. I want to use this with my 7, 8, and 9 string guitars with a precision drive with a joyo zombie head and a 1x12 with a v30. The head has a send and return fx loop. I was thinking of using it in front of the amp. Is this ideal or should I use the 4 cable method? And why?

15. Jarmake

Jarmake Frost Giant

It does work with any amp, but you can use it as a control board with line6 amps, I think? I think you should try it in front of your amp and the 4 cable method too, just to see which suits you best.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  16. Metropolis

Metropolis SS.org Regular

4-cable because then you can set modulation effects where you want in the signal chain, usually between preamp and effects loop, and you can set loop in the Pod's signal chain where you want. I would even use the Pod as a digital preamp into effects loop return. With full amp models or just pre versions depending what is sounding better with your setup.

Djentlover666 likes this.
  17. Djentlover666

Thank you both! Could I just use it in front of the amp for a little while? Would it sound bad? Would that be the same as getting a power amp pedal and running it through a p.a.?

18. Centrix

Centrix SS.org Regular

Just picked up my HD500X back up for regular bedroom practicing.

Any suggestion for patch setlists that I can download? Just a bunch of cool tones for day-to-day practice, more metal oriented if possible.

Thanks in advance guys.

19. Djentlover666

Highly recommend watching this! I loved the treadplate with the 4x12 xxl but hated how it kinda sounded like there was a blanket on my speaker and this cleared it right up. Except I'm using a precision drive and I only use 1 gate after the amp and I dont use the delay he used. It sounds awesome with my 8 string. Still have to find my tone for my 9 string. I'm also using it with an amp and a cab. But I'm only using the power section of my amp.

20. Santuzzo

Santuzzo SS.org Regular

I have had a POD HD500 for many years now, and I've thought about upgrading to a Helix.
    However, I do have to say that I actually always liked the tones I got out of my HD500 and I have never felt like I needed something "better" ....
    I have not had a chance to try a Helix yet, but I'm sure some of you have tried one? If so, did that make you want to upgrade from a POD HD to a Helix, or do you still stick with the POD?