Line 6 POD HD Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Variant, Sep 30, 2010.

1. TheRileyOBrien

TheRileyOBrien SS.org Regular

Your bass has passive pickups and no internal preamp so it will not come close to the output he is getting.

2. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Hey man! Thanks for trying out the patch. And yeah, there's a difference between active/passive pickups and different preamps in basses. I think even more-so than in guitars.

Mine requires 18 volts of power from 2 batteries, so that's even more than most active basses that require 9V to power the pre-amp. I really had to dial back my own basses' trimpot in order to keep the signal clean.

I'm still learning how to dial in bass tones, and that was kinda' my first try. Obviously there's a lot you can do/try, like switching out cabs etc, so I'll keep working on different patches overtime.

Other than that I really don't have much knowledge about bass output, so can't really help you there mate. <3 :wavey:

3. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

It's possible to run two separate effect chains, right?

I was gonna recommend running two separate amps; one set to clean with a pretty extreme mid scoop, and a crungh/gainy amp (possibly something Marshall-esque) with the lows and highs rolled off and with a good bit of midrange. Nothing too extreme, but something to give you a good bit of bite. If it's possible, run a compressor only in front of the clean amp.

EDIT: I just watched the video. Apparently you did this. :lol:

4. prozak

prozak Pathfinder

Sir (or kid, don't know), this is just awesome.

5. Chi

Chi Niverlare

Haha, yeah that's sort of what I did! I used the Blackface and an Orange (Tweed) model for now. I haven't tried other higher-gain models for the crunchy channel yet, will see how this turns out!

6. eastguitar

eastguitar SS.org Regular

7. that short guy

that short guy SS.org Regular

lol I'm 26 so sir is completely fine. but I'm glad you like it. I've decided I'm going to also turn this into an actual song after I'm through with the PUP comparison

8. that short guy

I like it. tone is close to the original songs but still has enough personality to be your own.

9. prozak

prozak Pathfinder

Please don't mind, I'm 29 but there are so many kids around here. Well done!

10. prozak

prozak Pathfinder

Very impressive (y)

11. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

The problem with this argument is that it assumes that customers won't be able to understand or use impulses if they are introduced to the concept. It doesn't matter who USES impulses, you should consider how many WOULD use them. It's like I told Dunlop about some of my pick ideas at NAMM: If you build it, they will come!

People usually don't know about things that isn't stock, and some would say that the other modelers on the market that CAN take impulses are better because of it, not knowing they can do it themselves in their DAW.

If the Pod HD could import impulses, and Line6 could sell their own downloadable cabinet impulses, people would buy them. No question. good impulses aren't hard to make or to come by either, so it wouldn't be such a huge investment if your hardware could accomodate that.

Of course, if the HD series simply CAN'T take impulses for whatever reason, that's another matter entirely. I think Line6 should sell cabinet models just like they now sell amp models too, at the very least.

12. eastguitar

Thanks Friend!!! What do you think needs to be guitar tone as the original? I understand it's the guitar gear, but in terms of eq.
    The guitar tone is worked exclusively with the POD HD Pro, without external IR.

13. eastguitar

Thanks friend!!!

14. that short guy

Don't mind at all my friend.

I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. I like the fact that it's has a "you" tone so to speak. I like the Periphery tone but I hate when someone else tries to get the exact tone. I think the tone is great is great.

15. eastguitar

ok thanks

16. VBCheeseGrater

VBCheeseGrater not quite a shredder

I went direct at tonight's gig because I really need to bias my power amp and i'm still waiting for the bias probe in the mail. I still used a single 1x12 with my mesa 50/50 for stage volume (vs my usual 3 1x12's). I used my behringer ultra DI box for the cab sim, so one side of pod output went to tube power amp + guitar cab for stage volume, and the other side of pod out went to DI box, all from same no-cab patches. Worked great! At least on stage, I was getting really clear guitar tones.

So now i'm contemplating going direct all the time, but with the single 1x12 being pushed by the power amp to keep the amp feel going. Both together just sounds great.

17. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

Absoultely well said!!!!!.. Perfect response and is 100% the case!!

18. prozak

prozak Pathfinder

Line6 crew knows very well what to do. They will include an impulse loader if their selling goes down, simple as that.

19. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

I talked to Line6 at NAMM about it, and they said they were very much aware of the demand!

20. prozak

prozak Pathfinder

Sorry if bothering you, but which patch exactly did you use in "Something is coming"? Can you repost it, sounds great with an 8 string, I'd like to test it with my 6 string guitar equiped with DiMarzio X2N, and currently I'm looking for an 8 string axe :)