Line 6 POD HD Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Variant, Sep 30, 2010.

1. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

I just got a nice new digital soldering station...but i still dont feel ok with doing that. Seems too risky of a job to do. But I did see this:

That looks like the perfect mod, but I do find it wierd that both of those switches went at the same time.

2. Allealex

Allealex SS.org Regular

3. leechmasterargentina

leechmasterargentina Leandro

Looks like a great mod. Anything better than those microswitches is worth it. I just don't step it hard. That did work in my previous Korg AX3000G (lasted 4 years without a problem and sold it without having replaced any microswitch).

If you think it's too risky, take it to an electronic repair shop, or even Line 6.

4. jmeezle

jmeezle SS.org Regular

Thanks! I didn't use the Pod for bass but I almost did. I have an awesome patch that I've yet to try. I split the bass into two channels using Amplitube + compression + some eq for the fatness, the second channel uses Amplitube + eq + Logic 9's amp designer for the grit.

Thanks for listening!

5. Stijnson

Stijnson SS.org Regular

Just wanted to say hi to the thread! Recently joined the POD HD family, i received my hd500 yesterday and couldn't be happier. Some regulars in this thread have already helped me out alot with info and guides (Meambobbo) so thanks for that. The unit sounds really good, and i'll demo some tones soon!

6. ShadowFactoryX

ShadowFactoryX OMNIHILITY

I guess Ill open a support ticket to L6 and see what they say.

7. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

My POD HD500 is up for sale. It is up in the "Classifieds" section on here.

Time to upgrade. Shoot me an offer.

8. SjPedro

SjPedro SS.org Regular

hey guys I made a preset for the Razor's Edge part of Octavarium by Dream Theater

It's for HD500X but you can probably pull it off on the HD500

try it out!
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3y90160x61phmm6/Razor%27s%20Edge.5xe

P.s- Constructive criticism would really help! OR just edit the effects and upload your patch! ;)

9. teamSKDM

teamSKDM SS.org Regular

this thread is so long, i dont see why its not stickied. anyways, I have a question. Im a pod x3/xt fan because i LOVE the big bottom amp so much, and was so bummed in the HD series removing it. But ive become to look into depth at some other amps on the HD series i might like, and I like the soldano sim. seems to be great for rhythm and leads, much like the big bottom was for me. for fans of both, and with experience with both, how do you feel about hd soldano vs x3 big bottom? also, do the Hd series feel and sound more organic than the xt/x3 series, or would you say that theyre all the same feel through and through?
    Would it be worth selling my podxt which i use for my live sound with big bottom, to buy an hd300 for live sound?

10. Leuchty

Leuchty Previously CYBERSYN

^ I wouldnt get the 300.

I would save for either the 500 or Pro. If you're happy with the XT why rush into the bottom model? The 300 is pretty limited.

11. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

Yes, don't waste your time with the hd300. You'll just end up selling it.

You guys will all be happy to know that it looks like I won't be selling my hd500. Be aide I might be getting a laney irt-studio and using the HD for effects and such haha

12. Wings of Obsidian

Wings of Obsidian Banned

Hey man, read my post right above ya... ;)

13. AaronGraves

AaronGraves SS.org Regular

I was wondering if any of you HD Pro users out there have problems with your shortboard mkii. Mine doesn't want to work anymore. I tried calibrating it, and when I press D to exit, the LCD screen just freezes on "check value 127". Have any of you guys had problems like this?

14. surfthealien

surfthealien SS.org Regular

15. CD1221

CD1221 SS.org Regular

How do you guys record using the HD500 with external cab IR's - bypass the cab simulation? Is it even possible?

16. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

The Treadplate amp boosted by the Screamer is basically the Big Bottom on steroids. Bias on full, sag all the way down, Master on about 40%.

17. RickyCigs

RickyCigs Banned

Go to control panel, open line6 audio-midi devices. Turn hardware monitoring down. Turn cab off on pod.

18. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

The HD 300/400 are a little crippled in your ability to shape the tone before you hit the amp model and EQ'ing. The EQ's, Compressors, and Distortion effects are all lumped into the same slot, and you can only use one effect from this slot per patch. So you can't use Distortion (boost pedal) + EQ or compressor. Or if you use comp/distortion, you can't post EQ your tone.

Additionally, the HD's EQ effects aren't really all-in-one effects. You will likely need to use multiple to get a good post-EQ. Considering the wide range of frequency responses from the cab/mic simulation, post-EQ is often essential.

That said, you can get great deals on the HD 500 now that the 500 X is out. The 500 X only adds a bit more DSP, brighter (higher contrast) screen, and sturdier, more colorful footswitches.

As for the Big Bottom vs HD, the HD has the Uber, Treadplate (Dual Rectifier), and F-ball (ENGL Fireball) models. They all sound very good IMO. When properly boosted or pre-EQ'ed, they can get very tight, yet thick and ballsy sounds like the Big Bottom. I always thought the Big Bottom sounded like a 5150 with a bass boost. I find the Uber can nail the 5150 tone if you use a high-pass to reduce the muddiness.

The HD smokes the X3 in terms of organic, natural tone. If you check my soundcloud page (meambobbo), I have a comparison clip for high-gain tones. It's a night and day difference IMO. Of course, like any modeler, you can cause it to sound pretty bad and artificial. Out the box, it's not exactly gig-ready. I wrote a whole guide (check my signature) to help people dial in high gain tones.

19. will_shred

will_shred Wannabe audio engineer

Has anyone managed to get a kind of electric wizard like patch? I don't think the POD could really reproduce that kind of low end, but I figured it was worth asking.

20. jmeezle

jmeezle SS.org Regular

https://soundcloud.com/jm2484/feared-forever-old-jm-mix

I reamped with my HD500, mixed and mastered this Ola/Feared track.

I used bobbo's periphery patch... this is basically the same recording template that I use for my band, I was curious to hear how Ola's DI tracks sounded in it.

What do you guys think?