Line 6 POD HD Thread

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Variant, Sep 30, 2010.

1. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

I ended up preferring the SLO crunch myself, for leads stuff.

2. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

I would use bridge pickup, a Pitch Glide with a fixed .1 pitch setting for a slight detune effect (play with mix to get it right), and pick as close to the bridge as possible. Another thing you can do, although probably not on the fly is to wrap the very end of your strings in aluminum foil or loosely hold a metal slide against them. I wouldn't use any amp model, cab, etc. You want the least amount of compression possible to preserve a sharp attack. Maybe just EQ to get the frequency spectrum right.

3. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

I briefly demo'd that and the clean. Need to get more into it tonight. I did find the clean was all I could ask for. responds well to pick attack - can get 100% clean but also push to breakup without exhibiting the nastier crossover distortion of the fenders.

4. MobiusR

MobiusR Thall, that is all

Do you think the clean is better than a BF Double?

5. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

what does "better" mean? hehe - I love a fat, spankin' Fender clean tone. But i also want a clean with a tiny bit of purr, that doesn't have the more crackly, vintage breakup of the Fender. So for the purring breakup and more glassy pure clean, I'd probably go SLO, but for a more fat, funky, vintage clean I'd go Fender - twin or deluxe reverb - not sure. but with the Fenders, I do like to use the Fender 2x12 regardless of which model I use. not sure about cabs yet with the SLO. PhD is always a good option, as well as the Fenders, or maybe even a 4x12.

6. ArrowHead

ArrowHead SS.org Regular

Sorry man, that $$ is set aside for when you put some original tunes up here for us.

7. legolas151

legolas151 Member

Hey,

I did the new update and suddenly my HD 500 won't turn on anymore - the only thing that appears on screen is the Line 6 logo.

Anyone has had the same problems? Anyone knows what might the problem be?

Thanks

8. MF_Kitten

MF_Kitten Set up us the bomb

You actually HAVE to reset your unit before updating. Back up your tones first! Hold the "left" button while turning it on.

9. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

it's discussed on the previous page.

Use Line 6 Monkey and go from top to bottom on the main screen

1. Drivers
    2. HD500
    3. HD500 edit

I followed this last night with no problems.

10. legolas151

legolas151 Member

I did exactly that.. I'm reseting it right now

11. legolas151

legolas151 Member

it's working - and better than ever... only downside is that I lost all my patches.

Time for a new start then!

Thanks for the repplies

12. dantel666

dantel666 SS.org Regular

The Epic model is pretty awesome so far. Can't wait to test out the other ones.

13. ThePhilosopher

ThePhilosopher Reason User

Update went smoothly - too bad I'll have to wait until this weekend to play with all the new amp models.

14. abandonist

abandonist Banned

I'm asking a fool's question. Is there a way to use this into a regular amplifier? Or is it dedicated to computer use/recording only?

I realize my amp will color the tones produced somewhat, but these are interesting to me if I can essentially use it as a stomp box.

15. japs5607

japs5607 SS.org Regular

Yes, using the 4 cable method, Google is your friend

16. fps

fps Kit

Lots of ways to use it with a regular amplifier, either into the front, into the return on the FX loop, which bypasses the preamp of the amp, or the four cable method as someone else mentioned. I'm doing well just going into the return of the FX loop, that's what I do when I play live or practice with the boys.

17. flv75

flv75 SS.org Regular

Do you know if there are new presets with the new update or remain the old setlists ?

18. xCaptainx

xCaptainx Dr Djodson

19. ScatteredDimension

ScatteredDimension Sixstring Regular

I have a problem. I'm using guitar impulse through Pod HD bean in Reaper and the playing comes with a little delay from my speakers (like half a second) and it's makes recording pretty much impossible with the impulse... I can of course track with just the disabled amp sound and add the impulse afterwards, but it sounds like shit and I'd like to record with the tone from the impulse.

Thx in advance and sorry if this problem has been covered here before.

20. meambobbo

meambobbo SS.org Regular

it's been debated places about the bandwidth of USB vs. Firewire interfaces. I don't know how much computer architecture/processor speed factors in as well. But with my M-Audio Firewire Solo interface, my latency, via SPDIF, is 3 ms. It's not noticeable. A half second is 500 ms.

I believe you can set your buffer size for your interface on your ASIO driver's control panel. Try lowering your buffer. The lower you go, the less latency you will have, but the more exposed you are to pops and clicks and dropouts.

The other option is to turn your patch into a dual amp patch and use identical settings in each channel, but use cab/mic sims in one channel and "no cab" in the other. Place the FX Loop last in the chain before the mixer for the channel with "no cab" and use the FX Loop send to send the signal to your DAW. Then mute that channel in the Pod's mixer. The Pod's outputs will now carry a signal with the Pod's cab/mic sims, which you can monitor via headphones. Or also send them to your DAW but record them, just monitor them.

If you are using the Pod as your interface or otherwise can't run the FX Loop send to your DAW, you could do the same thing as above, but pan each channel hard left/right in the mixer. Set up mono tracks in your DAW to capture each and only monitor the one with cab/mic sim from the Pod, but record the other.

It's not exactly what you want, but it's similar.