Line 6 Pod Go vs HX Stomp For Home Recording/Jamming?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by oakentower, Nov 18, 2021.

1. oakentower

oakentower SS.org Regular

Living in an apartment limits my time to plug into my tube amp and actually play/write/record. I'm super inexperienced with digital gear and want something that's simple to use and sounds great for home jamming and recording. A great sounding high gain amp with delay and lush cleans with reverb is sufficient for my needs in terms of what I need running at the same time. A few basic questions for y'all - Can you use the POD Go as an audio interface like you can with the HX Stomp? Does the POD Go sound as good as the HX Stomp with its amp models and effects? Besides the ability to run more effects at the same time what is the disadvantage to the POD Go compared to the HX Stomp? Thanks for any input, guidence and advice on this. It's a big investment for me and I don't want to make the wrong choice!

2. IwantTacos

IwantTacos SS.org Regular

the pod go is so gimped you might as well just use native.

get at least the stomp.

ATRguitar91 and oakentower like this.
  3. CanserDYI

CanserDYI 5150 KVLT

Stomp pisses all over Pod GO in its sleep.

Iron1, ATRguitar91 and oakentower like this.
  4. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Same algorithms, but you're limited in the order and usage of the effects. On HX Stomp you have 8 blocks, and a parallel routing option. POD Go, on the other hand, has some pre-determined blocks and it's just not as flexible as a result.

POD Go is also not part of Helix, so it's on a different update schedule and won't get the same features in the future.

Imo, one of the best tricks, for headphones especially, is to use 2 similar sounding IRs in stereo, it's the best option by far for getting a stereo widening effect. You can't do that on POD Go.

All in all, POD Go is a viable choice for some situations (if you're aware and you're okay with its limitations, and the lower price and extra footswitches plus the expression pedal are a significant consideration). Otherwise, Stomp is the better choice.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2021
    oakentower likes this.
  5. oakentower

Stomp it is! Thanks dudes

6. Tree

Tree -________-

You made the right choice. The Go is really just for people that want that legacy style floorboard/all-in-one package. Or for those that really don't care for routing their FX and getting creative.

The price difference just doesn't seem worth it any way you spin it.

oakentower and CanserDYI like this.
  7. Jeffrey Bain

Jeffrey Bain SS.org Regular

I'm very happy with my pod go TBH, but the tone library for helix is a lot greater (downloadable tones, etc). When I upgrade, it'll be either to fractal or a full blown helix unit. But at any rate, I like it quite a bit, but I also don't use any pedals and use it really for just jamming with some buddies at this point and it does that very well.

maggotspawn and oakentower like this.
  8. ATRguitar91

ATRguitar91 SS.org Regular

I'll echo everyone else: even if parallel routing and flexible signal paths aren't your thing, the improved upgrade cycle with the Stomp is worth the slight extra cost to me.

oakentower likes this.
  9. Jeffrey Bain

Gotta stay off this thread before I sell off my podgo to get a HX stomp LMAO

oakentower and ATRguitar91 like this.
  10. oakentower

Ordered a Stomp XL! I got an industry deal and the regular Stomp wasn't in stock. Beyond stoked to get it and put it through its paces, thanks again for the help on this dudes!

11. Iron1

Iron1 Old School Blacksmith

I went from an HD550x to a Stomp and it was like, a next generation leap in ability, tone, etc. Helix > Pod all day, every day.

oakentower likes this.
  12. Jeffrey Bain

Not shitting on the HD550x but I think the Pod Go is a step up in tones as well; you get slightly weaker DSP wise helix tones AFAIK, not your traditional pod tones.

13. CanserDYI

CanserDYI 5150 KVLT

I don't think anyone is really saying the POD go isn't a good product, it just doesnt really make sense in Line6's line up if a helix stomp is around the same price. POD go's are great pieces of gear, no question about it, just sits in a weird market spot.

I CAN see getting a PODGo over a stomp if Wah/Pitch shifting with your feet is a must, or you're looking for an all in one solution with a few standard tones and don't need a huge multiple delays into cavernous reverbs, etc.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  14. Tree

Tree -________-

Do tell more of this... "industry deal"

:lol:

15. oakentower

HAHA I'm a sales rep/artist relations guy for an acoustic amplification company

Last edited: Nov 19, 2021
    Iron1, Tree and budda like this.
  16. CanserDYI

CanserDYI 5150 KVLT

@sleewell @ArtDecade @Guitarjon

I've tagged you three here as I didnt want to make a separate thread, but I know you three are helix users, have you guys noticed a huge noise when plugging your helix in via USB while in 4cable method or direct into your powercab? It almost sounds like I'm using the most noisiest single coil pickups until I unplug the USB then absolute quiet lovliness. I know its most likely extraneous noise from my PC, wondering if ya'll had any experience with it.

17. Jeffrey Bain

Oh no I get it I'm just saying I think the PODgo would likely have been a big upgrade from the HD550x as well.

18. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands SS.org Regular

There was that 2-block advantage the POD GO had about a year ago. But then then HX 3.0 gave the Stomp 2 extra blocks giving it a total of 10, making it on par with the Stomp... And even better because you can freely use those blocks however you want as long as their within the DSP limit. Sure the POD GO has the built in expression pedal and a couple of extra buttons, but the Stomp has MIDI I/O for future expansion.

19. nickgray

nickgray SS.org Regular

Nope, it jumped to 8 blocks, up from 6. Just in case, there's also a "free" noise gate in the input section that doesn't eat up a DSP block.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  20. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Miyagi-Fang Karate

I haven't done the 4-cable method, but I have never had noise issues when using the powercab while the USB was in and engaged. That said, when I do have all of that running at the same time, all the power is connected via the same power strip. Is it possible you are getting some noise because something is plugged in elsewhere and you are getting grounding issues?

CanserDYI likes this.