Line 6 m9 vs boss me 70

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by Detested, Mar 14, 2020.

1. Detested

Detested SS.org Regular

Hey guys this my 1st venture into muti effects units, mainly a pedal guy,but I'm wanting to get my Peavey red line bandit into the rotation,wanting to stay about $175 used,anybody have experience with these 2 units,just looking to experiment new tones and maybe peak my interest multi's,looking for thrash and blues tones.which has the smoother tones?any other unit suggestions? Thanks

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Are you just looking for effects or do you want amp modeling as well?

In that budget, for effects only I'd probably say a Line 6 M series (in addition to the M9, I've seen M13s for under $200), or one of those Fly Rig mini boards from Tech21. The Boss ME series stuff isn't bad, especially recent generations. You could probably grab an ME80 for your budget. If you're used to Boss pedals they'll be pretty familiar up front.

If you want some modeling as well, get the newest POD board you can find in budget. Older stuff like XT Live or X3 Live units should be found for around $150. More recent HD stuff can be found under $200 as well, but for the 300/400 tier, which are just fine.

Older Boss GT series is worth looking at as well. They're more feature packed than the ME series, and old GT-1 and GT-10 units come up regularly for your budget.

Basically there are tons of great things in budget, it's more about what you want out of it. If you rather turn knobs than tweak menus, Tech21 or Boss ME, if you want more fine tuning a POD or Boss GT.

AkiraSpectrum, gabito and budda like this.
  3. Detested

Detested SS.org Regular

Thanks for the response, right now I'm leaning towards the m9,just wanting effects to mess with but I can't seem to find if the m9 will hold patches along with it being a 3 pedal board.I will also look into the gt series.Im just hoping this doesn't lead to a Kemper ect... can't afford it but I would probably find a way.ha

4. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I used an M9 as a catch-all in my main rig for a few years and it was solid. I've never compared it to any of the Boss units, but I think it would fit the bill very well for you.

You might also check out the TC Electronic Nova System. You may have to be patient to find one for $175, but the effects quality of the Nova/G series is very good.

5. Detested

Detested SS.org Regular

Have a gt-8 on the way mainly because of the price $119 from g.c.,after a $50 gift card from Xmas and I couldn't pass that up,been reading a lot of love and hate with this unit and seeming a big learning curve but looking forward to it making me play more, don't practice as much as I should but new gear always gets me going, anybody paired this with a Peavey 5150? any tips on the gt-8? Thanks again

6. feilong29

feilong29 SS.org Regular

I've used the BOSS ME-20 and ME-70 and they are great, but if you aren't impressed with the GT-8, you would be doing yourself a great service by investing in a Line 6 POD HD. Back to the GT-8/BOSS ME line, look up Rob Marcello and his boss demos. He makes them suckers sing beautifully!

7. Detested

Detested SS.org Regular

I'll have check Marcello out,been watching the Mike cassman tutorials and makes it more understandable.im pretty happy with it so far,have a good early evh tone with the 5150 and a touch of phaser thru a bandit 1 12 but there's still a lot of shit to go thru,still haven't found a srv tone,maybe too much time smelling the roses along the way.