Line 6 hx stomp

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by tuttermuts, Oct 4, 2018.

1. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

Oh yeah, I forgot they have a whole processor dedicated to just amp models.

2. sunnyd88

sunnyd88 SS.org Regular

I feel like only six blocks for amps, cabs, effects etc is not enough, especially for $600. At least 12 blocks would make sense so that I can run two amp models and cabs at once. Oh and the screen is too damn tiny.

3. Bentaycanada

Bentaycanada SS.org Regular

The 6 blocks are tight, but definitely doable. I run into a power amp / cab, so that’s one less block I need live.

Noise gate > TS > Amp model > EQ > Reverb > Delay (maybe)

In this case, I guess I’m lucky I don’t use a lot of fx.

Maybe the LT for your needs?

4. sunnyd88

sunnyd88 SS.org Regular

True! The HX stomp is still at a attractive pricepoint and the portability is pretty crazy! I'll be traveling in a few months so the HX stomp is still tempting but maybe if I can find a good deal on a LT it might suit me better!

5. Bentaycanada

It’s also worth remembering the Helix has an input gate, so the noise gate block isn’t needed in most cases.

The EQ after the amp model is more for high/lowpass filters, but again, I can easily live without them.

The TS boost out front is another I could likely work around, if needed. I do find that when I’m forced to not rely on a boost, then I can find better tone from the amp model in use.

For me, the Archetype amp model is worth for asking price alone!

AkiraSpectrum, mikah912 and sunnyd88 like this.
  6. sunnyd88

sunnyd88 SS.org Regular

Haha I didn't know that! Even the HX stomp has an input gate? Anyways, my ideal HX stomp would have been this + 12 blocks lol ideal helix stomp.jpg

Backsnack, damico529 and Bentaycanada like this.
  7. Bentaycanada

Yes, the HX Stomp has the input gate!

8. Sogradde

Sogradde SS.org Regular

Does that mean the Helix makes better use of the DSPs or do the Axe amp models require more resources? Because I can run at least(?) two amps per DSP/line on any Helix model but I can't run two amps on the AX8.

9. mnemonic

mnemonic Custom User Title

I agre with this. back when I got my axe FX II, I was one of many that was hesitant, since I’m not a big effects user. I use gate > boost > amp, and that’s about it. It’s only recently I’ve started using some light delay and reverb, and even then, all my patches are 6 blocks or less.

This looks like it’s marketed toward people like me in that regard. I’ve kind of wanted a helix LT for a while just for fun, and I figured I might pick one up used when I find one for the right price, but this looks like it will be even more suitable for me.

People have been asking cliff for a stripped down amps-only axe FX for a long time, and it looks like at least line 6 have given it a shot. Now people who just want a simple signal chain can still get the premium sound, but in a cheaper, smaller unit.

If you need 12 blocks but I’m sorry, this isn’t really marketed toward you. Get an LT.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  10. GunpointMetal

GunpointMetal SS.org Regular

That's basically the HeadRush gigboard, lol

Razerjack, Elric and I play music like this.
  11. pott

pott SS.org Regular

BIG advantage to the HX Stomp vs. the AX8 if you wish to run 2 amps in parallel: the HX can, the AX8 can't.
    I tried it last night with a Marshall 2204 and a Mesa MK IV Lead models (Marshall for bass, Mesa for highs) and it sounds REALLY good, with decent clarity.

It uses a lot of DSP though: I only was able to add a TIMMAH! boost in front. I couldn't even add a Reverb block past this.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. sunnyd88

sunnyd88 SS.org Regular

Yeah, I really like the idea and look of the haedrush gigboard. It looks really premium. Too bad it sounds like doo doo. The HX stomp looks like doo doo but probably sounds great. The reason why I want 12 blocks is so that I can get a dual/stereo amp+cab+boost+whatever effect going.

13. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

Wow that's good to know. It isn't a deal break for recording as it wouldn't be needed (2 amps) but that's good info. I'm still interested in a stomp "maybe" but I am going to stick to the Mooer Preamp Live and my HX. Sounds like I'm not missing out on a lot.

14. shred-o-holic

shred-o-holic SS.org Regular

So it's a fact that the Gigboard sounds like shite? Too bad I like the layout.

15. metal_sam14

metal_sam14 Midget

Going to bump this as my HX stomp arrived today. I had a HX floor but don't really play shows anymore, so it was just sitting on my desk as a giant USB interface. The HX is perfect for me, mainly for latency free recording as I monitor using the built in amps and record a DI on USB out 7. It just sits on my desk like a little recording interface. I'm tempted to sell my jet city combo now and get a powercab plus and load my IR's into that for live, super portable and easy.

16. dhgrind

dhgrind SS.org Regular

How’s this for doom metal? Like orange amps v30’s and some fuzz/rats

17. Backsnack

Backsnack Many strings

Sort of a necrobump, but I’m curious about current HX Stomp users on this forum. How are you using yours?

I’m attracted to the form factor to incorporate it onto a pedal board with an Amp1 Iridium and a few of my favorite Alexander pedals. For this application, it would primarily be a multi-effects unit in the effects loop in the Amp1. Then I can also pair it up with the Mission expression pedal with the switch for an extra point of control for activating/deactivating blocks. Do you think the 6 blocks (effectively 5 if it’s hooked up in 4CM) would be limiting? I alao have a Morningstar MC6 midi controller that would help overcome the limitations of only 3 buttons. (The MC6 would be the MIDI brain of the whole board.)

What effects do you think are the weak points? I’ve read that the pitch shifting effects are just so-so.

18. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

my bandmate uses one. his board has a boost, wah, wireless and an expression pedal. pretty sweet setup.

AkiraSpectrum and Backsnack like this.
  19. shpence

shpence SS.org Regular

Very curious about this as well as it's all I really use FX-wise. Wondering if I even need the full Helix. Know I regret it if I don't though!

20. Rev2010

Rev2010 Contributor

Why not just go with the HX Effects which allows you 9 effect blocks? And if you have a DAW you can now get the Helix Native plugin for $99 having just the HX Effects since they dropped the price for owners of the HX units. Going that route it would cost the same as the HX Stomp but you'd have more effect blocks for live/studio use, more footswitches, amp control, scribble strips, etc and the full Helix in plugin format. Since it sounds like you're using a unit to do amp sim already? (I'm not familiar with Amp1 Iridium).

Rev.

Backsnack likes this.