Line 6 HX Effects on a pedalboard - how are people powering these?

Discussion in 'Beginners/FAQ' started by lewis, May 17, 2020.

1. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I have a fuel tank T Tex Chameleon power supply which is going to power everything else on this board except for the damn HX effects because Line 6 insist on using their own Proprietary power supply for some stupid reason. Why it cant be 9v, 12v or something more mainstream is beyond me.
    3G DC or some nonsense is the stock one.

Now plugging it in underneath the board into an 2 gang extension cable then sits too tall for the board etc and the plugs are too cumbersome for underneath.

The board is a templeaudio Duo 34.
    Any idea how people are making this work. Surely I havent got to keep plugging/unplugging that separately every time i use the pedalboard (when everything else will always still be connected at all times) That would be annoying and sort of defeat the purpose of an modular pedalboard!?.

Any help would be appreciated

2. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

I just found the box the power supply comes in and it says 9v DC on it underneath the product name of DC3 or whatever.

So will this run off a 9 volt power supply? Don't want to brick it by blindly trying

3. budda

budda Guiterrorizer Contributor

The power specs should be listed on the site. See if anything by cioks, strymon or voodoo lab will run it. Then buy that.

4. FancyFish

FancyFish SS.org Regular

If it's the same power supply as the stomp, I believe it is 9V/3A. People who are running it off a power supply are probably using current doubler adapters or have a power supply with a courtesy output, like the Voodoo Labs stuff.

5. Goatfork

Goatfork SS.org Regular

Assuming that it's the Stomp as well, I used the exact same method outlined in this video with great success:

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  6. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I'm powering my Stomp with a Strymon Zuma R30. The actual current draw of the Stomp is around 800ma if I remember correctly, so I'd guess the HXFX would be similar. I'm able to power it with two of the Zuma outputs (500ma each) bridged using a current doubler cable, polarity reverse adapter, and a Voodoo Lab L6 adapter.

7. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

and are these routes completely safe?
    Im worried that something goes wrong and Line 6 refuse to help because "I didnt use the stock power" -_-

I have the T Rex Fuel Tank Chameleon

8. TheWarAgainstTime

TheWarAgainstTime "TWAT" for short

I haven't run into any issues with my Stomp, and I've had it powered that way for about 6 months :2c:

Looking at the T Rex site, it seems the Chameleon only puts out 300ma per output, so even using a current doubler probably wouldn't be enough to feed the HXFX

lewis likes this.
  9. wakjob

wakjob SS.org Regular

Anyone else's Stomp get really hot?

10. sleewell

sleewell SS.org Regular

I'd use the outlet on my ppll+

11. StevenC

StevenC SS.org Regular

Cioks tested it and it maxed out at 1100mA. You could power it off a Cioks DC7, for example, using two outputs in parallel to get the current.

lewis likes this.
  12. lewis

lewis SS.org Regular

aswell as the Strymons :)

Im going to long term move my T Rex Chameleon to my Bass pedalboard as thats just going to be 9V darkglass pedals etc and pick up the big strymon for my guitar board instead so i can do this doubler route.