Lightweight High-end Sevens?

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by Stephenar19, May 4, 2021.

1. Stephenar19

Stephenar19 SS.org Regular

Hey guys,
    I'm looking to purchase my nicest seven yet, but have one major condition: due to back problems it needs to be as light as possible.

I'd love to get my hands on a Suhr, Mayo, or Aristides but as far as I'm aware, none of those are going to be light.

So far I'm looking at Strandberg as the obvious choice, but I've yet to try one in person and some of the reviews I've read have me wary of their quality.

I'm also considering a chambered Kiesel headless. Can anyone vouch for any of the above? Any other suggestions?

2. Lorcan Ward

Lorcan Ward 7slinger

Yeah none of those 3 are light.

Any headless with light weight wood will be perfect. You can even pay extra with Kiesel to get lighter wood. Ash strandbergs are very light.

Stephenar19 likes this.
  3. Stephenar19

Yeah, right now I'm thinking I'll try a Strandberg and if it doesn't work out, I can return and try Kiesel.

I forgot to mention, I was looking at the Aristides headless models too. If anyone has one and can give an idea of how much they weigh, that'd be awesome

Wildebeest likes this.
  4. Xykhron

Xykhron SS.org Regular

None of my custom Ormsby 7 string weights above 3,1 kg. All with headstock
    My Arístides H/08R with trem is less than 2,7 kg. (Headless)
    And my Skervesen Shoggie 7 string is 2,4 kg (headless)
    And the last one, my EBMM Majesty 7 is 3,1 kg.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Atefred likes this.
  5. diagrammatiks

diagrammatiks SS.org Regular

the headless Aristides is actually really light.

You can make anything light enough if you spec wisely and tell your builder that you want him to use the lightest out of what he has.

Strandberg's are a good benchmark but they actually do vary pretty widely based on construction and series.

My neck through skervesen with a headstock is only a .5 pounds heavier then my Strandberg.

Kiesel aren't actually that light and the ones that you would want to make lighter can't be chambered.

I'd suggest just trying out a Strandberg or speccing a guitar that's
    bolt-on, chambered, light swamp ash.

6. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

Strandberg is still extremely nice in terms of ergo and lightweight. If it's your thing and you find a good one, there's no topping it and the good ones play very very well. Quality is going to be quite variable though, all the way to sometimes being plain bad. You could get a Strandberg finished worse than some of the Chinese knock-offs that try to emulate it (NK & Co).

Kiesel is extremely consistent in terms of quality. Things like fretwork and quality of the finish are going to be A+. Their headless will not necessarily feel like a huge departure from a traditional guitar, which can be a pro or a con. Regardless, you have a lot of choices with them (bolt-on, neck through, even one set-through; various shapes and all the finishes you could imagine...) so you're almost sure to find something you like. Don't go crazy with options, and you'll save a bunch of $$$ and can also return the guitar if you don't like it.
    Chambering on their headless guitars doesn't make a huge difference (couple hundred grams), but I would however recommend the fixed bridge. The hipshot trem they use is great, but it uses a chonky block that weighs a lot. If you get a fixed bridge, the guitar should be under 6 pounds.

Aristides is a known quantity and will not disappoint if you like their material and have the $$$.

Finally, it seems you had other options in mind, but feel like weight would be problematic so you favor headless.
    Just as a note, I've seen both Suhr Modern Satins and EBMM Majesties below 6 pounds, and both are very ergonomic too. I'm sure I haven't seen the absolute lightest of those either. So there are some options with headstocks. Just have to find that info on the particular guitar you have your eye on.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    Wildebeest likes this.
  7. diagrammatiks

ya no reason to go headless if weight is the only ergonomic factor you're concerned with.

Aristides is probably off the table.

but I've Anderson hollow telecaster that were within .5 pounds of my Strandberg.

my prs hollow body 2 is super light too.

my strandberg still wins if .5 pounds will make a difference though.

Wildebeest likes this.
  8. Stephenar19

Hmm this changes things. If the H/07 is within just a pound of a Strandberg, then that may be the direction I go in

9. michael_bolton

michael_bolton SS.org Regular

Aristides are very light for their size actually, you'd have to get really light woods/chambered body in a comparable guitar made of wood to match them weight-wise.
    A bit heavier than strandbergs but not by much - between strandberg and h/07 - we're probably talking 1/2-3/4 lbs difference tops, world of a difference quality wise though (unless you go with j boden, maybe).

10. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

I'm going to throw in my vote for Ormsby. My 7 string SX is the lightest 7 I've every played.

A-Branger likes this.
  11. Musiscience

Musiscience Hail the Ibbyborn!

EBMM Majesty! Mine was around 6.9 pounds. About a pound lighter than my 6s. Insane for a 7.

AkiraSpectrum likes this.
  12. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

Ibanez S Series Prestige

Kyle Jordan, Dan_Vacant and Emperoff like this.
  13. Isurez

Isurez Skervesen Guitars

Our 7-string ShoggieDC with ABM headless hardware, roasted maple neck and okoume body should be light like nothing else. I highly recommend it if the build time and price are not a problem for you.

14. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

yeah I'm confused why people think Aristides are heavy, I had a Raw series 070S and I weighed it once and it was barely 6lbs. Maybe the Raw series is what's required for it to be light.

15. Emperoff

Emperoff Not using 5150s Contributor

I would also add a very wide and nicely padded strap. Regular leather straps don't do much for weight relief.

odibrom likes this.
  16. Xykhron

Xykhron SS.org Regular

Yesterday I received my Ronciswall Vapor 7 (headless). Weights 2.4 kg

17. A-Branger

A-Branger SS.org Regular

maybe not "heavy", but (at least for me), i was expecting a lighter guitar after seeing them everywhere and the whole "no-wood" thing, pickup up the first one at NAMM and I got really surprised on the weight factor as I was expecting something lighter

they arent heavy, more like normal weight, but I had the idea that they were gonna be lighter

mbardu and jco5055 like this.
  18. diagrammatiks

They are like normal weight. But you'd expect a guitar that thin to be lighter. It's just cognitive disconnect more than anything.

By all reports the h/0 are about as light as they look.

A-Branger, mbardu and jco5055 like this.
  19. cip 123

cip 123 Vendor

If you don’t mind going used and also doing a good deal of searching, Parker made some 7 string models and they’re crazy light.

c7spheres and Emperoff like this.
  20. jco5055

jco5055 SS.org Regular

yeah they are definitely thin, to be fair I haven't played the Blackmachine or it's knockoffs/tributes to confirm if the wood version of a body shape is even lighter