Lightening up

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Chris Bowsman, Jul 5, 2019.

1. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I feel dumb even asking, but what sort of technique adjustments? Lighter picking and adjusting the angle of the pick a certain way?

2. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands greg rulz ok

Not fretting the strings as hard, too.

Smoked Porter likes this.
  3. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Lighter, more deliberate picking along the length of the string. Same with your fretting hand, be more precise with fretting and get your fretting hand muting down.

Let your rig bring the output. There's no reason to bash the heck out of the strings when you have so much power and output on tap between your pickups, pedals, and amp.

4. Smoked Porter

Smoked Porter SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say I pick lightly, but hard enough to get an aggressive metal rhythm sound while keeping the gain as low as reasonably possible. I would ask what you consider bashing the strings, but you're over there, and I'm over here, so there's only so much you can do to illustrate your point. :lol:

5. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Yeah, it's kind of hard to translate into words. :lol:

You just pick soft enough to not get string rattle through the amp, or crazy pitch oscillation. What that looks like is going to depend on how much action and relief you set.

That doesn't mean you can't dig in, you just adjust a bit as needed. There's a learning curve to it as you're somewhat retraining your picking hand.