Lighten ziricote?

Discussion in 'Luthiery, Modifications & Customizations' started by jwade, Apr 7, 2018.

1. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Anyone have any tips/tricks to lighten ziricote? The fb on the SG 7 I built looked considerably nicer years ago, but it's pretty dark now.

I couldn't find much info other than some knife handle forum guys talking about using wood bleach? I don't know if bleaching a fingerboard would be even a little bit safe. I'm assuming it would dry it out badly.

Any ideas?

2. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD SS.org Regular

First thing would be to give it a good scrubby cleaning with denatured alcohol and a white 3m scotchbrite pad and see what you're working with.

If it's still too dark, I'd carefully scrape a few microns off the top with a razor.

jwade likes this.
  3. pondman

pondman Build Whore.

Just leave it, it'll only darken again.

KnightBrolaire and JimF like this.
  4. jwade

jwade Doooooooooom

Bummer!

5. MikeNeal

MikeNeal SS.org Regular

I've used ziricote for 2 different fretboards.

The first one I used Rubio monocoat to finish it and the dark parts look like ebony now

The second one I used cirinova unicoat. And it stayed considerably lighter.

Just some food for thought

6. Omzig

Omzig SS.org Regular

Ive used oxalic acid made up in various strength solutions to help match/lighten various woods (no doubt it's what your knife scale guys were ref to rather than household bleach (which is also made with oxalic acid) ) if you've tried cleaning with naphtha to remove the grease/oils and your still not happy it's worth a YT search or getting some and doing a test yourself on some scrap to see if it can get you what your looking for.

7. MoonJelly

MoonJelly a subtle stinging sensation..

You can bleach wood with diluted lye. I have never done it on a fretboard after it was finished, but I had some success with some birdseye maple that had some dark mineral streaks in it. It worked well as fretboards afterwards...but I dunno if I'd try it on a finished piece.