Licks from nowhere

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Charlie Foxtrot 3rd, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Oakie Doaky

Last night I was jamming with some mates, I’m playing my LP when out of nowhere I play this riff/lick/doodle thing that was WAY beyond my abilities, like my hand belonged to a better guitarist, momentarily. Everyone kind of looked at me in surprise, I stared at my hand for a few seconds wondering where that came from, I certainly didn’t practice or plan it and when I tried to replicate it later it was a hot mess.

Any of you experienced this?

2. akinari

akinari SS.org Regular

Yeah. Sometimes it's just a fluke or a lucky shot, and sometimes it's because you stopped thinking about it. There is no try and all that.

3. myrtorp

myrtorp Jiggywiggy

It's been a while since I jammed with friends sadly but I can remember sometimes playing better than I'm used too, I thought it was the heat of the moment, you have your blood up, is warmed up basically, maybe you have carried gear, moved about and hyped this moment a little, and it gets let out in tight riffs and licks!

then I sit at home, cold hands, and cant re-create it :p

4. Baelzebeard

Baelzebeard Grinder of strings

I feel your pain. Very funny!

I usually come up with something genius at home, then make a fool of my self trying to show it to my band mates later. Usually can remember the notes, but not the rhythm.
    "It goes like this....no, like this......no, .......well fxck it!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
  5. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    I got the exact opposite (to thread's idea) last week at the rehearsal, for whatever reason I could not get the inicial riff of PSIORB's Epacse song and I've played it before at home as warming up. At the rehearsal, no matter what I did, my brain was a pure white canvas, completely void of any useful information. And the hole rehearsal was that, that particular riff just went to space. All other songs's riffs were there, more or less, but that one simply wasn't. It only clicked back at me back home... what a frustration.

Once in a jam with a previous PSIORB lineup, when we were yet doing some jams to know each other musically, we did one full song completely improvised from start to finish, it sounded totally composed and not improvised, never to play it again, luckily it was recorded and I think part of it is being used in one of our songs...

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd likes this.
  6. Charlie Foxtrot 3rd

Charlie Foxtrot 3rd Oakie Doaky

It was the other way for me, when my mind sort of went blank some tasty chops revealed themselves as akinari mentioned above. Once my mind came back online my ability quickly settled back into it’s normal groove (rut).

Just need to free my mind
    (insert Matrix meme)

works0fheart and odibrom like this.
  7. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar começa...
    ya, that's what I meant with the opposite, I was trying to play a composed song as opposed to jam/improvisation and instead of getting illumination from the higher spheres, I was crushed to ground to my miserable existence for not being able to play the opening riff of PSIORB's 1st ever song, which was totally presented to the band BY ME. It's one of those songs that I almost don't have to look at the fingerboard to play it, I could eventually play most of it with my eyes closed and last week it smoked out from my brain...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2020
    Charlie Foxtrot 3rd likes this.