Lets see your family photo!!

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by vejichan, Oct 13, 2021.

1. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 1.18.16 PM.png Dropped off my guitars at my tech this morning since they are long overdue for a setup. Decided to take a family photo...missing here are my TA classic and drop top, suhr standard which i donated to my family members. i no longer play them due to only 22frets. Lets see your family photo.

The strat and brown lives in Standard E tuning, The purple lives in Eb, The koa lives in Drop C Screen Shot 2021-10-13 at 1.15.47 PM.png 20211013_115707.jpg

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
  2. CanserDYI

CanserDYI Beauty can't be seen through the eyes

Learn to do your own setup! Its very rewarding!

I love your collection, man. The purple quilt being my favorite.

jahosy, Tree and wheresthefbomb like this.
  3. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

Can you teach me? i tried but my fear of damaging something got the best of me.. pm me if you can help

4. CanserDYI

Youtube is your friend, my man. Youtube is your friend.

I've been working on my own guitars for years now, and I've done some stupid things to them, but yet have made a "fatal error" on a guitar, and I'm NO pro. All I'm saying is its not rocket science, and genuinely learning the ins and outs of your instrument will give you a better understanding of it and make it a bit more "yours".

Tree, wheresthefbomb and odibrom like this.
  5. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

thanks but i'm better off handing them to a qualified tech.

6. CanserDYI

Well yeah, with that attitude, youre right.

Alex79 and mmr007 like this.
  7. yan12

yan12 SS.org Regular

Beautiful guitars...I must ask two questions.

1. On the TA, does it stay in tune well with the trem and no locking nut? I assume you are running locking tuners.
    2. On the Suhr, does the locking nut hang off the end of the fingerboard? My Suhrs all did that and I was wondering if it has changed.

8. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

1- my baby floyds are recessed but blocked. They stay in tune great and have locking tuners. I prefer baby floyds. Also its easier to go to drop d.

2- no

9. mmr007

mmr007 CIA Fraud Investigator

10. Drew

Drew Forum MVP

https://www.ibanezrules.com/tech/setup/index.htm

This is where I learned probably 90% of what I know about working on guitars. It's intimidating at first but once you start doing things you'll be surprised how easy a lot of this stuff is... and the real win is only YOU know exactly how you want a guitar to play, so you'll never be as happy with an off-the-rack setup as one you've done yourself, to your own taste.

11. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

You'd be surprised how hard it is to actually damage something doing a setup. Most of a setup is turning screws and measuring stuff (if even). On top of that, no tech is ever going to be able to get your setup 100% how you like it. Only you can do that.

I am a pretty oafish person and I have never broken anything doing a setup. I've been messing with my truss rod and everything else for 20 years, since I was a dumbass teenager with my first guitar learning how stuff worked by pure trial and error. You can always start over and try again.

Learning to do your own setups will also make you more confident in your own abilities. Every time you learn to do something new you also learn that you can learn more new things.

I'd be legitimately curious to hear of someone actually irreparably damaging a guitar doing a setup. The only times I've done serious damage, I knew it was a risk before even starting, and it was definitely not during the course of anything resembling a routine setup.

12. mbardu

mbardu SS.org Regular

For the price of those guitars, and if OP has a great tech...I can see people who don't like fiddling with stuff paying some $$$ to have a professional take care of maintenance.
    I don't do it, and I'll always recommend people at least try to do their own guitar maintenance a couple of times (they might like it), but it doesn't have to be for everyone.

I've never damaged any guitars in setup so I guess I'm not too bad at it, but that said, I do know someone who played too much with his truss rod, and with the wrong tool, and ended up stripping it so that now you can no longer turn it either way. Whoops. If you're being really harsh, you can also just break it altogether. Extreme and not too common though, I'll give you that.

I'm almost more thinking about minor damage such as finish scratches near the bridge or nut during string changes, or things like a bump from a rogue falling screwdriver or whatever other "accident". That can happen. If you like your guitars mint, that's a bummer. If it has never happened to you, I bet you're not that oafish :)
    Hopefully OP is using a great tech though, because careless ones are just as or more likely to get those as careful enthusiasts - especially people who care and work on their own guitars.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2021
    RiksRiks likes this.
  13. jaxadam

jaxadam SS.org Regular

Ironically, a tech is not going to care about your guitar as much as you do.

14. mmr007

I'm confused. Didn't you just post those same two guitars a few days ago in NGD thread? How long overdue for a set up are they? Were they not set up properly by Anderson Guitarworks? Or am I misunderstanding something? Was it a late late late NGD posting?

15. V_man

V_man SS.org Regular

That was exactly my tought. Why an x person would treat your stuff better than you? Not even your friends take care of your things as good as you.

16. CanserDYI

Look at who OP is, it'll all make sense.

17. mmr007

Its not quite making sense. Can you teach me?

7stringDemon and CanserDYI like this.
  18. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

I think you have a problem with me man. Please just go about your life and ignore me. I wish you and your family well. Thank you and be safe..

odibrom and CanserDYI like this.
  19. vejichan

vejichan SS.org Regular

what are you confused about? Why people post pics of their guitars? Why people take their guitars to techs to setup? Why is there a NGD? does it matter? I need to get my guitars setup. The action is a bit high. I am confused why you need to know and why you chose to take time to respond when there are literally thousands and thousands of other threads and postings. Is there anything on this posts of interest? If not move on to a thread that does interest you. Thank you.

odibrom likes this.
  20. odibrom

odibrom .

... perto de onde a terra acaba e o mar come├ža...
    ... and how about re-railing the train and focus on guitar family photos? I'm about to do a NGD soon enough and a family photo included. Until then, I'd like to see more family pics, please... thank you!

vejichan and shredmechanic like this.