Go To Bed Jessica

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
If it's AAs running into some kind of voltage multiplier (octupler!) arrangement,they might not last a long time before they need changing.

Seems a little crazy to me - but I guess it's down to how much current draw there is.

Zhysick

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
No AAs... AAs are bigger than 9v H6 type.

20130207111916.jpg

focusbob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Instead of set screws, Ibanez usually uses tuners with small pegs on the underside that kind of sink into the headstock to keep them set. Here's the best picture I could find
69sU9Q3.jpg

Thanks for that info! Does that mean that replacement tuners that don't have these small pegs on the underside will not fit? Should all locking tuners (without set screws) fit?

This is a great forum; for me, a really great thread would be people posting the model number of parts they installed into this guitar, and their review of their fit/quality/etc.

focusbob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How much of a difference do folks think changing the bridge to a hipshot would make to the tone? It's a pricey upgrade, relatively speaking, relative to the cost of the guitar....

I'm planning to install dactivators, change all the electronics and the tuners. But beyond that it seems to me that getting a different nut/bridge will be cost prohibitive given their benefits (the nut bc there is no graph tech pre-shaped one I am aware of). I installed string saver saddles on my 7 but only because I was breaking strings like crazy, not for tone. The stock nut isn't plastic, right? Looks like Corian.

Edit: to be more specific, I'm planning on getting the replacement electronics through rs guitarworks and some form of locking tuners, brand/model# of successful installs would be appreciated!

kris_jammage

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
How much of a difference do folks think changing the bridge to a hipshot would make to the tone? It's a pricey upgrade, relatively speaking, relative to the cost of the guitar....

I'm planning to install dactivators, change all the electronics and the tuners. But beyond that it seems to me that getting a different nut/bridge will be cost prohibitive given their benefits (the nut bc there is no graph tech pre-shaped one I am aware of). I installed string saver saddles on my 7 but only because I was breaking strings like crazy, not for tone. The stock nut isn't plastic, right? Looks like Corian.

Edit: to be more specific, I'm planning on getting the replacement electronics through rs guitarworks and some form of locking tuners, brand/model# of successful installs would be appreciated!

Yeah I cant see a new bridge making enough of a difference to justify paying for one. If I was planning to change it I'd just change the saddles to Graphtech String Savers, although the bridge/saddles on the RG8 are fine, really cant see any issue with them at all.

After a lot of thought, I've decided to leave mine pretty much as it is, except for new pickups and some slight cosmetic mods like my fret inlays and new volume/tones knobs, purely for looks.

Although I'm thinking of picking up a white one as well, just for shits and giggles!

mphsc

http://pyramidguitarscompany.com/
Reaction score
So the bridges are worth a shit? I'm grabbing to mod the hell out of for a back-up but don't want to drop the cash on a Hipshot unless necessary. Maybe I just power coat the saddles.

r3tr0sp3ct1v3

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Hmm considering one of these as first 8. I want a pickguard on it.

Ever since I picked up my rg350 xmas 2011, I find it hard to like an rg without a pickguard. Pickguards just feel so classy. I don't want to drill into a new guitar though D: suggestions?

focusbob

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
One more tuner related question: can anyone with more tuner knowledgee than me comment on how the stock tuners compare to aftermarket (non locking) tuners? And/or have any info on them (gear ratio, materials) that would allow for such a comparison? I don't want to go through the trouble of changing something that doesn't need to be changed.

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
Hmm considering one of these as first 8. I want a pickguard on it.

Ever since I picked up my rg350 xmas 2011, I find it hard to like an rg without a pickguard. Pickguards just feel so classy. I don't want to drill into a new guitar though D: suggestions?

Double sided tape. Thats what im going to do.

I might even drill screw holes and glue on fake screw heads to make it look real. lol

mphsc

Reaction score
Just bought one & shipped it to Livewire Guitars. Going for a
UV77RE1.jpg

sort of feel.

Going passive with swirled active covers, now if I knew if I needed a Hipshot or if this bridge is worth a shit.

FrostyTheDroMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Double sided tape. Thats what im going to do.

I might even drill screw holes and glue on fake screw heads to make it look real. lol

This is the silliest, most retarded thing I've ever heard... :ugh: Do a search for a luthier close to where you live and just get a real pickguard made and installed...

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
So the several people that I've seen do this, including professional musicians, are retarded for doing a reversible mod on a guitar, instead of drilling holes in it? Makes sense.

FrostyTheDroMan

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
Did they also glue on fake screw heads?!? Thats the retarded part. If you're going to go to that extent, just get it done right.

MikeSap

formerly mikeyENGL
Reaction score
It all comes down to personal preference. Everyone is entitled to their personal opinion. I, myself, have been considering making a pickguard and using glued screwheads myself. I go through gear like crazy and having an irreversable mod like a bunch of screw holes all over the guitar brings down the value as not every buyer is interested in the same aesthetics. I learned that the hard way on several occasions

MikeH

Bring the gain
Reaction score
Did they also glue on fake screw heads?!? Thats the retarded part. If you're going to go to that extent, just get it done right.

If they want the aesthetic property, but don't want the irreversible damage, then I see no reason why that's stupid. If you don't like it, don't do it to your guitar. Next issue, please.

donray1527

djack of all trades
Reaction score
This is the silliest, most retarded thing I've ever heard... :ugh: Do a search for a luthier close to where you live and just get a real pickguard made and installed...

Maybe I want to change it up down the road. Maybe I don't want someone drilling into my new guitar? Doesn't seem retarded to me.

Orsinium

SS.org Regular
Reaction score
All I know is someone needs to get those Ionizer pickups and try them out, I have the D'activators and they are phenomenal but I wish I waited for the Ionizer's :(

mphsc

Reaction score
so should we use the .125 or .175 Hipshot bridge on this model?

kn1feparty

Guitarded
Reaction score
The bridge on these things is solid. I see no reason to change it other than for aesthetic purposes.