Les Paul vs. Telecaster buying conundrum...

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by willyman101, Dec 30, 2010.

1. willyman101

willyman101 SS.org Regular

Now I'm a man with some contacts. And so I have the opportunity to either purchase a brand new Fender USA Deluxe Tele for about £700, or a brand new Les Paul Standard Goldtop for £1100 ish. For those of you American folks, that's pretty good. What I want is something classic that will last me.

I've always been one for buying used but when the opportunity to buy new for a good price rears it's head I'm always up for it, so I'm trying to decide between these two. However, I can't. I've played them both and they both have qualities I love. The issue is - the tele may be too similar to my US Standard Strat, and I might not be gaining all that much with the purchase. On the other hand, the tele deal is better than the LP one, and the Gibson will cost more and, from what I've heard, may well be of lesser standard than the telecaster.

Both good guitars, both have their own qualities. So I ask SS.org for help, which do you think would be a better bet?

2. vampiregenocide

vampiregenocide SS.org Regular

Fuck thats a steal! I'd go for the goldtop. Though I'm more of a tele fan myself, the goldtop is different to your strat, so you'd be varying up your instruments more.

3. willyman101

willyman101 SS.org Regular

I should mention that I have a JB jr. in my Strat, which is pretty much a single coil sized humbucker. So I do have the big tone at the mo, but could still swap a single coil back in if I went for a Gibbo... still, it's the twang that gets me!

4. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

Gibson quality has waned greatly over the past few years, from personal experience at the very least. I'd take the Tele without a doubt. I don't think there is too much of an issue of the Tele being to similar to your Strat. I don't know how extensively you've played Teles, but they are similar enough, but quite different. :2c:

Tele tele tele. :)

5. vampiregenocide

My mate has a few USA Gibsons, says nothing but good things about them.

6. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

If he has a few, then he likely hasn't bought them all in the last four or five years.

7. synrgy

synrgy Ya ya ya I am Lorde

Personally, I'd go for the Tele. The only Gibson LP I could ever consider shelling out serious cash for is one of the original silverburst ones like Adam Jones from Tool plays. Otherwise, I think you'd be better served with a non-Gibson LP copy.

Just my personal opinion, though. Everybody has their own taste. Just go with your gut. :yesway:

8. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

What always helps me when shopping for anything is Youtube. Look for some videos of these guitars through rigs similar to yours.

9. MTech

MTech Banned

Playability is personal but in terms of quality in the build like most have mentioned I'd get the Fender hands down.

10. vampiregenocide

Actually he bought them all last month. :lol: Brand new too.

11. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

^Damn! Well, congratulations to him! :D
    I'm by no means any sort of expert.

12. vampiregenocide

Think he bought 6 new guitars in all. :lol: He's mad. I think he used to be endorsed by Gibson back in the day, so he knows his way around their guitars. From what he's said, the older ones feel more 'vintage' and he liked the fatter necks, newer ones tend to feel more cosmetic though are made better technically.

13. Customisbetter

Customisbetter WhiskeyTangoFoxtrot Contributor

Tele is always the correct decision.

14. JamesM

JamesM The Armada

^+1

Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

15. fwd0120

fwd0120 Bipedal Hominid

I'm a die hard Fender guy, but if you already have a strat, You might to get the LP, especially since its a gold top! it will add another dimension of tones and feel to your arsenal, And you can always get a coil-tap on the LP if you want, LPs have a distinctive coil tap!

Play both! YMMV!!

16. telecaster90

telecaster90 Smokestack Lightning Contributor

Get the tele. Don't be fooled into thinking that you'll get tones that are too similar to your strat, the tele is very sonically unique :yesway:

17. Zugster

Zugster the green machine

I have a tele, a stat, an LP, an SG... and an RG 7621. (All really great specimens too!). There's no doubt that my tele and strat have more in common with each other than my LP and SG. If you want more variety of tone and style, I'd pick the LP if I were in your position.

18. MatthewK

MatthewK SS.org Regular

Assuming that's really a good price for the LP, I'd definitely go with that. Fender is great, but IMO it's a lot easier to find a nice deal on a good Fender than a Gibson. Also, Fender copies are way, way, way more faithful to the real thing than most Gibson copies.

19. signalgrey

signalgrey Ambiente Savante

id go Tele personally. the LP is a decent buy and not a bad catch at all but i think the the Tele is gonna be the better choice.

good luck! enjoy your choice

20. soliloquy

soliloquy SS.org Regular

look for the tone you're looking for.
    if you like humbuckers more, then get the gibson
    if you like the twang, then get the tele.

but if you like the way the tele feels, and want more of a humbucker sound, then get the tele and throw this set of pickups in there: