Les paul upgrades

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Kornfann1024, May 23, 2019.

1. Kornfann1024

Kornfann1024 SS.org Regular

Looking for locking tuners and maybe a new bridge, suggestions welcome and appreciated

2. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

Gotoh.

Affordable and top tier quality.

3. DudeManBrother

DudeManBrother Hey...how did everybody get in my room?

Kluson makes a great set of locking tuners that keep the factory ivory pedal tuner look. Direct drop in for Les Pauls. Grover and Gotoh both make great options as well. I think the Tonepros LPM04 is the best TOM bridge; but Gotoh is really good for the price.

4. Alex79

Alex79 SS.org Regular

5. possumkiller

possumkiller SS.org Regular

Callaham bridge. All made from steel. Others are zinc, aluminum, brass or other soft cast metals. I don't really care much about the tonewood debate but after tossing a steel bridge in a Classic Vibe Squier and fat steel studs in my Flying Vs, I'm a true believer in tonemetal. Brass not so much but steel definitely makes a very noticeable improvement. I haven't tried any titanium hardware yet.

6. Kornfann1024

I seen these but ive never see locking tuners like this and dont know if they're worth it.

As for a bridge is there anything available akin to the Gibraltar on the ibanez arz's? I really like how it feels but i cant seem to find dimensions or if i can get it in gold

Attached Files:

7. Dineley

Dineley SS.org Regular

Whos gonna tell him???

8. Dekay82

Dekay82 SS.org Regular

Graphite nut. Will help with the madness of the G string

USMarine75 likes this.
  9. Kornfann1024

???

10. Zombie13

Zombie13 XIII

I always suggest a Wilkinson Locking Roller Bridge and get a lot of flack for it because everyone seems to prefer sharp tuneomatic saddles, but the Locking Roller Bridge is far better than the stock ABR style bridge, even on a Gibson.

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Plays Authentic ® Contributor

What year? If it has the stock brass nut then that's a must change to deal with tuning issues and stability, especially with the G string. Not only are they often cut wrong from the factory, but the material is soft and wears easily. If you contact customer service they will send you a free one (I can't remember which they sent but it wasn't brass... IIRC maybe titanium?).

Kluson is THE go to for upgrade with stock appearance, especially if you ever want to resell down the road. Otherwise, Gotoh are great (just keep the originals).

What pickups? I had Burstbucker 2 and 3 (IIRC) in my "Northern Lights" CS and I HATED them. I literally couldn't EQ a good tone no matter what amp/pedal/setting. I replaced with 496/500 and couldn't be happier. They do metal, but clean up really well. I have the same set in my V and they are so underrated. I also had a 2018 HP SG with the Super 57 and Classic 57 and those were awesome too. They still had a lot of punch for rock, but cleaned up even better.

Whatever the negatives when it comes to Gibson, they are tone machines. I've been playing mostly Strats and Teles lately, but I randomly fired up my goldtop P90 LP through an OCD and holy cats I forgot how godly that tone can be.

12. Kornfann1024

I believe its a 2002-2006ish, the shop my dad got it from didn't move a whole lot of stuff so idk exactly how old it is, i think its a bone nut, w.e it is its very hard, off white material. Id like to keep at least the tuners stock looking. Im not having tuning issues i just prefer locking tuners ad as for the bridge ive never liked the sharp tom style saddles, kills my hand after about an hour of playing

13. gunch

gunch chungus

a string butler then you don't have to worry about the G string being a fuck ever again

or a locking nut and TOM with fine tuners