Legator Guitars ... Whats the deal

Discussion in 'Sevenstring Guitars' started by 777, Mar 22, 2021.

1. 777

777 SS.Org's Irish Guy

I started watching berried alive and noticed he had a sig with them. Cant find a single video/record of anyone purchasing one.

Lucas mann has one and apparently it comes with a push/pull pot that does nothing.

Whats the deal with this company?

2. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

they make bad guitars. That's the deal.

oracles, mastapimp, ikarus and 6 others like this.
  3. Masoo2

Masoo2 SS.org Regular

Cheap import guitars with some pretty decent specs on paper. Did a lot of headless/fanned/odd finish stuff before the bulk of the import market caught up.

I have an MIK fanned fret Ghost 8. Paid like $550 for it through Guitar Center's used section with 30 day hassle free return.

I wanted to try a fanned fret guitar and this was the only one sub-$1200+ that matched my preferred parallel fret (7-9th) and scale lengths (28 inch+ low end). Turns out it's also extremely light and has a great feeling neck profile (think Ibanez RG8 but rounder, maybe slightly slimmer).

I'd buy it again. Wouldn't buy one from a place that doesn't guarantee returns though. I also wouldn't buy one for $1000+ unless the scale lengths or parallel fret placement are absolute deal breakers for you as you start to find lots of other options above a grand with better QC, better electronics, and better specs. Think Ormsby, Schecter, Jackson, maybe Ibanez, etc.

Definitely wouldn't buy a straight scale or 6 string one though. If you're considering one of those, just buy an Ibanez or LTD or Solar or PRS or Jackson or something.

There's always been something off about that Berried Alive dude, always found it funny how all of the dude from Reflections I was cool with managed to stay in the band but he ended up leaving and now does some pseudo RoS MIDI-like alien hyperstuff along with really weird/low effort/intentionally bad marketing. Odd fellow.

EDIT: They also sell a few of the only decent specced 9 strings on the market. For all the crap Lucas Mann has deservingly gotten over the years, his Legator 9 string is by far the best specced production 9 you can find imo. 30-28.5 fan, Fishman Moderns, burl top with a decent finish, etc.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2021
    Wildebeest likes this.
  4. NoodleFace

NoodleFace Delicious Noodles

I think my problem with Berried Alive is the videos are super overproduced and off sounding.

I've heard too many bad things about legator. Bad QC

Wildebeest likes this.
  5. josh1

josh1 SS.org Regular

I've had a Legator Ninja seven string multiscale that was pretty cool. Frets weren't too great but not bad. More recently I had the Ghost seven string that was great all around but i traded it for a MIJ Ibby when I realized I can't play seven strings. I like Legator. I think they're pretty cool guitars. I'd like to try a six string sometime.

shupe13 likes this.
  6. Hollowway

Hollowway Extended Ranger

I think they’ve largely filled in the Agile gap that has been left as rondo isn’t stocking as many guitars. Otherwise they’re pretty generic shaped ERGs in trendy finishes. IMO they’re overpriced at their actual prices, but they can always be gotten on sale. I just don’t think they’re anything special, unless you really can’t get anything else with the specs. (Like was said about their 9s)

Jonathan20022 and Masoo2 like this.
  7. MaxOfMetal

MaxOfMetal Likes trem wankery. Super Moderator

8. Eyelessfiend

Eyelessfiend SS.org Regular

I had a six string baritone from them a few years ago. Got it for a steal and it was a really solid guitar. Sold it to fund a semi custom build(which should be ready any day now).
    I wouldn't buy one with out a solid return policy. Have played a few others that weren't great.

9. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

10. jephjacques

jephjacques BUTTS LOL

I had never heard of him before and the music is actually pretty interesting. Like deathcore and experimental club had a weird alien baby. I don't *like* it, but it's cool that it exists, if that makes any sense.

The hypercolor Spencer's Gifts aesthetic is pretty embarrassing on a dude who looks to be in his 30s though

0rimus, SCJR, Jonathan20022 and 2 others like this.