Learning to play clean and tight - books, YT channels?

Discussion in 'Music Theory, Lessons & Techniques' started by 3trv5u, Feb 5, 2014.

1. 3trv5u

3trv5u tone whore

Hello,
    Can anybody recommend me a book or something smilar that will push my technique forwards? I'm often recording "for teh lulz" and I hear I make LOTS of mistakes: letting strings ring, bending them etc, also my hand coordination sucks, my right hand tends to pick before my left hand is even pressing the string. I simply don't know how to fix it all without any kind of a guideline.

TheHandOfStone likes this.
  2. JLP2005

JLP2005 Chief Knuckledragger

3. Modulation

Modulation Banned

Use a metronome it will do wonders for your playing

4. 80H

80H Banned

Literally getting called a djent hipster, Californ
    Do you ever practice very slowly and deliberately? I would bet good money that either you don't or don't frequently enough to make an impact. It's one of the best skills you can learn for this instrument and a surprisingly large number of other fields of knowledge.

Most mistakes have a root source. When it comes to letting strings ring, it's usually a careless motion where you just assume you "have it" instead of absolutely knowing what it feels like to play it right. I've been there, and it was slightly frustrating to change. However, it's much easier to go from endless inaccurate noodling to steady, confident growth than it is to go in reverse. I literally get physically and emotionally uncomfortable when I catch myself noodling beyond warming up or getting ideas.

This is probably the same with your left hand: because you seldom take that extra step back, slow it down and really focus and refine what you're doing, your body tries to push out whatever sound it's thinking, but it doesn't actually know how to coordinate itself for the given sound. So your body is trying to meet your mind's standards without having a truly solidified sense of what it takes to produce that sound fluidly and accurately. There's that dissonance going on between them, and that has to be completely resolved before you can achieve fluidity with what you're doing. When it comes to processing actions that happen at 1/10th of a second, you must be prepared ahead of time to do it as you want it to be done. It's just not enough time to figure it out on the fly before you've earned your stripes. The more you learn and grow, the more you will just "know" how to play something...but that's developed over years, while a slow and intentional growth can be done in a few hours sometimes. And it's with that slow and intentional growth that you eventually start to internalize the mechanics of the instrument without needing to spend those hours on figuring it out.

If there was any guideline at all that I would tell you, I would say to adopt intentional growth as a virtue. In other words, don't play what you can, play want you mean to. If you can't play what you mean to, then you practice, figure it out and move forward. Maybe it takes a week, maybe a month...maybe more. Who knows? The best you can do is eat right, take care of yourself, get a good sleep and focus.

3trv5u likes this.
  5. Given To Fly

Given To Fly SS.org Regular

Lessons. Even just one lesson where you voice your concerns about your technique will make a huge difference.

6. Basti

Basti not much space to wr

I'll echo what others have said and advise you to take control rather than looking to others for help, you know your mistakes and you know what you need to work on. Take it slow, use a metronome from time to time, focus on what you're doing wrong and explore ways to correct it.
    Another thing i find quite helpful is to watch videos of your favourite guitarists, it helps with technique and even more with motivation

7. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

My books should help you out since the main focus of them is about developing consistent, relaxed technique and better timing.

8. samthebrutal

samthebrutal What is happening?

If you're looking for a good book/video; John Petrucci's Rock Discipline is an excellent place to start, it has lots and lots of technical exercises to develop speed and accuracy. (pssh, you can also find it on youtube if you look hard enough.) But seriously, buy it.

9. psycle_1

psycle_1 SS.org Regular

Big props on your app, sir. Just downloaded it and practiced with it for the past 30 minutes. Simple, yet very helpful. Thank you!

10. Maniacal

Maniacal SS.org Regular

Thanks! Glad you like it, many more updates coming soon

11. USMarine75

USMarine75 Colorless green ideas sleep furiously Contributor

For me what worked was practicing with little or no distortion/effects, and also practicing on my acoustic-electric. A lot of shitty techniques and mistakes become apparent without distortion to cover them up.

The other two big ones... using a metronome/tapping your foot, as well as practicing slower were already mentioned above. :yesway:

12. TheHandOfStone

TheHandOfStone E♭M7(♭5)

"It's easy, you just sort of relax your hand and..." *salgdhlskdghlsdagsadhglsadgs*