Lateralus turns 20 years

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by Bloody_Inferno, May 16, 2021.

1. Bloody_Inferno

Bloody_Inferno Silence is Violence

[​IMG]

I remember that morning walking into the store and buying a copy. For me this is Tool's best album. I remember getting into arguments with my then bandmates as to whether this or Aenima was better, but I still stand by this sentiment (Lateralus for me has stronger songs and less of the usual Tool throwaway tracks).

It's also one of my favorite bass centered albums. I learned so much from Justin Chancellor's approach in both playing using pedals.

2. Edika

Edika SS.org Regular

Damn, it seems like yesterday when I was trying to get a girl I was going out with into this album!

Strobe likes this.
  3. KailM

KailM SS.org Regular

Agreed it’s their best, though Aenima is a close second. Good times!

4. cardinal

cardinal F# Dive Bomber

I'm so old.

Killer album.

5. Marked Man

Marked Man SS.org Regular

Then that makes me...............old. :rant:

I must admit, I was aware of this album back then, but never pursued it. Now I will fix that problem. It will be a brand new discovery for me. :cheers:

6. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Funny enough, I loved this album 10,000 Days as a teen, but outside of Sober I never dug into the rest of their discography for some reason, and I still haven't found the time to listen to the latest one.

As much as I enjoy all the Tool memes Lateralus is still one of my favourite songs ever written, and I'm a sucker for its schtick.

7. vilk

vilk Very Regular

Maybe kind of unpopular opinion: it's Tool's only good album

chipchappy likes this.
  8. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I was thinking about this the other day.

I bought both lateralus and the cold vein by cannibal ox same time in Vancouver before I flew back home after 2 years there, and that was june 2001

2 classics that I still listen to pretty regularly

zappatton2 likes this.
  9. mongey

mongey SS.org Regular

I wouldn't say only good album, but their best by a mile .especially compared everything that came after it . Lateralus had an acceptable amount of indulgent filler. they went haywire after that

10. chipchappy

chipchappy thudmaster

and even then, just barely.

11. BlackMastodon

BlackMastodon \m/ (゚Д゚) \m/ Contributor

Yeah I remember the first time I listened to 10,000 Days I thought "that's it?" felt like more than half the album was interludes and filler.

Strobe and Ordacleaphobia like this.
  12. Floppystrings

Floppystrings banned

It isn't wild?

We all have backpain now, bad knees, arthritis, more bills, receding hairlines, gray hairs, full beards, slip-on and velcro shoes are looking pretty nice now.

Pretty soon we are going to talk about the new Axe-FX hearing aid, the high end Blackmachine custom canes, lawncare products...those damn kids on their hoverboard scooters in the street. :rofl:

Deadpool_25, Randy and KailM like this.
  13. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

To take that unpopular opinion further, it is Tool's best album and its still not a very good album.

Bodes and Chokey Chicken like this.
  14. Karg

Karg SS.org Regular

My first 'heavy' album and the one that got me into guitar and music.

Still my favorite Tool album as well.

15. gunshow86de

gunshow86de Beef Jerky Time

Pictured: Me reading the thread title
    [​IMG]

16. Strobe

Strobe SS.org Regular

While I love Tool and they have great songs on every album, I would agree that this is the first album that I do not have much of anything to complain about. The songs sound like songs not interludes. There is less of the silly filler stuff found on other albums that made it harder to just listen through. I am biased towards albums I can start on track 1 and just push play until it's over. This is one of those.

I was working as an intern in an organic chemistry lab (still in school) when it came out, and we blasted it in the lab a LOT.

zappatton2 and c7spheres like this.
  17. Ericjutsu

Ericjutsu SS.org Regular

Damn, this makes me feel old. It seems like this is still a new album.

zappatton2 likes this.
  18. wheresthefbomb

wheresthefbomb SS.org Regular

My first big musical love, and still a very important piece of music to me. I purchased it on vinyl a few years back and only break it out for special occasions.

That said, I have very conflicted feelings about this band in general. In addition to those listed above, the singer is "alleged" to have engaged in sexual impropriety toward young women. I find this allegation difficult to dismiss now because in high school, a good friend of mine who was also a big fan of Tool, told me she'd seen APC and had seen the singer engage in exactly the same behavior. I dismissed it, as teenagers are wont to do. I gave it no further thought until reading the twitter thread about this more recent account a few years ago, but it was nearly an exact recreation of the scene my friend had described. Even if I didn't err strongly on the side of "believe victims," this left very little room for doubt.

I still listen to their music, the impact it had on me isn't erased by their human failings, and ultimately I shouldn't be surprised that someone with such an obvious fascination with psychological violence is also engaging in it in his life.

I do keep this in mind while listening to the music now. A thought that often comes across is, "how can someone with such darkness in them also write about beautiful ideas?" Sometimes bad people make good art. What to do with that is complex and ultimately personal, but in this particular case I have found value in continuing to explore my relationship with their art. It's given a lot of good opportunities to examine my own assumptions and idolatrous tendencies, among other things.

19. Triple7

Triple7 The Decepticon

Great album for sure. Probably my third favorite Tool album, ironically. Aenima is king, and Undertow is close behind. I, like many, was a bit let down by 10,000 Days. But, in my opinion, Tool have never put out a bad album, just different degrees of good.

20. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Great album, love it. Probably my favorite of the group, very close behind 10,000 days as a full album. I think I like Aenima more than 10k because of a few songs but I’m an album guy over singles.
    I will say this though, I very much wish the guitars were re-recorded because the tone is hot Hershey squirts.