Late NGD ET Guitars Warmachine 6

Discussion in 'Standard Guitars' started by Symbol, Feb 9, 2016.

1. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Hey guys, i received my ET Guitars, Warmachine 6 a few days before Christmas of 2015. Heres my review after having it for 2 months.

It took about 6 months (due to delays that Ernie couldn't help with) for the guitar to be build. I received it within 3 working days, on 21st December 3:05pm and the guitar was packed in the deluxe ATA gator hardcase with no damage, scratch to the guitar and even the box was handled pretty well.
    First impression after picking it up :
    When i popped the case open, it didn't look like the pictures that Ernie took.
    It looks WAAAAAAY better in real life than it does in the pictures that he sent in the group.

The figure on the quilt looked real nice and it definitely popped in the super glossy finish. Took it out and gave it a strung after tuning it up. It was surprising that it was rather loud and the whole body was vibrating throughout due to the resonance.

Tone:

Unplugged, it was really loud and it have a long sustain.

I plugged it into my rig (EVH 5150 III 50 watts clean and with some pedals in the front like a sick as, dual fusion) and played some leads all over the place.

I'm primarily a lead player and i play more of the Guthrie Govan style , Intervals stuff and i was expecting a very trebly and a very honky kind of tone.
    But i was rather surprised with how the tone turned out to be. The tone is amazing. Its VERY smooth, snappy, balanced without the treble being too harsh and overly bright. The tones i'm getting out reminds me of Petrucci.

Slapped on the high gain channel on the 5150, im getting a nice chimey, dj0nty sound, when extended chords are played, all the strings ring out nicely without overpowering one another, its well balanced.

Playability:
    Usually i'm not a huge fan of thin necks like ibanez, musicmans but for this neck profile (THIN C), it reminded me of my PRS DC3 which had a pattern regular neck profile (wide and fat) but only thinner for the Wm6. The oil finish just makes it buttery smooth and so much easier to play.

After 2 months of owning it, settling it in the warm and humid climate, the neck have not moved, the action have not moved.

Issues :
    Everything is amazing just that i had one issue that really bothered me. which was the binding on the headstock. According to Ernie, he couldn't get it over so he filled the small gap with resin. i know its not a huge issue as it was just aesthetics but it was really bothering me. Spoke to Ernie about it, he offered to fix it or a partial refund to get it repaired.
    This just shows how much he cares about his customers and is willing to go the extra mile to make it right and the customer happy.

On ET guitars,

Honestly, after reading a few articles on SS.org and reading up some horror stories, i was very hesitant and had some doubts with how the guitar was going to turn out and i even spoke to Ernie about it. He reassured me that his work ethnics have changed and revamped the equipments he had in his workshop. i read that his builds have many problems and communication was poor but heck i was proven wrong.

Throughout the entire run, we were kept informed and updated with the progress, Ernie answered questions rather quick on his facebook, within the group. He was very pleasant and patient with me as I had a few last minute changes such as the finishes on body, inlays and the neck profile and he was very willing to answer any questions i had and last minute requests. He even give me a discount on the case due to the fact that shipping was real pricey.

All in all, (tl;dr )
    The guitar is amazing and it turned out WAY better than i was expecting and this run totally destroy any doubts i had with the build and company and the wait was totally worth it. I am definitely getting another build with Ernie in the near future.

Specs:
    - Pacific Mahogany one-piece body, with thick quilted maple top with Tiger Eye stain, in full Gloss. Ivoroid binding.
    - Rosewood neck with ebony fillets, ebony fretboard with offset white pearl dots, ivoroid binding.
    - Dimarzio Titan pickup set in white with gold poles.
    - Hipshot bridge and griplock tuners. Schaller Straplocks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Tree, cwhitey2, ferret and 7 others like this.
  2. beneharris

beneharris SS.org Regular

That top looks great. I didn't realize ET was having problems, I always assumed they were solid. Happy NGD!

3. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Thanks buddy! No worries becaused its all changed up and better now ;)

4. EarlWellington

EarlWellington SS.org Regular

I was on this run and can vouch for how smooth it went. I got lucky and had zero issues with my guitar... jealous of the deep quilt on this one

5. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Thanks buddy! There were some complicated ones that looked like demons (not even kidding) but after thinking for 2 weeks , i went with the simpler one. When Ernie first took the picture of this finish, i was wondering what happened to some of the lines. Turns out its super 3D looking, at certain angle, some of the lines converge or even disappear!

Looking forward to another ET!

6. Harry

Harry Doom man of Doom. Contributor

Looks sick and good write up too. The fact his builds take months and not a year or even longer is definitely quite appealing to me.

7. VVolverin3

VVolverin3 Cool beans

^ My ET build took close to 3 years. :p And this was a batch kind of run, so they usually go a bit quicker. (Not trying to bring the whole mood down!)

My general impression is that Ernie has been lifting his game, so it is good to see/hear.

Congrats Symbol, looks excellent, glad you're loving it.

8. Mattykoda

Mattykoda SS.org Regular

Wow! Enjoy it

9. Jaek-Chi

Jaek-Chi SS.org Regular

Gorgeous guitar mate, enjoy :)

10. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Haha! Thanks! Ernie is currently doing a 2nd run and eventually the 3rd run will come.
    Would have taken even faster but unfortunately he had some personal issues back home which he couldnt help with!

11. Spicypickles

Spicypickles Sweeps & Mops

Damn!! That top is super hot. The white pickups make it stand out even more. Your taste, sir, is impeccable.

12. Symbol

Symbol Well-Known Member

Thanks bud! There were a number of very nice figured quilts ,from huge wavey lines like this to insane figures with all kinds of demon lookin shape but i figured i would wanna go for something thats more uniformed, wavey. there were some insane burls in the run as well. Do check out the facebook page, ET guitars Australia, killer stuff. Wouldnt hesitate to blow cash on another one if i ever have more disposable income heh

13. JacobShredder

JacobShredder SS.org Regular

This looks like Nolly's blackmachine, which is one of my favorite guitars of all time.

14. beezwx

beezwx Member

Very nice, glad it came out so nice!

15. Lemons

Lemons SS.org Regular

Love it, I'm still upset I didn't get a chance to play this one in the shop!

16. Insomnia

Insomnia Needs more strings!

This is cool and all, but man, there are WAY too many copies. Beside the original black machines, we now have the Hypemachines and the Skerv Raptors, not to mention a bunch of other luthiers jumping onto the bandwagon.

17. azyat

azyat 吉他之道

Cool finish, looks like a tiger hiding in the bush:)