Late Classical/Romantic/Impressionistic metal?

Discussion in 'General Music Discussion' started by getaway_fromme, Oct 23, 2013.

1. getaway_fromme

getaway_fromme SS.org Regular

Hey guys, I know this is uber random, but I'm getting so bored with metal nowadays. I'm grooving on Animals as Leaders and Periphery and the like, but I wish there were a better blend between the two. I'm looking for something groovy with chordal structures and motives similar to the Late classical/Romantic/Impressionistic era, aka Wagner, Schubert, Debussy, etc......I wonder if such a band exists.

I'm just getting so extremely bored of bands that can't utilize more than a 4 chord harmonic structure and then NOISE (in my mind, chaotic breakdowns). Animals as Leaders is a bit much for me, rhythmically, and Periphery is a bit too simplistic, harmonically.

I'm sorry, I'm a classical nerd with an aesthetic for metal. Are there any bands which fit this bill?

2. TheDeathOfMusic

TheDeathOfMusic SS.org Regular

I'm sure someone here will find something similar to what you're looking for, but honestly my solution to a problem like this is write the music you want to hear.

3. getaway_fromme

I'm almost totally to that point....

4. ArtDecade

ArtDecade John Bohlinger's Dank Stash

I don't think I have ever seen Groovy and Wagner in the same sentence before... That said, good luck finding some new music. I listen to country. :cool:

5. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Mekong Delta? They're a Thrash band that has been around for a good long while that is HEAVILY influenced by classical music (I belive their last album was entire in Rondo format, and one of their albums is Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibiton", both just the band and the band with an orchestra). I'd post some clips if I wasn't at work, but they could be of interest to you. Not quite groove oriented, but definitely some killer riffs.

6. MikeH

MikeH Bring the gain

Perhaps?

7. Waelstrum

Waelstrum All Fourths Advocate

Adagio has quite rich harmonies, which is what I'm guessing is part of what the OP is looking for. They also get pretty groovy at times, like in this when it gets to Solvet Saeclum in Favilla at about 2:40.

Beyond Twilight are probably another band worth giving a listen. They're probably more Schubert than Wagner in harmony in this one, although they quote from a wide variety of the masters, including Liszt and Stravinsky. In terms of groove, I don't know if this is particularly groovy in either a funk or djent sense, but I found the rhythm of the bassline in this to be quite cute.

Not particularly groovy, but if you're looking for Romantic period style harmony in metal, Cacophony is unavoidable.

Even a band like Children of Bodom have some Romantic sensibilities when it comes to harmony. In this example, they don't use particularly complex harmonic ideas, but the key moves about quite a bit. Try to follow along with it, I bet you won't get it first try! It's mostly common chord modulation, but they go some interesting places with it that were first popularised by Beethoven.

Whether or not you find this groovy is another matter. This one is mostly just here to show that there's more harmonic richness in metal than there may first appear.

8. Ralyks

Ralyks The One Who Knocks Contributor

Going back to what I mentioned before:

9. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

Groovy with chordal structures and motifs... You should definitely write what you want to hear because I'd like to listen too!

I think I know where you're coming from. If you're looking for bands with similar rich and expansive harmonic horizons as composers rather than bands that just try to emulate typical classical stuff (which always comes across as too contrived), I'd suggest:

Chimp Spanner
    Planet X
    Plini
    Dream Theater
    Opeth
    Meshuggah (if you're a minimalist)

It's a pretty niche thing you're looking for and there aren't many bands out there that can escape the tonic for too long or employ and develop their themes and motifs.

10. getaway_fromme

Dude, thank you so much for these. This really helps me narrow it down. So Children of Bodom....other than the tiniest bit of modal mixture and chromatic planing, the entire piece is diatonic in natural minor. Moving the key around isn't really what I'm referring to, but rather the functioning of harmonies. Bach, while chromatic, is a bit simplistic, similar to Children of Bodom, but still is bad ass because, it's Bach. You can't top that shit. Fleshgod Apocalypse is freaking amazing right now, Adagio and Cacophony are a bit "cheesy" but I'm going to give it more time to sink in.

Pure harmony, seamless, and it can still have a groove. Mekong Delta is pretty cool, but I feel they are dissonant just for the sake of it, it doesn't come across as "meaningful" or "well-thoughtout" to me. Definitely more of a cell structure. I know that sounds asinine, but I hope I'm getting my point across.

and Chimp Spanner is the SHIT!

Wagner - Prelude to Tristan und Isolde

Tchaikovsky Piano Sonata in C Sharp - Opus 80 (first few minutes)

11. Adam Of Angels

Adam Of Angels The GAS Man

You need Symphony X:

12. Pweaks

Pweaks SS.org Regular

I don't know if The Human Abstract is too core for you but their guitarist A.J. Minette is very much influenced by classical music. I believe the reason why he quit the band at one point was that he was tired of playing metal and wanted to pursue a solo career.

13. jonajon91

jonajon91 New Picture

What about necrophagist? Uber heavy, probably a bit so for this, but they quote a number of classical styles and a lot of the solo work would not sound out of place in a violin solo from Vivaldi.

14. ddtonfire

ddtonfire SS.org Regular

:agreed:

15. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

Out of the box harmonic structures...there are so many metal bands with or without groove that fit this bill. Unfortunately most people write them off immediately, usually due to some rushed judgment regarding vocals or production. Even the chaotic breakdowns you mentioned in your first post as "noise", c'mon man. As a musician, you should very well realize that if a band can play something extremely chaotic and still be on time and in cue with transitions, it's far more than just noise. You just gotta dig deeper with your ear. That being said, here some examples of bands that take harmony to the next level (grooviness varying):

16. getaway_fromme

Unfortunately, they're aren't. Many play patterns and permutations of said patterns, but don't understand in a musical context what they're doing. While this can lead to some interesting harmonies, I find this more an exercise in dissonance.

From the harmonic perspective of someone who's head is stuck up the a s s of Late Romanticism, it is just noise. I love rhythm, but that's what I hear. an exercise in rhythm and how well one can play the lowest open string. You rarely hear a song that doesn't just consist of a few sections in a similar key thrown together, some noodling, a breakdown, some dissonance, and maybe a solo. This is what I'm trying to break away from. At the core, most of it is still based around the same stupid 4 chords or less. It's OBVIOUSLY not just noise, but it's not what I'm looking for ALL THE TIME.

Quite the opposite. Things are boring because it's easy to see what's going on. I teach theory and aural training. I already know what they're doing.

These are awesome, thank you. I will listen in more detail on my day off!

17. Eptaceros

Eptaceros Wayfarer

I see what you're saying, man. From what I gather, the bands you're thinking of and referring to in your posts are bands that I don't listen to. I fully agree with the fact that a shitload of metal bands stick to one open string, followed by some out-of-context pattern that gets shifted around, etc. But, really, there ARE a lot of metal bands that stray from this redundant writing, they're just not well-exposed and don't have fan bases large enough to perpetuate hype. That's why I post bands like Martyr and Concealment...not Symphony X and Children of Bodom.

Also, I like to think I have pretty good ear as well. But that doesn't mean there are bands that can't challenge your ears, no matter how much ear training you've done. These bands are few and far in between, but they do exist. Ulcerate being a prime example...semi-linear song structures with motifs strewn throughout, polyphony, interesting harmonic functions, and so on. Ulcerate doesn't have the same groove that djent bands possess, but it grooves in it's own way :)

A few nice polyphonic moments on this track:

0:42
    1:43
    4:08

Let me know if these kinds of bands are changing the way you see modern metal :)

18. outlawzeng

outlawzeng SS.org Regular

The Human Abstract is amazing, especially their last album Digital Veil. It's just too bad they don't record more music. I think the members of that band are just going in different directions in their lives. Here are a few of my favorite "neo-classical" metal bands. I can't see the links to youtube in the previous posts, so please forgive me if I'm being rudundant.

Wretched(instrumental sections especially are INSANE)
    Art By Numbers
    Corelia

19. source field

source field SS.org Regular

Not similar, but still awesome and refreshing (Schoenberg-related content)

20. mgh

mgh Betwixt and Between

i think Carach Angren feature some of the best classical instruments within metal -

Winds were a kinda Norway BM supergroup but the main guitarist and keys were very into classical -

and Bal-Sagoth's keyboardist (and erstwhile drummer) Jonny Maudling is a master at symphonic keys arrangements -

none of which are displaying a grasp of Debussian fourths or musique concrete but do display good orchestration