Laney IronHeart 15 Studio

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment' started by Kilroy, Apr 10, 2020.

1. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

I asked this question in other threads that aren't specific to the IRT 15 but I think it needs it's own thread.

Anyone have an IronHeart Studio 15? I love this amp but it's not quite loud enough to keep up the guys I play with after a few drinks. I'm wondering if I can run a line from the DI out to Peavey power amp. 1/4" line level input. Is there any other way? Anyone with experience doing this sort of thing?Any help appreciated.

2. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

You will probably need a load on the 15s output if you use the DI out.

A better way to do this is to run the FX send into the FX return on the PV amp.

Kilroy likes this.
  3. projectjetfire

projectjetfire Guitar Addict

Kilroy likes this.
  4. Soya

Soya Poor person

Just for the record, you can run the studio with no speaker or dummy load and use the di or USB out for signal.

Kilroy likes this.
  5. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

@GoldDragon No FX on the Peavey 50/50 power amp. Thanks again @projectjetfire. Going to test this morning after I put them into a rack.

6. Roadsterjosh

Roadsterjosh SS.org Regular

The input of the power amp is the FX input in this case, a loop is placed between the preamp and power amp. For your use the laney is the pre, and then whatever power amp you want it the return.

7. GoldDragon

GoldDragon SS.org Regular

Oh, I didnt know its a rack. In that case just run to the input. But if you have a PV (or any) head, when you route something to the FX return, that goes directly to the power section, bypassing the preamp.

The FX send on an amp is after the preamp, and if you take the send and run it to another amplifier, it will bypass the power section. In fact, you could keep the amp in standby.

With the Ironheart studio you have two options. You could use the DI out, which incorporates power tube saturation, or you could use the FX send, which is directly after the preamp and doesnt go through the power section.

I would try both to see which sounds better. I would guess that at lower volumes, the DI output will sound better, at higher volumes the FX send would sound better.

8. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

I tried both ways in both channels of the 50/50 to a 2X12 and the volume is low. using either the DI and FX send produced the same volume. It isn't even as loud as the Ironheart through a 1X12. Maybe my power amp is needing service? Very disappointing.

9. projectjetfire

Is it a stereo cab? Im pretty sure that if its a stereo power amp, it needs to be run in stereo (as a load in each channel) Somethings not right there....

10. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

The 50/50 is stereo yes and mono too when you plug into channel 1 there is a switch on the back to bridge the two channels to give you 100 watts mono. I have a Digitech GSP 2101 preamp so I will set that up to check the power amp.

11. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

Ok I set up the 2101 to the peavey power amp and it kicked out pretty loud as it should. so I guess there's an issue with the signal from the IRT. Maybe the cable? I doubt it. Any ideas?

12. projectjetfire

Next to the DI there are two tiny toggle, make sure its in the +4db position

13. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

Yes I did that too. +4db was the setting. I tried the -30db setting and almost not hear anything at half volume.

14. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

Laney has zero support. Terrible customer service if you ask me.

15. sharedEQ

sharedEQ SS.org Regular

There is a five year warranty on Laney amps. Contact where you bought it, they should have list of local authorized repair centers.

16. projectjetfire

How loud are the channel volumes on the IRT? And you are plugged into the 15 watt input Im assuming...

17. Kilroy

Kilroy SS.org Regular

@sharedEQ I bought it second hand virtually new so I'm not sure the warranty stands but I'll look into that.
    @projectjetfore The IRT sounds like a normal 15 watt should and yes I'm plugged into the 15w channel